3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Newbie needs some information

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs some information

I just bought this truck after doing research on this website. I have a few questions about the truck and possible modifications to make it as economical and durable as I can for my use. The truck has just under 50K and the previous owner used it for around town driving except for a couple months when he towed a medium sized travel trailer maybe 6-8 times. He maintained the truck very well and the fuel injectors were just changed on warranty by the dealer. He said they told him the truck wasn’t used enough towing and working hard and the around town driving was why the injectors needed to be replaced. Sounds a little odd to me!

1) It sounds like I need to put on a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel pressure. At what point do I need to change the fuel pump system to assure adequate fuel to the injector pump?

2) I will use the truck for my daily driver and I will pull the trailer maybe 8-12 times a year. I drive conservatively and don’t push hard when towing the trailer. The transmission has the tow/haul mode. What exactly does that do? I have noticed that when in the tow/haul mode, it is locked out of OD. I would assume that it could be driven in OD at freeway speeds when towing, but put in tow/haul when climbing or driving below freeway speed. I have been driving it in tow/haull all the time and taking it out when driving over 50 mph or so. I plan on having the transmission serviced and changing to synthetic fluid. I live and travel mainly in western Washington where the temperatures don't get high even in the summer, so will that be sufficient for the transmission?

3) Adding an engine programmer would add some power for towing and make the engine more efficient and possibly making it more economical....a few mpg. The Smarty Jr sounds like it would work for me and doesn’t leave a footprint that would put the warranty in jeopardy, right? I paid the fee and had the warranty changed to my name. The warranty information is somewhat confusing. Obviously the 3yr/36k warranty is gone, and the 7yr/70k drivetrain warranty (for engine, transmission, driveline and front and rear axles?) is still effective as is the 7yr/100K Cummins engine warranty. What does that cover? Block, injector pump, fuel pump, computer, turbo????

4) Changing to a K&N type air filter and using Fleetguard oil filters and changing oil every5,000 miles is the plan.

Are there any other issues these trucks have that I should be aware of or preventative maintenance to lessen the potential problems?

I really appreciate the information this website offers and would appreciate any input to keep this truck health on the road for many years to come.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM

That's a lot of questions!

1) A fuel pressure gauge is a good idea...Is your lift pump mounted in the tank?

2) Tow/Haul helps you from lugging the engine. 48RE's require synthetic fluid, and came from the factory with it.

3)Mads Electronics products are the way to go. The Cummins warranty covers all engine related components.

4)Fleetguard are good filters...K&N filters are a touchy subject around here.

Add some sort of 2 micron fuel filtration setup to protect your injectors.

Enjoy your new truck.

HTH

mcd
Old 01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
megacabdad is right on.

Do a search here for K&N filters and you will have LOTS of reading.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:59 PM

i would go banks intake and banks high ram will help get the power and the mileage...other than that don't "baby" it too much....you shold run it hard every now and then to clean out the soot and enjoy what you bought and the phenominal power that these trucks are built to run and the LOVE it!! be faithful with the fluid!!! oil is "cheap" compared to other parts!!

and run a fuel additive such as Power Service....they like it....
Old 01-27-2009, 02:46 PM

My understanding is the pump is in the tank starting with the 04.5, so mine should be on the engine?
The tranny fluid from the factory is synthetic already, so would 50K be a good time to change it?
I will do a search on the air filter situation.
Add a 2 micron filter separation? That must be other than the stock fuel filter? Where is a good place to get one?
I have been using Power Service Kleen diesel in the fuel.

Thanks again
Old 01-27-2009, 03:23 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dmt58
My understanding is the pump is in the tank starting with the 04.5, so mine should be on the engine?
The tranny fluid from the factory is synthetic already, so would 50K be a good time to change it?
I will do a search on the air filter situation.
Add a 2 micron filter separation? That must be other than the stock fuel filter? Where is a good place to get one?
I have been using Power Service Kleen diesel in the fuel.

Thanks again
Your lift pump is mounted on the back of the fuel filter housing under the hood. Since you only have about 50k on it, it should be good for another 30-50k. But since this is the weakest of the lift pumps prone to failure, do keep on eye on your pressure. If you see the pressure drop to something between 2psi to zero when accelerating, it is starting to go. It only puts out about 8-10 psi stock in good shape.

50k would be a good time to change your tranny fluid... if for no other reason, you really don't know how hot it has gotten in the past. The factory fluid is indeed synthetic as stated above.

Choose a filter, or even filter system, you like other than K&N. Just about anything filters better. I had very good results with my Airraid drop in filter; this is as evidenced from my oil analysis. Amsoil nanofilter is another good choice... AFE, S&B and others also make quality filters and filter systems.

The 2 micron fuel filter is a very good idea for injector protection from bad fuel; however, your stock lift pump is not going to do the job with it. So make an informed decision as to what you want. If you get the 2micron system, it is then time to change the lift pump too. You can get 5 micron Balwin filters that run in the stock housing and will work with the stock lift pump too. There are complete systems like Air Dog or FASS; or you can get a "Walbro" pump with a Glacier Diesel filter system. All can be had through this forums' store or though advertisers and dealers here.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:41 PM

I am not sure where the fuel pump is....I looked behind the fuel filter housing and there is a small black thing there. Is that the lift pump? Or could it be in the tank. If it is in the tank, do I still need a fuel pressure gauge? How do I tell if this truck is an 04 or 04.5 and where the fuel pump is located? The manufacture date is 6/04. I guess I need to figure our where it is before going any further.
What kind of tranny fluid should be used? Mopar or something else. When it is serviced can all the fluid be replaced or just some of it? Every 30K change the fluid and adjust the bands sounds like the way to go and hope for a 48RE that has a long life?
There is so much information here to absorb!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeap, if it is a small round black thing made of plastic directly behind.