3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

mice ate hood liner twice, Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mice ate hood liner twice, Dynamat?

Mice nested and ate hood liner while i was away. first time i carfully pulled plastic christmas tree plugs off removed liner carfully and foil-taped ate out area. Two weeks later (been workin out of town, it sucks) they came back with there budies and really got to it. Also ate at battery blanket. I was not so careful about removin it this time figured bad anyway, i took off in about two seconds plugs a flyin, mice a flyin, mess a nest a flyin. Thinking of tieing our worthless cat in engine compartment. Any ideas. Looking at dynamat hood liner, dont know if it is any good.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mice are a pain in the tail........ Park the truck in a different spot and don't leave the block heater plugged in. They love warm areas.... Poison is about your only hope. Leave a box or two under the hood... They may stink but they won't eat your stuff.....
Old 01-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
remove the hood liner all together.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by yfz450guy
remove the hood liner all together.
spray fabric softener on any thing you don't want mice getting into
Old 01-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
mice got to mine. once. no hood liner now. When I was a service manager at a dealer here in town, we got customers all the time in that had mice damage to wiring harnesses. spray that puppy down with fabric softener quick. They would also pack the heater fan box full of garbage too.

We had Johny Tapia (the boxer) have his Cadillac towed in because it would not run. He was screaming warranty! We raised the hood and found that the mice had chewed up the engine harness pretty good. Gave him a quote to repair and he still screamed "warranty" I had to tell him that Cadillac did not manufacture the car with mice nor would they warranty rodent damage and that he should call his insurance company. He STILL screamed "warranty" Had the car towed and told him to take it to another dealer. He said, you are the only dealer in town. Said then call your insurance company and get a life.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 PM

Ditch the hoodliner and put your money into Decon and fabric softener
Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 PM

They don't like fabric softener? Like Downey or something, or maybe Fabreeze?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 AM

X2 on the hood liner and heater box. I have a beater that I use to go fishing in the woods. Don't drive it much other than fishing. They ate the hood liner and had the heater box full of junk. I have tried everything but not the fabric softner.....thats next. TIA

Jim
Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 PM

Like that fabric softner idea, but before that I put a small bag of mothballs in the engine compartment. Seems to work but then the vents started to put those fumes inside and i started to smell like my dear ol G,ma.. going to try that softner. Thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
mice got to mine. once. no hood liner now. When I was a service manager at a dealer here in town, we got customers all the time in that had mice damage to wiring harnesses. spray that puppy down with fabric softener quick. They would also pack the heater fan box full of garbage too.

We had Johny Tapia (the boxer) have his Cadillac towed in because it would not run. He was screaming warranty! We raised the hood and found that the mice had chewed up the engine harness pretty good. Gave him a quote to repair and he still screamed "warranty" I had to tell him that Cadillac did not manufacture the car with mice nor would they warranty rodent damage and that he should call his insurance company. He STILL screamed "warranty" Had the car towed and told him to take it to another dealer. He said, you are the only dealer in town. Said then call your insurance company and get a life.
You are one lucky cadillac representative...that he didnt scream knockout!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Theres a trap called aTin Cat. ZBest mouse trap I ever saw stick one under your hood.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:24 AM

I noticed I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago when I opened the hood to put my winter front on. I could hear a scurrying/"pitter patter" kind of noise, but couldn't figure out what it was, until the mouse poked his head out of one of the holes in the front, underside of the hood. Needless to say, he got trapped. He removed a good bit out of the liner for his nest, it's definitely a lot thinner in the center of it now. I drive my truck everyday, so even if you have a daily driver, it can happen to you.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

When I was hunting this year, i woke up 2 days in a row to 2 giant mice nests under the hood-It was unreal how much crap they could pack in over night. Didn't damage the hoodliner though- I didn't have it plugged in and it didn't even run for the most part- I hate mice....
Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by txarrowhunter
You are one lucky cadillac representative...that he didnt scream knockout!
he is too busy snortin coke and being a POS
Old 02-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Moth *****

Had good luc with moth *****. Made a hardwrae cloth box and put it under the hood.

Quick Reply: mice ate hood liner twice, Dynamat?