3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5w40 - arrives this month ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5w40 - arrives this month ???

Just got off the phone with the Mobil1 customer support desk - they said that (at least here in MO and the Midwest) that the TD 5w40 is supposed to be in Autozone stores this month, and then they'll start shipping it to Walmarts and other retailers.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:35 PM

Test Blow by 1

anyone been testing mobil 1 for diesels?
Old 06-19-2006, 05:17 PM

Wonder if it is rebadged Delvac synthetic? At least having at Autozone and Wally world will make it easier to find.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...uck_5W-40.aspx
Old 06-19-2006, 06:43 PM

delvac 1 is very good oil... could very well be rebadged for M1 diesel5w40. i believe that catapillar DEO 5w40 is delvac1 relabled for cat to sell [with the approperate cat $$$ added to it]
Old 06-19-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gave up on Mobil 1 because I had it in my truck from the first oil change and then they stopped making it! Yes, it is rebadged Devlac.

It has to be the worst managerial decision that I have ever seen for Mobil 1 to change their product marketing so drastically. Certainly the death nell for this very unhappy former customer!! ((Yes, in true Runamuk fashion I have already e-mailed them with my comments............No reply?)

I'm now using Valvoline Premium Blue synthetic 5w-40 and will continue to do so in the future. It is much cheaper, readily available at any NAPA, and recommended by Cummins. I religeously change my oil at 5k mile intervals and use only Fleetguard filters.

Rick
Old 06-20-2006, 02:06 AM
J.T

Iv'e been testing Mobil 1 15W-50. Seems to be working good.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by J.T
I don't believe 15W-50 is a diesel-rated oil. Check the bottle - what's the API service rating? CI-4 or CI-4+?

Rusty
Old 06-20-2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by J.T
UGH - I'd suggest draining that out ASAP. The Mobil1 Extended Performance 15W50 (per their website):

------------------------------------------
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 meets the following industry approvals:

ACEA A3, B3/B4

API SM

It also meets the requirements for diesel powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

Read it at this site: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...ce_15W-50.aspx
----------------------------------------------

THAT OIL IS NOT CI RATED, and I don't think it should be used in your truck. Anyone else chime in if I'm off base here....

THIS is the Mobil1 that should be used, whenever it actually gets to the shelves: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...uck_5W-40.aspx

I'm really leaning toward using the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Synthetic 5w40. Like someone else mentioned, it's readily available at Napa, and I'll bet it's cheaper than the Mobil1.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:13 PM

Runamuk,

The story (rumor) I heard was that the "former" Mobil 1 Truck & SUV (5-40, CI-4) was a rebadged Mobil Delvac 1. However, the Delvac carried a CI-4+ rating & a higher price tag.

Virgin Oil Analysis at BITOG (bob is the oil guy.com) showed that the difference in the two oils was so slight that it could be attributed to "batch differences" between two, or more different batches. Also, some folks have actually talked with Mobil employees that confirmed that the two were the same.

I've heard that the Delvac 1 & "former" T/SUV were manufactured using group IV base stocks which, I believe, are fully man-made synthetics. I've, also, heard that the "new" Turbo Diesel 5-40 will be using group III base stocks that are made from conventional oil that is converted into synthetic base stocks.

My guess is that by using group III base stocks, they will be able to lower their manufacturing costs over what it would cost to use group IV base stocks.

From what I hear, properly made group III base stocks, along with robust additive packages can create quality motor oils.

Once again, this is the RUMOR that I heard & I am, by no means, an expert in these matters.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 06-21-2006, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not an expert on the subject either but when I complained to the Mobil.com phone number for the Northwest division sales, I was referred to the Devlac line as being "identical" product.

The price for 4 gallons came to a whopping 130.00+shipping!

I decided to just say and switch to Valvoline Premium Blue full synthetic!!

If you market a product as being, the best, then you had better be able to produce a product that is the best, and supply all of your distributors all of the time. Bilstein lost me as a lifetime customer for the same reasons.

Rick
Old 06-21-2006, 02:26 AM
J.T

Originally Posted by truckjunkie
UGH - I'd suggest draining that out ASAP. The Mobil1 Extended Performance 15W50 (per their website):

------------------------------------------
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 meets the following industry approvals:

ACEA A3, B3/B4

API SM

It also meets the requirements for diesel powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

Read it at this site: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...ce_15W-50.aspx
----------------------------------------------

THAT OIL IS NOT CI RATED, and I don't think it should be used in your truck. Anyone else chime in if I'm off base here....

THIS is the Mobil1 that should be used, whenever it actually gets to the shelves: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...uck_5W-40.aspx

I'm really leaning toward using the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Synthetic 5w40. Like someone else mentioned, it's readily available at Napa, and I'll bet it's cheaper than the Mobil1.

Thanks for the heads up. I really only tried it because my dad uses it in his 2001 CTD. He said he's been using it for around 100,000 miles and has had no problems.What is the possible outcome of using this? The API rating on this is SL/CF.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Buffalo
I've heard that the Delvac 1 & "former" T/SUV were manufactured using group IV base stocks which, I believe, are fully man-made synthetics. I've, also, heard that the "new" Turbo Diesel 5-40 will be using group III base stocks that are made from conventional oil that is converted into synthetic base stocks.
Rather than circulate more rumors, let's look at the Mobil 1 website:
Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.
PAOs = Group IV

Rusty
Old 06-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RustyJC
Rather than circulate more rumors, let's look at the Mobil 1 website:

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives.

PAOs = Group IV

Rusty
I like their marketing tactics, This is the way I read it:
fluids, including polyalphaolefins, along with a propretary system of additives.
When I read it that way it sounds like they are using whatever fluids along with polyalphaolefins and additives.

I could be wrong, I could be right, I will not use it because of that statement, there are just as good and cheaper group III oils available.

If mobil would just flat out say it is a group IV oil then I would use it but because they choose not to leads me to beleave they are blending.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:50 AM

Most additive packages are soluble only in mineral oil. Therefore, synthetic oils will typically have a bit of mineral oil as a carrier for the additive packages. This keeps them from saying that it is 100% PAO. Try a little research on the other Group IV synthetics.....

Rusty
Old 06-28-2006, 12:22 AM

Just one thing to add- just cuz it sez synthetic doesn't mean it is a group IV oil- thanks to castrol 'synthetic' is purely a marketing term now

Anybody think a gallon of the 5w-40 and two gallons of delo would make a good blend?

Quick Reply: Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5w40 - arrives this month ???