3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Muffler Delete - Geno's or RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:18 AM
HOV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who have done this: is the noise tolerable while towing for long distance?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOV
For those who have done this: is the noise tolerable while towing for long distance?
Yes, not bad at all. The turbo whistle is much more annoying on long trips.

The Mega Cabs have an additional resonator behind the muffler that seems to prevent it from droning real bad.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by HOV
Not sure... I love the sound around town shifting through the gears. On the highway it's not too bad but I haven't been more than 45 minutes and it wasn't towing. One thing is for sure, the RPM range matters as it gets a little loud (drone?) between 2250 and 2400 rpm's.

One positive thing is that if you're careful and you only trash the muffler ( or are super fortunate and can keep it intact -- I couldn't ) , you can buy a replacement muffler and reverse this if it's too loud. My installer did a nice job of peeling the muffler connections away from the connecting pipes, leaving the tailpipe and the pipe coming from the CAT intact and 100% original -- for 1/2 hour labor of $40 + tax.

Being a subjective issue -- my thought is to try it and if you don't like it, get a performance muffler made to fit as a compromise....
Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Banned

The factory exhaust for your rig is stainless.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Which is louder: Cat delete or Muffler Delete?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:24 AM

Mark, you heard mine before. I still have the cat in place and it sounds great. I just towed my trailer to Mississippi and back with no drone to speak of. I love the way it sounds. I got mine from RPM and it got here super quick. Two things though.
One, you need to use two 4" band clamps and you have to tighten them up super tight with an impact wrench. You will never be able to get them tight by hand and the tailpipe will keep moving on you. I just kept going from side to side on each clamp until the impact couldn't tighten them up anymore.
Two, the pipe could stand to be about 2"-3" longer but it does work. You need to cut your muffler off without cutting any of the intermediate pipe or tailpipe off. If you do, you will have problems. This gets a bit tricky when you are using a Sawzall.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
One, you need to use two 4" band clamps and you have to tighten them up super tight with an impact wrench. You will never be able to get them tight by hand and the tailpipe will keep moving on you.
I used the RPM Delete Pipe, got it fast no problems. I also used band clamps, but ditched the supplied bolts. It kept loosening on me, so I used bolts with lock washers and it has not moved since.

If you get the RPM or another pipe without hangers, I would suggest fabbing some up. I used the stock clamps and welded on steel rod. Cost less than $5.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 AM

Mark, you heard mine before. I still have the cat in place and it sounds great. I just towed my trailer to Mississippi and back with no drone to speak of. I love the way it sounds. I got mine from RPM and it got here super quick. Two things though.
One, you need to use two 4" band clamps and you have to tighten them up super tight with an impact wrench. You will never be able to get them tight by hand and the tailpipe will keep moving on you. I just kept going from side to side on each clamp until the impact couldn't tighten them up anymore.
Two, the pipe could stand to be about 2"-3" longer but it does work. You need to cut your muffler off without cutting any of the intermediate pipe or tailpipe off. If you do, you will have problems. This gets a bit tricky when you are using a Sawzall.
I'm doing it - it was HOV asking the noise question! Thanks for the advice on the band clamps & impact!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 AM
HOV

Mark, you heard mine before..
Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
I'm doing it - it was HOV asking the noise question!
DZ: Maybe I can stop by and hear for myself? We live like 3 minutes apart!