3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No Start! Keep buying time but still no fix! CP3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Start! Keep buying time but still no fix! CP3?

My truck began starting hard a few months back. I didnt think much of it at the time but eventually stopped starting. I changed my fuel filter and bang, it started instantly.
a couple of weeks later same thing happened. I had a garage look at it and they cleaned a check valve and then it started no problem.
A month after that it did it again. I started reading a lot about the fuel system and saw that the lift pump design was faulty. I had a garage do a pressure test for me and they said the pump needed replacing. Instead of putting the same pump in or the insanely expensive dealer fix, I went with the Raptor RP-100.
The truck started fine for a few days and again no start.
I had a few codes pop up on my dash p0483, p0480, p2509. Basically it was saying my fan clutch was shot. I changed it but to no avail still no start.
I had a guy who works for freightliner take a look at the truck and he hooked his scanner up to it and didnt show anything. He tinkered around a little and by cracking a fuel line and putting a battery booster on it he was able to get the truck to start. Once it starts it runs fine. He said he was 95% certain that the CP3 was gone.
My only way to know for sure that this is the case is to take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it. The problem is that the dealer in my area has a horrible reputation for service. Horrible is actually putting it nicely. In the past 3 years of me living here I have not heard one good story about their service.
I am at a loss for what to do. I would hate to replace this pump and still have a no start issue. Any suggestions? I apologize for being so long winded but I wanted to get all of the info out there. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something doesn't make sense. Cracking the fuel line should make it harder to start, not easier. All your other little fixes along the way don't make sense either, unless it's an ECM issue, and it doesn't sound like it is. If it was the CP3, your truck would NOT run fine after it started. Most CP3 issues lead to a truck that starts but doesn't have any power. Your issue sounds a lot like a few bad injectors...

I'd also suggest filling out your profile so we know more about your truck. It's in the USER CP tab.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 PM

After the last mechanic cracked that line and started the truck, it started 6-8 more times last night. Today I went to start it after it being plugged in and again no start. He told me that if the injectors were bad that it would run very rough? I have just been spending money like it is going out of style chasing this problem and dont seem to have gotten anywhere.

I added info about my truck on my profile. It really only asks for basic info though. What info could I add that would be helpful?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
go to usercp on upper left corner. complete your signature with the year and what mods have been done if any. welcome to DTR and we will help you as much as we can. I have access to chrysler and will help as much as I can here
Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 AM

Im working on a 2003 right now with the same issue you are having. Didnt want to start this morning, hooked up computer to it and noticed it doesnt make over 500psi cranking. It takes 4k psi to fire the injecotrs if i remember correctly. A little starting fluid and it will fire up. Once the starting fluid hits the engine turns faster just enough to build more pressure and fire the injectors. It does sound like your CP3 could be on its way out. Im swapping the CP3 tonight on my buddies truck. Ill post back with results. Also think you mentioned you had but check your high pressure relief valve to see if its bleeding off rail pressure. Pull the banjo bolt out from the top of the rail and if fluid comes out once you start it then its no bueno. Watch it from a far in case its a gusher!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM

That sounds exactly like what is going on with my truck. I also had someone start it with starting fluid and it fired right away. I am very eager to hear how that CP3 swap goes. I am hesitant to change mine with the fear that it is the injectors or something else. Thanks for your reply!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM

If she's not spinning fast enough, I'd check the following:

a. Load test batteries
b. Check all 12VDC + & - connections
c. Load test starter

Cracking the fuel line is old school when the injector(s) was air bound. I'm not sure how the CP3 reacts to this procedure?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 PM

injectors.............

I went through this earlier last year. Check the basics, but it sounds like an injector issue. I had replaced the batteries and lift pump prior to reading up on it. Its common for the trucks and unfortunatly a little expensive. I pulled them myslef and had them bench tested. #2 had pooched but the rest were decent. Yes, I'll have to replace the rest sometime, but I have extra filters in play to buy as much time as I can. If you have a injector shop that can test em go for it. If economics arent that big a deal there is lots out there, from stock to grabbing an extra 20-60 hp.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Just read a little further into the posts so far. My truck ran like a champ, even after I couldnt start it without starting fluid or letting it sit for 3-4 hours. Your mechanic may get a little sidetracked by symtoms and basic tests. If one injector is failing, the truck cant build enough rail pressure at 500 rpm to allow the computer to get it going. If you need to give ehter, it causes the jump in rpm closer to idle, the computer sees what it wants in pressure and off she goes. Mine passed a fuel return test, because only 1 injector was out of spec, but averaged out with the rest. It's fustrating and scary to drop $2k without being 100%. However search the forums and you'll see thread after thread with the same hard start/ no start issue. its super common on the 03-04 CRs. The truck fuel system is underfiltered.