3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mega cab with snow plow

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mega cab with snow plow

Does anyone with a mega cab know if the front end will sag if I install a snow plow? Just curious if it will sag without, or even with, the snow plow prep? If it will cause sagging any suggestions on how to stop it? Is it worth ordering new coil springs from Coil Sprong Specialities? Any info would be much appreciated!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:32 PM

Just my opinion, Go buy a beater 3/4 or 1 ton ford (twin I-beam tuffest on the market) and save destroying the front end of you beatifull truck, because if the front end don't rattle and wander all over the road when you are driving, it definately will after few plow passes hanging up on the odd pothole or frost heave. Again only my opinion
Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 PM

Always plow with a beater...preferably a ford.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:36 AM

With a diesel in the Dodge, unless you have a 4500-5500, you are limited to the weight you can add to the front axle before going over GAWR. On the Western plows, my 2003 QC longbed is limited to the Midweight 7.5 foot series only.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:08 AM

I plow with my 04, this will be the trucks 5th winter with a 9ft blade, the truck handles great still even with the 22.5's. The front end does sag a little with the plow but its not bad. If your gonna plow commercialy than run your cummins, nothing pushes snow better, and is more dependable. Beaters are bad, youll spend more keeping it running than you will in wear on your truck.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 AM

I have a Boss Steel V Plow on my 06 Mega Cab w/5.9 L and it is fine. I didn't upgrade any of the supension and there is only little sag.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:55 AM

I didnt wanna get a beeter for the same reason it will turn into a money pit ,and il be plowing a lil bit comercial but most res ,i know there will b a lil sag i was just wondering if it would be bad ,the truck is a work horse i bought it in 05 ,used it for my bussness for a year i put 30k the first year ,then busssness got better i bought some other trucks,and i completly redid the mega not a scratch now,new interior better then it was when i got it,haha dodge never sold a truck this nice
Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 PM

A lot of people plow with them. Go over to plowsite.com and look around. You should be fine as long as you don't go crazy on the plow weight. Stick with the lighter ones as you may end up over your GVWR and front GAWR
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bought me a 800.00 plow truck two years ago. i have an additional 300.00 into it. it has paid for itself three times over. i estimate i can get an additonal four years out of it- with minimal money put into it-barring anything major. much rather plow with this truck- than put my 04 through all the wear and tear,etc of plowing.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 PM

How is the rear vis with the Mega Cabs while plowing? My last plow truck was a regular cab and pulled the tailgate for better backing visibity. How about swinging that thing around? Seems with the plow on it take a football field to flip it around.

I also was a fan of a beater for plowing. Got a $8K F-250 powerstroke and plowed with it for the last 3 year in Alaska. Never even saw the branch sticking out of a pile of snow that left a awesome racing stripe down the truck. For that truck I was fine, but if it was my mega, I would have been sick.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 PM

What do you guys with beaters do on a plow day, when it won't run or work properly, and you have all your accounts to get plowed? I don't like the abuse on my nice trucks either, but when it snows, I know the trucks are good to go, every time. I've been plowing for ten years, and when it snows, it's always drop everything and go. If there is a problem with a truck, it becomes a serious emergency real fast. The money that can be lost by losing accounts because your not dependable, not to mention the liability when someone falls because you didn't get the salt down is much greater than the cost of upkeep or wear and tear on a good dependable truck.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 PM

I have seen newer trucks broken down, plows damaged, etc. So there is never a gaurantee that new means it works every time, just better odds... Because it is a beater doen't mean someone doesn't keep it up. Not 1 time in 3 years did my 95 not make it out to plow in Alaska. But I took care of it, didn't abuse it like I watch some of the guys out their plowing at mach 3 slamming it forward and back. When heading off to the sand pits to get gravel I always cringed when I watched the new truck pull in under the loader with the 6 yard bucket... So, while I understand your point at having a new truck to plow, I also know plowing is rough on them... Just hard for me to assign a $50K truck to that duty, but then again, it does become a tax deduction...
Old 02-09-2008, 12:56 AM

They are trucks built for work after all.

Sorry for the hijack, BTW.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:16 AM

Yea,

Noticed the hijack myself... Sorry about that...
Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 AM

I love the guy in the 79 ford that commands top $$ & can't even half keep it running. Maken money with junk it impossible, we see it every day. Good equipment = good impressions, better profits, less breakdowns. They are take a beating when plowing. U joints on older trucks fail as they do on newer trucks. my .02

Quick Reply: Mega cab with snow plow