3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

MIL Light Help No Engine Codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014 | 12:20 PM

MIL Light Help No Engine Codes

On my 2003 Dodge Manual Cummins, I cant pass the California Smog Test due to a MIL Problem.

No MIL Light On, NO Error Codes, Code reader states MIL ON??????

I have a OTC Genisys Scanner:
Ran Scans of everything, ABS, FCM, PCM, Air Bag....no errors
However when I run the System Test (Not sure if that is the correct name) the scanner showes me general info, coolant temp, oil pressure, MIL code count (which is 0), etc but one of the line displays is MIL ON (can be on or off). I am assuming this is what the smog place computer connected to the DMV is seeing.

Attached Photos

Scanner Shows Status as I noted before
Mil ON
DCT 0

Could not solve the issues so I had dealer re-flash and update ECM/computer. Did not solve the issue.

I disconnected the TST box and removed my britebox which I was having issues with. (side note dont buy britebox......had way too many problems with the unit.)

I have tried disconnecting batteries, cleaning PCM fuesbox connector and using dielectric grease, as welll as cleaning engine computer doing the same.

Cleaned all the grounds to frame etc.

At a total loss

Appreciat the input any suggestion could help.
Attached Thumbnails MIL Light Help No Engine Codes-scanner.png  
Old 04-14-2014 | 03:11 PM
Cummins Guru

Well you had it flashed already did not see that...that's the only problems that I have encountered. May need to get Star involved (Chrysler Tech Support) If no codes are stored and cel light is showing up on their scan. Need to make sure dealership transferred the vin number into the Cummins ECM. If that isn't done it may set a code that may not show up on a scan.

Select 1. “Cummins (ECM/Engine)”
26. On the Select Function screen, proceed to page 2 of 2 and Select 1. “Miscellaneous”.
27. On the Select Miscellaneous screen, Select 3. “CM845 Check VIN”
28. Enter in VIN as requested by DRB III.
Old 04-14-2014 | 05:13 PM

If my scan tool the OTC Genisys shows the correct vin, do you think the DRB II....will be any different? I will go home tonight and check the VINs. I did note an error the day after the dealer reprogramed that stated there was a VIN missmach between the ECM and the ABS module. I had a similar error about 3 years ago and was able to clear it and pass the smog BS.

Appreciate the response BigIron70
Old 04-14-2014 | 07:23 PM

This issue has been reported before. CEL on but no codes found when using a scanner.

If I recall, the key procedure did display the code(s) on the dash cluster display.

The key procedure is to turn the ignition key off/on 3 times. Any codes should display in the odometer section of the dash cluster.
If no codes are present, the display will show "DONE".

Worth a try.