3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Diesel Owner In Need OF Info.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Diesel Owner In Need OF Info.

Hello to all,
I just purchased a new 05' QC 3500 (black) CTD, 3 weeks ago. I race go-karts and I will be pulling a 48' all aluminum Optima race trailer with living quarters (gooseneck). I have read through my manual, (skimming through some of it) because this is my first diesel powered truck. I figure that their is no better place to learn about my new truck than the on-line forums. I have looked through a-lot of the forums and it seems as if the injectors are a big problem on the Cummins engines. I would like everyone to chime in and let me know what I need to do to keep the engine in tip-top shape and also what upgrades I need to be looking at installing. I'm thinking of a Banks six-gun bundle or an Edge attitude modification but I'm not sure what this will do to my warranty and I'm really not sure which is the best. I'm kinda clueless right now but I do catch on fast and once I set into figuring something out it almost becomes and obsession until I do. I would appreciate any/all advice and/or recommendations.
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 09-03-2005, 02:15 PM

Well if you install either of those it would void your warrenty. Also, when you get a chance post of pics of your truck with that trailer! Sounds like you have a sweet set-up!
Old 09-03-2005, 02:53 PM

The statement "Well if you install either of those it would void your warrenty" is a bit broad. Read up on the Magnuson-Moss act. Power boxes, whatever the brand, all configure the engine to operate outside of factory prescribed limits. If you have a power train failure while using a power box, you will not have the benefit of DC paying the repair bill, nor should you. If you want your power train warranty to remain intact, don't use a power box. Some will tell you that all you need to do is remove it before you take the truck in for warranty work. This may or may not work. Even if it does, is it ethical to do so? A matter for your conscience to decide. That aside, a power box won't void your warranty on a warranty claim that is not power train related. Your radio not working isn't related to a power box.

As you research your new truck on the on-line forums, you will find that overwhelmingly, Fleetguard filters are the brand of choice. DON'T put a Fram on a Cummins. Buy your filters from a big rig shop or on-line. Lots of people recommend Geno's. I find just a cheap prices at the big rig shops.

Not all of us have injector problems.

Good luck with your new truck.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:46 PM

thanks motorhead for the info, I appreciate it.
offroad725, I will get some pictures up in a couple of weeks. I don't pick the trailer up until the 15th and we have a big race in Neeses SC that weekend, I will try and get some pictures posted after that.
thanks again
Old 09-03-2005, 06:12 PM

True, I should of said that either of those boxes would most likely void any warrenty on your power train if anything came up. But even that is up to the dealer so if you make real friendly with a dealer maybe you could get away with it.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:48 AM

Look at the QUAD towing box.65 h.p.Easy on and off in a few minutes.Advertised as a SAFE fueling box.Little better fuel mileage also.Lot less money then SOME of theothers.Just a thought.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:53 AM

Just because you read a couple posts about bad injectors it doesn't mean it's a big problem. Lots of us have had no problems with ours. Putting a box on your truck is nice but yours will pull that trailer without any problems. The newer trucks tend to have a little higher exhaust gas temps (EGTs) so it would be wise to install a pyrometer to monitor them if you choose to run a box. Running a fueling box may shorten the life of your trans too so keep that in mind.. Just because so many of us have done it, doesn't mean that it's a wise choice!!!
Old 09-04-2005, 08:59 PM

thanks guys,
i appreciate the info. , are there any other things like the filters mentioned above that i need to be aware of?
Old 09-04-2005, 10:32 PM

what i would do is get an intake, maybe gut the cat, open up the airflow at least. after that an Edge Juice with the Attitude monitor would be sufficient. it is adjustable on the fly and has gauges built in and everything. 5 power levels are nice to have. To keep it in tip-top shape be a little aggressive of a driver. Injector problems come from people who let the trucks idle too much. Mine idles probably 30 minutes for every 5 hours i drive, but the BD encourages me to run the truck hard. if you let it idle too much and dont run it hard, the injectors will start hating you

always let the truck cool down as well. after pulling a big 48' race trailer i would let it idle for a couple minutes. if you run down the highway then turn into a station to fill up and turn it off right away, the oil in the turbo is so hot it will begin caking onto the turbo and long term damage could arise. always let it cool down
Old 09-05-2005, 08:38 AM

Easy enough to answer your questions... And add some opinions.

Use good fuel and keep your filters clean. Additives won't hurt, but they're something that functions between your ears and not in your engine in my experience.

Injectors... Mostly not a problem.

Performance chips... Not necessary. (I have an Edge EZ which has never been set above level 1. My overall economy increased slightly with no difference in power that I could see.) I-6 engines are built to work, not race.

Economy... Remember that peak torque lies below 2000 rpm's. Keep her between 1500 and 2000 rpm's and you'll sip fuel. Twist on her and she'll get more thirsty.

Block Heater... Use it. It makes life easier for you and the truck at temps under about 20 degrees.

Cat... I believe you said a 2005. Keep it. Illegal to remove it and for what purpose?

Exhaust system... 4" is great. Plenty for your engine.