3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Michigan drivers tire question.. and other states if you want lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Michigan drivers tire question.. and other states if you want lol

i had my tires picked out and was ready to buy then i read bad reviews went back did my research found others..good reviews but then i started to read bad ones and they over power the good lol

ill take other states advice too but im pushing for more Michigan drivers due to the fact they know how it is year round and what to expect.

whats a good all terrain all season all what ever tires?
ive had in mind so far:

Nitto Trail Grapplers
Nitto Terra Grapplers
Goodyear Dura Tracs
Hankook Rt10

i drive a good amount to work everyday 60+ sometimes 7 days aweek.

i just moved back to Michigan from North Carolina and well...not much snow lol soo im preparing myself for the snow again. im guessing i have about a month and a half to get them. and thats about all i have left on my current tires too.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 AM

I had Terra Grapplers on my truck and there were great in snow and ice here in MN, I can imagine MI much worse.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to use stock tires, then I would look at these. Michelin, LTX® M/S2 SUV/Crossover, Light Truck, LT265/70R17/E 121R rated tires. These tires are rated for 70K life and are an all-seasons tires.

I installed them this spring on my 08 but have not driven them in the snow and ice as of yet. BTW, I live near Chicago IL., and our winters are no different than Detroit MI.
Jim W
Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I grew up in NW Indiana, and was used to plows, cinders, and salt. I know how bad the snow in Michigan gets because they can get a lot of lake effect snow (New Buffalo, St. Joe, Niles, Kalamazoo, Bay City, etc.). The drifts, the 3 feet overnight snow dump, folks having snowmobiles for uses other than pleasure. Somewhere I think I still have the tee-shirt wrapped around the coffee mug.

Idaho doesn't use cinders or salt, it's sand and de-icing fluid. They only plow when they need to, and mostly this is in intersections or the approach to rail crossings.

We've been running BFG TA-KO's since '07 and are now looking to get replacements for them. My wife loves them, we've not had any issues with traction, wear, DW, in both on-road and off-road conditions. I've had in snow and mud deep enough to cover the front hubs with no problems.

-Kris
Old 09-22-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with Jim, I use Michelin LTX M/S. I'm on my third set, second truck. Great all around tire. I'v driven in some pretty significant Rocky Mountain and New England snow storms with these tires; they just dig in and go.

Quiet and smooth in the dry weather, too. Best all around tire I'v ever used.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 PM

I am very impressed with the Michelin A/T 2 tires. I haven't done a lot of winter driving in northern AZ, but they are better riding and more competent than the BFG A/T's I've run in the past.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 AM

Welcome back to Michigan ! Toyo's a/t great tires but they don't last too long 35 to 40k. Michelin's are an exceptional tire. BFG's are the most common A/T out there and they over rated for the price. Terra grappler's are similar to the Toyo's both great up here in snow. My vote is for the Michelins for the best all around tires.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:21 AM

I have 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT'. Great tire so far !!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:40 AM

i really appreciate all the answers!! ive look and checked out the tires you all have posted up here. im still not sure but ill do some price checking around here and see what i can come up with.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 AM

Im having my 2nd set of Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts installed today, alittle over 60k on them an never had any issues. They still have about 5/32nds of tread left on them, if we werent going into winter I would still run them. I am stepping up to a 315 fromt a 285.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 AM

ahh yes i was told about the Dueler A/Ts. ill have to check in on them. i have the stock wheels and tires on now but i also have 20 wheels that i would like to put on. i looked at 325/60r20 and there about 35.4' so i would have to level it not a big deal. if i dont go with them i might sell the wheels and buy new 17' or 18's and mount them on a 315/70
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

The Nitto or Toyo in an MT tire. About the best all around tread and tire you can get for commuting. Not good for towing but thats another story.

The Toyos and Nittos are the only ones I have found in a larger tire that meet weight, sidewall stength ratings for these trucks and wear very well. All the others are too light or wear too fast. The AT tires are pretty much useless in snow and ice and frequently too soft for the weight of the truck.

Both the Nitto and Toyo MT's are about as quiet a mud tire you can find and so far have held up and performed better than anything else under multiple use and weather conditions.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 AM

Bridgestone very good
Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 AM

okay did a lot of reviewing last week and came up with 3 most talked about tires.

Bf Goodrich TA KO
Michelin LTX
Toyo Open Country AT's

after i did that online i called a bunch of tire stores asking what then most popular tire was for trucks that they installed the BFG came out on top

now i know i here about the Death wobble and what. i talked to 3 tire places(belle tire, goodyear, local shop) and they had never had a complaint on them. i went with belle tire to buy and install them. 3 of the mechanics there had them on their trucks and nothing bad to say about them all good reviews. one had a 98 ram 2500 and was about to put his 3rd set of BFG ta ko on there.

had them on 4 3 days now...so far so good!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by SLSD400exGUY
okay did a lot of reviewing last week and came up with 3 most talked about tires.

Bf Goodrich TA KO
Michelin LTX
Toyo Open Country AT's

after i did that online i called a bunch of tire stores asking what then most popular tire was for trucks that they installed the BFG came out on top

now i know i here about the Death wobble and what. i talked to 3 tire places(belle tire, goodyear, local shop) and they had never had a complaint on them. i went with belle tire to buy and install them. 3 of the mechanics there had them on their trucks and nothing bad to say about them all good reviews. one had a 98 ram 2500 and was about to put his 3rd set of BFG ta ko on there.

had them on 4 3 days now...so far so good!
What tire size, ply, and wheel did you go with?

Quick Reply: Michigan drivers tire question.. and other states if you want lol