3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No fuel stabilizer and really cold weather... uh oh!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No fuel stabilizer and really cold weather... uh oh!

Well, I've been very busy working. So much so that I haven't added anything to my fuel the last two tankfulls. Big mistake. Last night it was in the single digits and today was only in the teens. Driving home, I glanced at my fuel pressure guage which is always hovering around 20psi. Well I noticed about 17psi. No big deal I thought. A couple miles later it's at 15 psi. Hmmmm... Then 12 psi. Now I'm worried. 10....8....5....2psi. I pulled over, leaving the truck running to check my fuel lines and filter to see if I sprung a leak or something... Everything looked good. I know the pump is fine. I feel it running with my hand. I'm thinking my fuel was gelling. Made it home finally with 2 psi max pressure. Now I've got to get something in my tank to help disolve the wax.... Darn it... Hopefully some PS will work. I'll take my wifes car in the AM and get some. Hopefully I can pour it in the tank and turn the key on and let the pump run for 10 or 15 minutes and let the fuel circulate from the cp3 back to the tank and get me back to normal. Any thoughts? Other than me being stupid for not adding an additive...
Old 12-09-2006, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty unlikley that will work, but I hope it does. If it doesn't I learned the hard way a couple of days ago how to un-gell diesel in a plastic truck with lots of wires. It started and ran for about a 1/4 mile then quit....dead! By no means is this a safe thing to do but it had very good results. As long as you don't have a full tank you will be in the clear. The less fuel in the tank the better actually. First I set a weed burner under the engine for about 30 min with no results. I was getting desperate. So I decided it needed a good hot dose of fuel. Found a metal 5 gallon bucket filled it up and set the weed burner on it until it was around 130 degrees F. Poured it in let the fuel pump cycle 3 times and it fired. In went some winter fuel. Whew that sucked but at least I got it to fire. With no drama I might add.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine gelled last Monday. Waxed the filter. I guess Ft Knox PX does not have blended fuel.

I ended up having to change the filter, it would idle, but could only get 35 mph out of it flat on the floor.

BIG dose of PS now in the tank. My fault, I normally run it year round, but ran out.

My neighbor waxed the filter on his New Holland yesterday. Also, the tank sump froze. That is the project for today.

Ed
Old 12-09-2006, 04:22 AM

I would keep a bottle of the 911 in any diesel vehicle you have, just for times like that one. I think Power Service is the manufacturer.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:33 AM

I usually use 8 ounces of power service to each tank. I have not had any problems and I do this every fillup year round.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:15 AM

Well, I added some 911 and ran my fuel pump for about a half hour, keeping an eye on my voltage and fuel pressure. Now I'm up to 15psi, so something worked. It should be back up to 20psi once I drive her and charge the batterys. Lesson learned... I'll never be without some type of additive for gelling in cold weather.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Had a similar problem last night along the dang highway during rush hour . I unfortunately don't have a fuel pressure gauge. I was driving along and then all the sudden my rpms started bogging and falling quickly. Eventually the truck stopped dead. I was able to get the truck back my garage and dumped in a bottle of diesel 911 and changed the fuel filter this morning. Problem ensuing, I can't get the truck to fire?/? Any suggestions? I just topped off my tank before this happened and the truck was running fine all day prior to the refill.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:03 PM

what temps are you seeing right now.
Even with #2 diesel it shouldnt be gelling unless it is below -40 deg cels, It will get thicker, but should not gell.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:23 PM

It's supposed to be warming up this and the next couple of days. Around high 30's to low 40's. It has been bitterly cold though for the past 2 weeks, well below zero w/ wind chill. Yesterday it was zero out at 8 AM w/ 10-15mph winds. I've been running 11% Bio for months now, the stuff is supposed to be blended for winter but I don't know anymore.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:18 PM

Maybe it gelled up in the fuel line itself...? And what is the farenheit equivalent for -40c...?
Old 12-09-2006, 02:37 PM

trik396; With my walbro I have higher pressure in the winter. The colder it gets the higher the pressure. I never use a antigel until it gets -10F.
Could be with all them filters you have some gel in them. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:56 PM

Whats the best way to solve the gelled fuel line, quickly? just wait for it to warm up sitting in the garage a couple of days? The I could make the truck fire and run for a sec or so and then it would die again. I drained the canister and the changed the fuel filter. Now it won't even fire, at all. Will the911 work its way thru the lines just by being in the tank? I've tried priming the engine and leaving the key in the "run" position to help rid air in the lines. I don't know what totry next.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:12 PM

Buckeye, I wish I could tell you what to try, but I have no idea... Sorry.

Slim, I've got higher pressures in the winter as well. Today I was cruising with 22-25psi. 25 seems to be the highest I've gotten and I hope it doesn't go higher because I've heard those who initially had over 30psi and had problems with the stock fuel filter losing it's seal and leaking. Some cracked the cap...
Don't think I should worry about that, though... But 2psi is kinda scary... especially with all the filtration I have...
Old 12-09-2006, 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=trik396;1244084 And what is the farenheit equivalent for -40c...?[/QUOTE]

Its the same . Minus 40 c is minus 40f. Bone numbing cold by any measurement !!!
Old 12-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have been hauling RV's for about 6 months now and since the change over to ULSD and the colder weather I have learned that too much conditioner can and will clog the filter [s]. However, this depends on what additives each vendor has put into THEIR fuel to help with the lost lubricity and the blending for winter.
I had gelled fuel at minus 2F just this last trip. Fuel pressure was low and I have the Walbro. The pump on the slip tank barely pumped to the factory tank.
Theres also some question with regards to what REALLY is a winter blend with ULSD now and just how much of what additive works with the new chemical combination of the ULSD and winter fuel.

I was changing out the slip tank filter once a month [12-15K miles] until now and with the cold weather its now every trip until I figure out a good combination and who has a good winter blend.

Its not as simple as it once was. I ran north/south for 13 yrs and only used #2 fuel with Howes and never ever gelled. Now...I have encountered it too many times. Apparently the fuel additives can displace sediment and wax and clog the filters REAL FAST if its not the correct mixture.

Scotty

Quick Reply: No fuel stabilizer and really cold weather... uh oh!