3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

nasty wheel hop in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, so what do you all think of these?

ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LONG-TRUCK-LADDER-BARS-Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Gasser-Drag_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107061QQihZ008QQit emZ180085246738QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

ps, dont you all make a run on them and buy them all up and tell me thay are great and leave me none
Old 02-15-2007, 01:54 AM

hey its all good, Ive had help finding stuff and i try to help other guys find stuff as well
Old 02-15-2007, 02:07 AM

I'm going to bite the bullet and try a set like the ones from jc whitney, If they can only help keep the hop to a minmum I'll be happy.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:29 AM

Well I also experienced the same wheel hop you guys are talking about. Kind of took me by surprise as I wheeled into my drive in second, straighten out and gave it some throttle and bam, bam.

May have to look into these traction bars, esp has me concerned if I have my gooseneck in tow...
Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about RoadMaster at http://www.activesuspension.com Anyone ever try these to eliminate wheel hop?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:06 AM

Another one for try 4low. More control and less chance of over torque-ing the drive line. The hop is from the torque and release that occurs in just the right traction conditions. The engine is also torquing back and forth in the mounts, frame driveline, everything, 4low reduces this. 4low is not about power but control.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 AM

4LO is also far more of a pain to get into on a daily basis in and out of a driveway etc. I would rather have a solution than a drive around personally. Funny, my companies 200 GM duramaxes do not have this behavior.

Bill
Old 02-16-2007, 09:26 AM

Blocks cause wheel hop/axle wrap. Many of the extreme rockcrawlers add 1/2 a spring leaf in the front part of the spring pack. This goes on top of the pack and seems to help. Here is a crappy drawing of what I mean. I did this on the first spring pack I had on my crawler and it got rid of all of the axle wrap. All of the packs I have bought have had this anti-wrap 1/2 leaf.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:11 PM

If you got the 2500/3500. By clamping the ride springs to the overloads (front & rear) will in effect act like stablizers for the springs, similiar to what j.c. Whitney sells. Some of the trailer shop sell the square clamps. The hop is reduced SOME, ride is of course a little stiffer. This with what I mentioned before will hopefully get you to your destination. I went a step futher and made quick twist nut for the clamps, so they can be removed quicker.

Its a pain, to have to do all this, one would expect a 4X4 is purchased for this very reason.

I've called many places and spoke to many offroaders. This is the outcome when people demand their p/u carry heavy weights plus give them a car like ride. Long springs are a way to accomplish this, the result is flexing of the springs, hop..

I see Ford is lengthing their springs to improve ride, wonder if they will have the same issues... I know currently Ford/GM have some wheel hop but NOT near as bad as mine, normally they seem to drive through it.

Larger tires will HELP, tend to soak up some of the twist on the springs, one reason why less tire pressure works. Still won't cure it, we tested a like truck as mine with 315s, better, but still had problems getting to where we wanted to go. Had to have a GM cut a trail for us "embarrassing"

My dealer called me, tryed to pull his son out of a ditch, said, " know now, why you (me) was complaining about wheel hop". Hooked up his wifes Pacifica (ms) and pulled it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 PM

WILL ladder bars effect ride quality? make it stiffer or what? Im going to get that set in the ebay link, and get the pivioting front mounts. will i notice a difference in the ride?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll guess that it's worse with an empty bed, turning on ice and snow, and some spinning on the rear wheels. If that's the case then I'll guess again that it's being caused by better traction on the front wheels as you have a lot more weight on the axles up front, where turning will make it worse for creating a binding situation. Putting weight in the bed to get more even traction front and rear will help, although you might still have to turn off 4wd when doing a lot of tight turning.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:26 PM

Got my traction bars put in and as of right now I can't get it to wheel hop. I tried loose gravel, sand and some agressive asphalt manuevers and I couldn't get it to hop.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by CG98x
Got my traction bars put in and as of right now I can't get it to wheel hop. I tried loose gravel, sand and some agressive asphalt manuevers and I couldn't get it to hop.
really? good!! how does the ride feal? is there much of a change? how does it launch off the line?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:55 PM

Happened again tonite....got off work, pulled onto approach, and took a look down my long driveway to the house. Nothing but one hard drift after another(dang wind). Well I dumped the clutch in third and went for broke! Made it...but I think I chattered every tooth in my mouth out.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:25 AM

Is this mostly a 6 speed problem, or do the auto's suffer just as badly?

Bill

Quick Reply: nasty wheel hop in snow