3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New member looking for opinions regarding new C600

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member looking for opinions regarding new C600

I just purchased a new Ram 2500 QC SB 2WD. I traded in an 01 F350 CC 4WD powerstroke because of several things, one important one being mileage. I gave up 4WD but not the automatic hoping to get something above 20MPG when cruising on the highway. I know how I drive affects it a lot, but I wanted to start with something that was capable of great mileage and work down depending upon my need for speed. After much research I decided to go with the 305/555 engine and requested that. The dealer found me a truck, faxed me the sheet, looked good, they got it and I bought it on the 3rd. Yesterday while getting some information off the truck, I noticed the label on the engine said 325HP. So I dug out the window sticker (it was in the glove box I had never looked at it) and sure enough it said Cummins 600. I was shocked and felt foolish, but I never considered opening the hood to make sure the correct engine was there after reviewing papers that said it was.

My dilema now is what to do next. I immediately called the dealer and talked to the salesman. I believe it to be an honest mistake. The paper he faxed me said 305/555. He believes the dealer it came from entered it into the computer incorrectly.

As I said, my main concern is MPG and I don't have much to go on. I have only filled it completely one time. I refilled it and calculated mileage, for the 134 miles I got 17.1 MPG. The overhead computer is reads from 16.9 to 17.3. There is only 640 miles on the truck (Had 350 when I picked it up due to trip from original dealer). This has been mostly city driving with some highway. I went to another dealer and drove a 305 2WD and its computer hovered around 18, but that was only a short test after resetting it, with no real highway driving.

What do people think the mileage increase will be when broken in? What type of mods can get a few more MPG out of it?

A local reputable shop says they haven't been seeing much change after the breakin on the 03's, and they just have not seen any 04's yet. They questioned me going to much effort to get the 305/555. Since it was only in production 1. 5 years, there might be some issues down the road.

At $1.50 a gallon, the difference in operating will be about $25 per month. if there is really a 5mpg difference in the engines. The dealer I got it from thinks there is only a 1-2mpg difference in the engines.

The build date is 2/4/04, so no TSBs apply to it. Maybe all the early problems have been ironed out.

Depending upon what the dealer says/offers, I am looking for some opinions.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're getting about 17 mpg already, that's pretty good with that many miles on the truck. My build date is 2/15 and I get 20 mpg on the highway with about 900 miles on the truck. I know some say that break in won't change mpg but getting more miles on the motor and seating the rings can't hurt and I think it has to help. BTW, if I have a tank with only freeway miles on it, the computer is around 17 mpg but I calculate it by hand and get 20. Also, the trip says about 320 miles when the guage is on half, so I know it must be pretty good mpg.

I would say keep the truck. If you think the miles that were already on the truck didn't hurt it and things look like they're in good shape, keep it! No more dealing with your dealer and hassle. Just enjoy driving!
Old 05-08-2004, 10:52 AM

First let me say "welcome aboard". You had your reasons for expressly requesting the old motor. IMO you should have received exactly what you asked for. It doesn't sound like there was any room for doubt in your request to the dealer. Does it rise to the level of replacing the truck? Only you can answer that. I do think if your dealer is reputable, they will make it right by either replacing the truck or offering something in return. What, if anything, in return is also entirely up to you. It may well be a difficult negotiation, and nobody likes to enter into this type of situation. If you are the type of person I am, you will kick yourself in the *** every chance you get, if you don't get it fixed to your satisfaction. I would go back to the dealer in person and sit down with the sales manager. With old inventories dwindling, it may not be possible to get the exact truck you want with the old motor, so you may end up sacrificing something else. Then it will be (again) up to you to decide if it is all worth it. The sales manager may counter with an offer. Could be small, could be large. Maybe 10 free oil changes, maybe an extended warranty, or some accessories you would like. The easiest thing to do is to just drop it, but I don't think that personally I could do that. I don't envy your position at all, but it sounds as if you think something needs to be done to close the issue. Whether you demand a new truck, or live with the old one, I hope you will end up in a better position than you are right now. I would tend to agree with High Ten about your mileage. Seems better than average on a 600 with less than 1,000 miles on the clock. Keep us posted, and know that others are wishing you the best. Buying a new truck is supposed to be happy time. -v12xke
Old 05-08-2004, 11:35 AM

I tried and tried to get a 555 but could not find any...... well any that even resembled what I wanted...... I am generally very happy with my 600 4x4 with now 1900 miles on it.... I am getting a solid 15-16 out of it with about 65/35 split hwy/city but I also love smashing the skinny pedal and I figured if I could better control myself I would edge up to the 17-18 range and that is darn near what my 01 2wd auto ctd got.... (18-19) same style of driving...I used to run an Edge EZ on my 01 and my mileage was always over 20 up to 22... and tonz of power.... I am just waiting for a chip company to come out with something for the 600 with the electronic wastegate and all I can see lots of improvements possible..... come on EDGE,Banks,Bully Dog>>>> we are waiting....

Rick
Old 05-08-2004, 12:24 PM

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, it should be a happier time. I agree that the mileage I am getting is on the high side for what I found researching. That makes it a harder decision.

Another thing that comes up is the issue of an exhaust brake. If I get a 305/555 then the version of the 48re on it will probably never have a factory certified brake. From reading and my build date of 2/04, it seems possible mine may have the necessary hardware (maybe a small part upgrade) so that a software change will allow me to put on a factory certified brake that doesn't void the warranty. I don't know if I will get one, but being able to put a factory authorized brake on is a big plus.

Waiting to hear back from dealership.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:22 PM

I hear a few people talking about the mileage computer... I read on another site that the computer is not that accurate, Appherently, it takes the current mileage, and some part of the overall mileage since last reset, and some fraction of overall mileage to give you the reading... Not sure if what I heard is correct, but thought I would pass it along...

Good Luck, and I recommend you do whatever will make you happy... You paid a lot for this truck, if it aint right, make the dealer make it right!