3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

My Tranny smells burnt any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Tranny smells burnt any suggestions

I have been having Tranny problems these past two months. It started shifting weak and would red line while shifting. I took it in and they replaced the governor solenoid valve. After that I went hunting and pulled the 5'er smelled like a hot tranny put it was a good climb up so I figured it was hot, I checked the oil and saw white bubbles. As soon as I got home I had the Tranny flushed 15 qts and $200 and the smell and white bubble are still there, they didn't adjust the bands because they say it is not a requirment on the 48RE, is this true?. I have taken it in twice since and they claim nothing is wrong, even after they admit it smells! Tomorrow I am taking it to dealer in El Paso I only have 5k miles left in warranty. Any suggestions?

'06 Ram 3500
5.9 Cummins Quad cab LWB
285 70 r17's
Revtek Leveling kit
Old 12-18-2007, 01:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't really go by the smell of the fluid. They all smell kinda burnt even new. If I have my foot up in it my truck always shifts at redline. So does everybody elses stock tranny. Just a thought.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 AM

Can you smell oil just walking by the truck? I can smell it while driving, with the windows up like it is coming through your vents and as soon as i get off the truck. Even the security guards notice it as I pull up to work.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 AM

Yes, that is normal also. You will normaly smell the oily smell for about 1,000 miles after an oil change. It's actually coming from the valve cover vent tube on the drivers side of the engine. Also, normal to see a little oily residue on the breather tube also. It runs down the side of the block straight down. Rotella T didn't get the name Rosmella T for nothing. You can buy a vent filter kit from www.genosgarage.com if you just can't stand it.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't understand why they did not adjust the bands being you say it was slipping on you and the fluid smells burnt. BTW, the bands are made to be adjusted on the 48RE trans but most only do it when it starts to slip and yet some do it every 20-30,000 miles. I say get it in to the dealer an have them look it over.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Can't really go by the smell of the fluid. They all smell kinda burnt even new.
I disagree with this statement. Big difference, in my experience between burnt tranny fluid and new.
Discolored fluid, with a burnt smell is a sign of depleted additives and used up fluid. You can also wipe off the dip stick (when cool) and rub between thumb & fingers to 'feel' for grit and lack of oil type slipperiness. Comparing this hand to new fluid on the other is a reasonably effective 'poor mans' oil analysis.

Bubbles usually indicates foaming... a possible sign of high heat also. If no temp gauge, you can wipe some oil off the dip stick off with your fingers (don't touch the metal). If it's too hot to leave on your fingers, it roughly over 180*. That's hotter than should be for hwy cruising, empty.

I would drive it hard before getting to dealers and show them bubbles and smell. At least you will be on record with a potential problem before warrantee runs out.

RJ
Old 12-18-2007, 11:40 AM

Could get a sample and send to Blackstone labs and they could tell you how good or bad the current fluid is. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html I have 44k on my truck and have been meaning to do that myself.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
I disagree with this statement. Big difference, in my experience between burnt tranny fluid and new.
I will tell you the reason I didn't go there.
1.) The degree of burnt is one's own opinion. Without being there to see the fluid myself who know's if it is burnt.
2.) Opinions are just like used vehicle. Your imacculate vehicle and my imacculate vehicle probably aren't the same.
3.) Experience.......

So, why bring it up. The fluid may be just fine. Who knows????

I would do one thing and that is check the fluid level with the truck running and in Neutral......
Old 12-18-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
I will tell you the reason I didn't go there.
1.) The degree of burnt is one's own opinion.
2.) Opinions are just like used vehicle.
3.) Experience.......
I follow and understand what your saying.
But comparing smell, color and feel of used to new, IMO, eliminates much of the subjectivity.

Just another possible tool to add to one's arsenal!

RJ
Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Banned

ATF+4 is a different breed of cat than it's previous cousins. The color wears out and the smell changes with age on ATF+4 where as with ATF+3 and older fluids that was a sign of wore out fluid, not so with ATF+4.

Bubbles in the fluid is good indication the transmission was over filled. When a transmission is over filled the fluid becomes entrained with air bubbles. The air bubbles create a situation to where metal to metal contact can happen and thats what causes transmission damage or failures in such cases.

Do like someone suggested, take the truck out for a good pull with the camper then go back to the dealership and have them look at the fluid and the fluid level. Have what they find documented no matter if they change it again as the damage is already done from them over filling it when they last done your transmission service. This way you will have proof later after warranty is over that they introduce premature failure due to their neglect.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am taking it to the dealer tonight after work. i hope to get there in time to talk to someone, it is an hour drive to El Paso and that is a good enought drive to get it bubbly and smelly. I was concerned they overfilled it as well, however I check it almost every evening when I get home, in neutral, and find it in the hatch marks. I am near 1500 miles now since the last fluid change. I will ask them to adjust the bands, and have called dodge and have a claim on file, so it is documented. I will also put some fluid on my hand and see if I can tolerate it, I need to get a temp gauge on the tranny (as well as the other gauges). i bet i can get a thermocouple here at work and check the fluid temp. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:55 PM

I took it in last night and spoke to a technician prior to them closing. It was very foamy and smelled. I didn't touch it because I didn't want to look like the idiot who just burnt his fingers. No word on what they have done to it yet.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Banned

Any word yet?
Old 12-20-2007, 03:50 PM

No not yet. Been two days now. I just got off the phone with them. Turns out the front pump went out. I won't get it back untill the end of next week. What do you all think of that? Do i have bad luck or what? How do people with chips and engine mods get away with that and I burn a pump? I wanted a Flashpaq too!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

Glad to hear they are doing some thing for you.

Quick Reply: My Tranny smells burnt any suggestions