3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5w40 - arrives this month ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RustyJC
The API starburst signifies a GF-4 oil and is a gasoline engine specificiation - see HERE.

From the API website page cited above:

Diesel engine oils still use the API "donut" with the CI-4 Plus oils displaying their CI-4 Plus designation in the lower portion of the API Service Symbol "donut".

To clear up another discussion point, the following is from THIS Mobil web page:

You say that "just because it contains PAOs doesn't mean that it is necessarily a Group IV oil". Is it, therefore, your contention that Delvac 1 is a synthetic blend or ?????

Rusty
Rusty, the api starburst simply denotes a certified oil, not specificaly only GF-4 gasoline oils. There are starburts that say for DIESEL in the middle just as your gasoline does for gas. Here's the api's definition of the starburst symbol.

"1. Starburst: An oil displaying this mark meets the current engine protection
standard and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), a joint effort of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers. Most automobile manufacturers recommend oils that carry the API Certification Mark.
2. Performance Level: Gasoline engine oil categories (for cars, vans, and light trucks with gasoline engines):Oils designed for gasoline-engine service fall under API’s “S” (Service) categories.See reverse for descriptions of current and obsolete API service categories.Diesel engine oil categories (for heavy-duty trucks and vehicles with diesel engines):Oils designed for diesel-engine service fall under API’s “C” (Commercial) categories."

Either way, the point is that amsoil is not API licensed whatsoever, starburst or donut, except for their xl7500 oil.

As for delvac 1, no that is not what I'm suggesting, it's definitely a group 4 based oil. However, as I said, which is what I meant...just because an oil has PAO's in it does not necessarily mean it's a group 4 base. There are several synthetic blends.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightman
Rusty, the api starburst simply denotes a certified oil, not specificaly only GF-4 gasoline oils.
From the API website:
By May 1, 2005, oils meeting ILSAC GF-4 will be the only oils eligible to display the API Starburst.
The API Starburst was introduced to identify "energy saving" engine oils.

Either way, the point is that amsoil is not API licensed whatsoever, starburst or donut, except for their xl7500 oil.
Agreed

As for delvac 1, no that is not what I'm suggesting, it's definitely a group 4 based oil. However, as I said, which is what I meant...just because an oil has PAO's in it does not necessarily mean it's a group 4 base. There are several synthetic blends.
Hmmmm....I've seen Delvac 1 called a lot of things by its detractors, but I've never before seen it tossed into the "synthetic blend" heap.

By the way, I ain't got no dog in this fight - I use Delo 400 15W-40!

Rusty
Old 07-06-2006, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you, in the Phoenix, AZ. area, that may be interested, I found Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5X40 at the distributor, which is, Phoenix Fuels.

They have it in cases of 6 quarts for $38.60. That works out to $6.43/qt. & $25.72/gal. At this time, it's sold in quarts, only.

As a comparison, the Mobil Delvac 1 5X40 is sold in cases of 4 gallons for $111.95. That works out to $27.99/gal.

Joe F.(Buffalo)