3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need New Control arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need New Control arms

Looking at replacing my control arms, stock bushings are toast on the passenger side. In a perfect world I would like to go with CARLI or THUREN Hiem joint ends. But... not sure on the cost and the over all need for that much suspension... Any one have experience with DT control arms with polyurethane bushings or something comparable? I am okay with spending the money on Carli or thuren but I dont want the suspension to ride any harsher. I was thinking the poly bushings might soak up more road vibrations and cycle smoother but I don't want to give up longevity for ride. I want them to last. I have also heard the poly's tend to squeek and that would drive me NUTS! any input much appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up Lorenz control arms.

Another option is Lorenz's new adjustable control arms. They are super stout with military spec ends. My local shop has installed four sets with zero issues reported from the owners. Their alignment guy loves them as he's able to truly "square off" the steering. www.lorenzindustries.com.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have been running dt profab for a few years. zero issues. reasonably priced.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanks Danderson, I had forgotten about Lorenz. those are some nice looking control arms. I think I am leaning toward Hiem joint style, it seems they are very durable as long as they stay greased regularly.

RJM022; do your DT Profab arms have poly bushings or hiems and are they greasable?

Thanks guys for the feedback! Most appreciated.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crackcorn
Thanks Danderson, I had forgotten about Lorenz. those are some nice looking control arms. I think I am leaning toward Hiem joint style, it seems they are very durable as long as they stay greased regularly.
Heim joint, rod ends, and spherical bearings will not last as long as a poly bushing. They are almost a metal to metal joint, and you know that's going to wear out. Since there's no flex to take up the slack, they will start to rattle as they wear.

I have those kind of joints in a lot of places on my race car. They are great, and really help the suspension to do what it's supposed to do, without any binding. But, I have to replace them on a regular schedule.

This is a quote from the company web site. Why do you think they have a rebuild kit readily available?

Spherical ***** are captured by greased bushing and pressed into the housing, making them user friendly and easily rebuildable in the field. In fact we have a field repair kit and spare bushing readily available.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:45 PM

Thumbs up Control arms

CARLI WAS MY CHOICE
Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 PM

How many miles do you have on your carli kit? From your sig it sounds like you have a very nice suspension system.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by .boB
Heim joint, rod ends, and spherical bearings will not last as long as a poly bushing. They are almost a metal to metal joint, and you know that's going to wear out. Since there's no flex to take up the slack, they will start to rattle as they wear.

I have those kind of joints in a lot of places on my race car. They are great, and really help the suspension to do what it's supposed to do, without any binding. But, I have to replace them on a regular schedule.

This is a quote from the company web site. Why do you think they have a rebuild kit readily available?

Spherical ***** are captured by greased bushing and pressed into the housing, making them user friendly and easily rebuildable in the field. In fact we have a field repair kit and spare bushing readily available.
"The Company's" yet to sell a rebuild kit. I'm sure Don and Sage stock rebuild kits as well as they stuff their ends onsite. Just to be fair.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 PM

Anyone here running any aftermarket leaf packs on the rear? If so was it worth the price/ did the ride quality change much?

As I may be returning back to a leveled stance again. I was thinking leafs and maybe new control arms would make a difference in ride quality.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:59 PM

Nate-o3 D,

I have had Deaver overload replacement packs for about 80,000 miles now. I can say this was the second most noticeable improvement I have done on my truck,(second to my smarty). They really help soak up expansion joints along with keeping my axle planted and preventing wheel hop. I did shocks at the same time but my traction seemed to really increase with the new overload packs. I don't tow heavy but I used to have about 900 lbs of gear in the back 100% of the time and it didn't cause me to lose any carrying capacity. They replace the solid steel spring underneath your leaf packs with 4 small leafs that help hold the load but flex with the bumps. They lifted the rear about an inch. Highly recommend them! Check out Carli, or Lorenz. All about the same price.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:42 PM

One thing to bear in mind is the fact that Carli and Thuren's product has an offset to prevent 35" tires w/ stock rims from rubbing.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.8lugtruckgear.com/Dodge-S...Arms-p548.html

I have these control arms, powdercoated black...but you can get them powdercoated in your choice of a bunch of different colors.

They are bad to the bone! Look awesome and there is no comparison to the stockers.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Texas CTD,
Those are great looking arms. However I think after the holiday expenditures are over I'm going to order some arms from thuren. Don has a new design out with even better hiem joints. From what I have read on some of the hardcore dodge offroad sites the only guys who have had to rebuild them are Baha racers and major weekend thrashers. Normal use appears to last well over a 100k. Even then a rebuild is far cheaper then ever having to buy arms agian. I'm sure the poly's will last just as long and are just as easy to rebuild. But I think I want something I know won't squeak and are light years better then stock. Thanks to all for the reply's.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 PM

Try the poly bushings from Top Gun they cost about $80 for the complete set unless you plan to lift or readjust suspension these will work better than stock.

http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/G...view=250118246
Old 12-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about Luke's Link life time

Quick Reply: Need New Control arms