3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5w40 - arrives this month ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To fix your problem, drai the Mobil crap and put in Royal Purple or go with the real stuff and put in AMSOIL(a real synthetic) Put your self a by-pass system on and then you can do like I do and don't change the oil at all.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperGewl
To fix your problem, drai the Mobil crap...
Mobil 1 as well as Delvac 1 is a blend of Group IV (PAO) and Group V constituents (alkylated naphthalene and ester in the Tri-Synthetic formulations; ester in the Super-Syn formulations). It does not use Group III base stock.

Rusty
Old 07-03-2006, 02:26 AM

To fix your problem, drai the Mobil crap and put in Royal Purple or go with the real stuff and put in AMSOIL(a real synthetic) Put your self a by-pass system on and then you can do like I do and don't change the oil at all.
Why don't you change your oil?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:25 AM

I don't believe Amsoil is API approved.

Pete
Old 07-03-2006, 07:57 AM

Hey Super, what did you do for a by-pass system?? And as far as AMSOIL goes you do have to change it at some time don't you?? I am new to Diesel and am trying to learn as much as I can and use the best stuff in my truck...I love my machine and want to keep it running well for a looonnng time.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peterbilt
I don't believe Amsoil is API approved.

Pete
Peterbilt,

I think you need get out and read a bit more. I don't know why you said Amsoil was not API approved So here is some nice reading for you and I quote:

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is recommended for diesel engines and other applications requiring any of the listed worldwide specifications and gasoline engines requiring API SL, SJ, SH . . . or ACEA A3.

• API CI-4+, CF, CF-2, SL • ACEA A3/B3, E2, E3, E5 • Global DHD-1 • JASO DH-1 • Mack EO-N Premium Plus ’03 • DDC Power Guard 93K214 • Caterpillar ECF-1 • Cummins CES 20071, 20072, 20076, 20077, 20078 • Volvo VDS-2, VDS-3 • MB 228.1, 228.3, 229.1 • MAN 3275 • MTU Type 1 • MIL-PRF-2104G

And their 15W-40 APPLICATIONS;

AMSOIL Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil is recommended for use in diesel engines and other applications requiring any of the listed worldwide specifications and gasoline engines requiring API SL, SJ, SH… or ACEA A3.

* API CI-4+, CF, CF-2, SL
* ACEA A3/B3, E2, E3, E5
* Global DHD-1
* JASO DH-1
* Mack EO-N Premium Plus '03
* DDC Power Guard 93K214
* Caterpillar ECF-1
* Cummins CES 20071, 20072, 20076, 20077, 20078
* Volvo VDS-2, VDS-3
* MB 228.1, 228.3, 229.1
* MAN 271/3275
* MTU Type 2
* MIL-PRF-2104G
* Allison C-4
Old 07-03-2006, 05:40 PM

Read it carefully...
They say it CAN be used where the API classifaication is required - it does not say it IS API certified. Typical slick AMSOIL marketing. Look for the API donut on the bottle.. Read below
Amsoil only has one API certified oil - XL-7500 and it's not even a group IV synthetic!
Read below for more info:
Ahttp://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Problems%20with%20Coffee

API Certification, Phosphorus & ZDDP
Never use a non-API certified synthetic oil (there are many of these on the market). The problem with the non-API certified synthetics is that they contain too much phosphorus (in the form of the additive ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphates)). The API has limited the amount of phosphorus because phosphorus shortens the life of the catalytic converter. These oils are fine for snowmobiles, motorcycles, and older cars that don't have a catalytic converter, and the extra ZDDP does provide additional wear protection. Unfortunately, the marketers of some the non-certified oils do not explicitly and honestly state the reason for the lack of API certification. You can check the status of API certification on the API web site. Be certain to go not just by the manufacturer name but by the actual product as well. This is because a manufacturer will sometimes have both certified and non-certified products. Suffice it to say that Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Castrol, & Havoline all make synthetic oils that are API certified and that can be purchased at auto parts stores and other retail outlets. Amsoil has one product line, XL-7500 that is API certified, but it's other lines contain too much ZDDP to be certified and should not be used in vehicles with catalytic converters.
Amsoil
Amsoil actually makes some very good products. The negative image of Amsoil is due to their distribution method (MLM) and their marketing approach. If Amsoil products were competitively priced with Mobil 1 and other synthetics, and if I could buy them in a store, I would not hesitate to use their XL-7500 synthetic as opposed to Mobil 1. What upsets me about Amsoil is that they didn't disclose until recently (and then it was by accident) the real reason that their oils (except for XL-7500) are not API certified. In the past they came up with all sorts of bizarre excuses about the reason for their lack of API certification and this greatly contributed to the distrust that people have of the company.

From the AMSOIL website http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/article_xl7500.aspx
AMSOIL Changes XL-7500 Formula To Enhance Oils, Stay Competitive

Q: AMSOIL will be using a different formula for its XL-7500 Motor Oils. Why did AMSOIL change the formula?

A: Our XL-7500 oils are the oils of choice in the retail oil change market, and primarily because of warranty concerns the customers in this market require API-certified oils. In order to obtain API SL/ILSAC GF-3 certification and still remain cost-competitive with the other oils sold at retail oil change outlets, we had to change to Group III basestocks. To obtain API certification with our top tier basestocks would have priced our Dealers out of the market.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:49 PM

correct- it costs big bucks to get your oil api certified!! amsoil obviously feels it is not neccessary-they have a great reputation!. amsoil has been around since the early 70's. i haven't heard of anybody blowing up their engine using amsoil. i am sure if people were having engine problems using amsoil- the liberal media (dateline,usa today,etc) would be all over it. i have been using amsoil for years- great oil! why drive to wallyworld and buy three jugs of mobil 1-when i can have three gallons of amsoil delivered to my front door - cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 06:53 AM

They must feel it is neccessary since they got API certified for one line of thier oil. Cheaper for you - the shipping cost makes it alot more for me. I've used both and see no gain in using amsoil over mobil or any other API group iv certified synthetic oil. If it were certified I think it would out sell all the other synthetics. So in the long run getting the certification would allow them to make more money.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
Rather than circulate more rumors, let's look at the Mobil 1 website:

PAOs = Group IV

Rusty
First of all, it doesn't say they use ONLY PAO's...just because it contains PAO's doesn't necessarily mean it's a group 4 oil. Secondly, Mobil 1 T&SUV/Delvac 1 are not Supersyn oils, so your argument against Buffalo's comments is pretty much moot.

For the record, I don't believe Delvac 1 is API certified, it's API licensed. While this is still a step above Amsoil on the API ladder of approval, licensing with API is cheaper and less stringent than certification. There are two diffferent API symbols, the starburst which indicates the oil is certified - which has a higher level of standardization to meet, and a little circle, aka the service donut which indicates licensing. D1 has just the service donut as far as I know.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:36 AM

Well I went to Murray's yesterday, and Mobil 1 Truck 5w40 was available in quart size on the shelf, and plenty of it. It had the API service donut denoting CI-4 Plus, although no starburst. Just a fyi that it's available in some areas.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:11 AM

The API starburst signifies a GF-4 oil and is a gasoline engine specificiation - see HERE.

From the API website page cited above:
How will you know if your oil meets the new performance standard?

It's easy. Just make sure the oil you buy for your gasoline-powered vehicle is labeled with the Starburst Certification Mark.
Diesel engine oils still use the API "donut" with the CI-4 Plus oils displaying their CI-4 Plus designation in the lower portion of the API Service Symbol "donut".

To clear up another discussion point, the following is from THIS Mobil web page:
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 are the same formulation and meet the exact same performance requirements.
You say that "just because it contains PAOs doesn't mean that it is necessarily a Group IV oil". Is it, therefore, your contention that Delvac 1 is a synthetic blend or ?????

Rusty
Old 07-05-2006, 01:30 PM

DBLR

Maybe you should do some more reading.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been using Shell Rotella 15W-40 since the first change... is there really any advantage to running a pure synthetic oil? It seems to me, to be a preference as which oil to use.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:12 PM

2-Stroke,

I am, by no means, an expert in these matters. However, it appears to me, that one of the big advantages to using a Synthetic Oil would be the the ability to take advantage of extended oil drain intervals.

If you did a LOT of driving, such as in commercial hauling, the ability to extend your driving range, before changing oil, would be an advantage & a convenience.

To take advantage of extended oil drain intervals, you would probably want to consider the use of an oil bypass filtration system. Some folks are driving an extraordinary number of miles between oil changes. I believe that these folks are getting the "biggest bang for their buck" by using a synthetic oil.

Apparently, there is less carbon build-up on the cylinder walls when using a synthetic, also.

I remember reading in the TDR Magazine, years ago, of a commercial trailer (RV) hauler that had 1,153,000 miles on his engine & it had not been rebuilt. He used Shell Rotella 15X40, Fleetguard filters & changed the oil at 5000 mile intervals. Back then, the oils weren't as good as they are today.

If you don't mind changing the oil regularly, then conventional oil is probably just fine. Most of us will never keep our trucks long enough to take advantage of the long life the Cummins engine provides.

On the other hand, the "feel good factor" that comes from using the "best" for your truck, has some value, also.

Joe F.(Buffalo)

Quick Reply: Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5w40 - arrives this month ???