3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need input on your boost readings...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need input on your boost readings...

OK, my boost gauge starting making some rattling noises, so I took it back to the dealer I got it from. In a wonderful show of customer service, they swapped it out for a new one! 8)

However, upon installation of the new one, my boost readings are different. I'm looking for feedback from those of you who have boost gauges, what are your readings under these driving conditions:

60-70 mph cruising no load: BEFORE = 8-14psi, NOW = 5-7psi
20-40 mph cruising in town: BEFORE = 2-12psi, NOW = 1-3psi
Hard acceleration (empty): BEFORE = 24psi, NOW = 23psi
Shifting around 18-1900: BEFORE = 10-18psi, NOW = 6-12psi

The numbers seem lower all the way across the board. When I took the truck back to them and we went for a test drive, they seemed satisfied with these readings, and thought my initial gauge was reading high from the numbers I told them about. Please let me know what you guys are seeing under similar conditions, I'm not getting a good feeling about the drastic difference... BTW, I don't drive with a heavy right foot, note the shifting around 18-1900. I don't have any new towing numbers yet either, but if you have those I'd appreciate them so can compare when I do strap on again. Thanks!!
Old 12-06-2003, 10:58 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Re:Need input on your boost readings...

I will let others advise about the actual numbers. Talking generally, bear in mind that no two gauges will read exactly the same unless they are of a high quality and have been calibrated. I would expect that the average automobile gauge to have an error of anywhere between 5 and 10%. Someone correct me if I am wrong. So if what I have just said is true and your old gauge erred on the high side and your new gauge erres on the low side, then I would expect to see quite a difference.
Just had a thought. Make sure that when the new gauge was installed that there are no kinks (restrictions) in the line.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Need input on your boost readings...

the gauges in both my trucks buzz every now and then, especially under sustained high boost. The readings you are getting now are real close to what I normally run. Doesn't mean my gauge is right though...