3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

this might be a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this might be a dumb question

just picked up my first diesel last week (2003, 2500) and this is all new to me. Can someone tell me what the fuel water separator is, where is it, do I have to clean it, and how often???? I have 800 miles on it is there anything else I should do?? Thank you. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:46 AM

Re:this might be a dumb question

Calvin - Not picking on you, but you should take an evening break from TV and thoroughly read that thick owner's manual you got with your truck. It will answer most of your questions, but regarding the fuel/water separator. All fuels absorb water - some more than others. In the case of gasoline, the droplets can pass through the carburetor or injector jets and nozzles and will be burned in the engine. A diesel is a horse of a different color. The passages in the Diesel injectors are much too small for water to pass through. consequently, all Diesels have a fuel/water serparator as part of the fuel system. Dodge puts an indicator light on the instrument panel to alert you to when the water in the separator is too high, and you then drain the separator. One way to cut down on the amount of water in the fuel is to keep your tank at least 1/2 full when drving around town, as a lot of the water comes from condensation which is more prevelent in partially filled tanks. When you're on the road you can run it down as low as you want as you'll be refueling every day or two. I had over 80,000 miles on my old '89 and never had a problem by using the above mentioned procedures. Lots of luck. You'll grow to love that CTD.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:10 AM

[quote author=Bluedresser link=board=17;threadid=9141;start=0#87855 date=1041612379]
.....The passages in the Diesel injectors are much too small for water to pass through. consequently, all Diesels have a fuel/water serparator as part of the fuel system. [/quote]

Hold on a second...you mean molecules of H[sub]2[/sub]O won't fit through the injectors? Maybe you need to read a little . The water separator is upstream from the injector pump and of course the injectors and removes any moisture from the fuel which can compromise the lubricity of the fuel necessary for injection pump operation. Water can cause errosion and surface pitting resulting in eventual failure. The separator is located on the filter cannister (of the 2002) and contains a little stop **** for draining the water from the reservoir.

-Tom-
Old 01-03-2003, 07:32 PM

Just my .02:<br><br>With my first diesel, I religiously checked for water and regularly drained the fuel/filter bowl to ensure all was well. The next diesel, I checked about half as often. By the time I was on my 4th diesel (the current truck is my 6th) - I had stopped checking. Not once did I find water - none, nada, ziltch.... well, you get the picture.<br><br>I guess we get good fuel here. My point is, take the safe approach and check for water every 1000 miles or so to start. If you don't find any - just do like I do now and change out the filter/water separator and empty the fuel bowl at the maximum recommended intervals. If you do find water, respond appropriately. I would not wait for the light to come on - that's counting on a sensor and a bulb to work that may not do so.<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill
Old 01-03-2003, 11:37 PM

Basically this is to Comotose. You state that the water separator is &quot;upstream&quot; o fhte injector pump, etc. That's correct - upstream means that the fuel goes through it BEFORE it can do any damage. I've sailed many thousands of miles (at 5 miles per hour) in a motor sailor that sailed and powered throughout the South Pacific. We carried 1,000 gallons of Diesel fuel and changed the fuel filters and the fuel/water seperators religiously. After all, there are no NAPA stores or service stations 1,000 miles away from land. Proper fueling of the fuel tanks, and cleaning, changing, draining of fuel/water seperators can avoid mainy problems. The yacht I am speaking of was only the latest in the last of Diesel powered vessles that I drove across the South Pacific in over 30 years of Blue Water cruising. On land I have driven 18-wheelers as well as Dodge CTD's. I have never had a fuel problem and I attribute that to proper maintenance. Then again, I may be wrong.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:39 AM

FYI. There is a technical service bulletin (14-005-02) out for faulty fuel filter/water separators.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:42 AM

Oh, it's for either new diesel engine built before Oct. 11, 2002. Valve opens...nothing happens ???. Kinda like stage fright I guess .
Old 01-04-2003, 10:41 AM

Water will go through injectors. I once ran an EMD for a couple thousand hours while we were trying to find a coolant leak in the airbox. Turned out it was one of the aftercoolers. With the fuel you get in the states your main concern is getting a slug of water. By this I mean enough to fill the seperater and then some all in one shot. Buy fuel at well trafficed stations and you will probably not have a problem with that. If you do the engine will normally go off line (die) before any real damage is done but you will have to bleed the injectors. Water is bad for the pump but your not likely to get enough water through too cause a pump failure over the life of the truck. To help put things in perspective I just had an inspect and repair as needed on a injection pump for a 3406 that had 146,000 hours on it and it was still looking good. Lots of water went through there, some of it seawater. I would drain it every 25, 30 hours to avoid any buildup, keep the tank full if the truck does a lot of sitting and buy at busy stations. Enjoy that truck, dont let the diesel spook you.