3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

my truck is honking and i am angry.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck is honking and i am angry.

I told you guys about my leaking powersteering box. Turns out while it was at the dealership they "did some updates". Now when i put my truck in reverse and the door is open, HONK , HONK, HONK, HONK. Are you kidding me. Not cool at all. I load trailers by myself alot, so i leave the door open. I called them and basically , got smart. The guy is cool , but he tells me there is nothing he can do, he had to put it on by law. Is there anyway to overide this crap. Its hell on Earth.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigfish5
I told you guys about my leaking powersteering box. Turns out while it was at the dealership they "did some updates". Now when i put my truck in reverse and the door is open, HONK , HONK, HONK, HONK. Are you kidding me. Not cool at all. I load trailers by myself alot, so i leave the door open. I called them and basically , got smart. The guy is cool , but he tells me there is nothing he can do, he had to put it on by law. Is there anyway to overide this crap. Its hell on Earth.
Buckle your seat belt and it will not honk. you could disconnect the seat belt connection under your seat and add a jumper wire to fool the sensors that the belt is buckled.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad my dealer said "We only do that recall if you really, really want it".

Based on DC's response when I called them about it and told them not to send me the recall notices anymore, I really doubt the "bound by law" thing.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:37 PM

yes it will. That only works on the '06's. I tried that on my '05.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:45 PM

heres a question for you guys. If you disable the seatbelt warning chime as per the instructions in the owners manual, will this also disable the horn honking when door is opened? I have a 2005 and have refused the recall twice and have no desire to get it, but I'm just curious. Matt
Old 10-17-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How come the 04's didn't get this recall? I went to dealer recently and they told me that I had no outstanding recalls. I also checked if mine would honk in gear. No honking at all.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my 04 got it. the seatbelt don't make it not work either, cut my seatbelt wires month after had it.

gonna cut the horn wires soon. can't take that ignorance.

got elderly neighbors, they can't take that honking in middle of night.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Auge
heres a question for you guys. If you disable the seatbelt warning chime as per the instructions in the owners manual, will this also disable the horn honking when door is opened?
Nope. I did that before I even left the lot. Still does it .
Old 10-17-2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by BigDave12768
How come the 04's didn't get this recall? I went to dealer recently and they told me that I had no outstanding recalls. I also checked if mine would honk in gear. No honking at all.
Is your truck an auto or manual? the recall is only for auto trannies. I refused it last time I was in, dealer said no problem.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine works like this...
Seatbelt off, door open, reverse = horn honks like crazy (just like you hit the panic on the remote entry)
Seatbelt on, door open, reverse = not a problem
My truck is an automatic. I almost fell out of the truck when it happened the first time! Scared the crap out of me!!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 AM

Big Dave,

I just got the recall in the mail for my '04.5 about a week ago. It's coming.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:56 PM

just happend to me yesterday, I almost fell out as well, Isnt this what they are trying to prevent? Any way i think it starts to honk when I let up on the brake so I could back up to a trailer, with the door open of coarse. What the heck, If I buckle my seat belt then I cant lean out to see any way, it kind of defetes the purpose of opening the door.. What kind of safty thing is this anyway, its there a big problum with guys falling out there door or what, and how is this Dodges problem? Did some one try to sue them because they were stupid enough to fall out there door or what....If thats the case let me start calling all the other manufactuars and tell them they need to recall every car and truck they ever made because some dumb **S might fall out .
Ok I feel better now, thanks for the vent.....
Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
d/c has sent me three letters stating i have yet to take my truck in for the recall. i refused to have my truck honk!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by JMalone
Mine works like this...
Seatbelt off, door open, reverse = horn honks like crazy (just like you hit the panic on the remote entry)
Seatbelt on, door open, reverse = not a problem
My truck is an automatic. I almost fell out of the truck when it happened the first time! Scared the crap out of me!!!!

I almost had a "Heart Attack" the first time I backed up it's like that spot on "60 Minutes" Give me a Break",I still love my truck thow
Old 10-18-2006, 12:45 AM

When I was having some work done, I said to the writer that I got a recall notice. He said to me, “yeah but you do not want us to fix it” and then went on and explained to me what it was. I said, “Nope do not want that”.

Quick Reply: my truck is honking and i am angry.