3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Goerend transmission - Strange shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Goerend transmission - Strange shifting

I just picked up my truck from the shop this afternoon after a complete transmission rebuild with all Goerend components (TC, VB, input shaft, 1-2 apply lever, flex plate, etc, etc).

At mid-to-high throttle the transmission shifts flawlessly. Nice and firm, but not too harsh... a zillion times better than the stocker!! I am amazed by how much better the power is getting to the ground, and my Smarty Jr is still on SW#1.

However at light throttle (the way an average person would drive in traffic) the 1-to-2 shift is funky. I would describe it as a "BUMP-BUMP" sensation. It's not harsh, definitely not a "BANG". More like two distinct thumps, maybe 0.2 seconds apart. It does this every single time it shifts from 1st to 2nd.

Is this typical of these transmissions? Is is something that can be addressed with a VB or band adjustment? Will it get better (or worse) with time? Am I expecting too much (comfort) from my high-performance trann'y?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Cheers
-Mark
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark -- I think you were the guy that bought my air/intake a few years ago. I have a built Goerend myself. I have the same sort of issue once in a while. Not often, but once in a while. I probably have 50-60 thousand on this tranny now, but no problems besides that. I just think it might be a "glitch", but not an issue with me. Just a side note - just before I swapped out the stock tranny, and knew the new one was being shipped, I turned up my Smarty all the way, and within two days, the original tranny was slipping pretty bad! I love my Goerend!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem solved... it was the governor pressure solenoid.
With a new solenoid installed the transmission now shifts like a dream!!

Chris, yes I bought your air-box... thanks for saving my bacon on that one
I could make the old TC slip at full throttle with the Smarty at SW1... But this Goerend one locks up so hard that I can't imagine I'll ever be able to slip it (that's a good thing!).

-Mark