3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mega-buried

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just added the Superlift HD ladder bars and wow, what a difference!!! The down side was that they cost $650.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:56 AM
EDR

After I got home one of the first things I did was put on at set of BFG ATs. I had planned to do it before going hunting, but the timing didn't work out.

I still have my Michelins and I'm working with a tire shop to hopefully get them replaced under warranty. The shop said they would give me credit back for the Michelins since I had just bought the ATs when I discovered the thread about the Michelin warranty.

I don't remember any wheel hop, but I was buried up front and the rear wheels just spun, not making contact with anything. Other than getting stuck in a bog, the truck performed great.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Yeah on the wheel well liners... Cost $84 at dealership, 1 hour of my time... Priceless!!! O R

Nice truck....

Shane
Old 03-26-2007, 08:37 AM

Nice pics I have some as well from a couple of weeks ago that I need to post up. Blew 2 tires, actually tore off the valve stems to the rim. Ended up getting a backhoe to pull me out and had to get hauled off by a powerstroke. Smashed my steering stabilizer too, picked one up from napa for $38. Rims are all scratched up from mud, looks like they will be getting powdercoated soon.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 PM

ive had mine in the mud and it did a little better than what I thought. I bet that mega would go 7500lbs or more. I had a trailer behind me and it was pretty interesting, almost didnt get it. It is a pain in the rear to get it clean afterwards I know that. I wont get in the mud anymore and was just trying to get turned around when I did. It was on the floor in 4high and the triple dog was on 90 and the tranny got a little warm. it was stock and getting replaced anyway.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:14 PM

Four words that will save you a lot of grief in those conditions

"Air Your Tires Down"

Bilstien is the brand I like and they have a life time warrant. I use the 9100 series.
Not if the cans are dented!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 PM

go to 4-wheel parts and you can get one of the Pro-Comp steering stabilizers for about $35 and a dual stabilizer for around $100
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 PM

OR Mega Cab be sure to let us know if the steering damper fixed your problem.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I didn't have time to wait and order one from online. The only other place beside the dealer that had one was Les Schwab. They didn't have a heavy duty one, but it fit and it works. It actually feels a little looser than the stock one so I think I will research and buy a heavy duty one and keep the Schwab one in the truck as a spare.

As for the vibration, most of it is gone, but it did require removal of a significant amount of mud that was caught in the groove between the steel part of the wheel and the plastic chrome cover. What a stupid design!!! I have never seen a wheel designed with a groove like that on the outer rim that will trap mud or rocks or any thing. I don't mind the looks of the stock wheels, but will likely replace them now because of this design. Typically, after getting muddy, I hit the highway, take the truck up to 90 or so for a few miles and it does a great job a cleaning the mud off the tires & wheels. Not so with this wheel. Not to mention I have about 15 little paper cut type cuts on both my hands from the sharp edge on the edge of the chrome wheel cover.

OK, done with my rant for now.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Umm..you guys know what a truck bed is for? It's to haul your ATV to where the pavement ends so you don't get in these kind of situations!

(off road a $40k+ truck?? You gotta be nuts!)
Old 03-27-2007, 03:09 PM

I was less than 1/4 mile from the paved road. You can see in the pics how far the truck moved after it sunk. (2') My trucks see many "dirt road" miles. I am not one to go out and look for mud or try to get stuck "for fun". If my truck was meant to only drive on the asphalt, it would be a 4x2.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jwooden
(off road a $40k+ truck?? You gotta be nuts!)
I have over $45,000.00 in my rock crawler and that is not counting the tow rig and flatbed trailer. Expensive hobby!!!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 PM

Did you get your rifle sighted? Not sure where you're at in Ore., but if you're in the Portland area, and don't want to go off-road, I can recommend my local rifle club's facilities.

I'm looking forward to getting some range time soon.
1000 yards!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:37 PM

I'm in K-Falls. I stayed and shot the rifle while my dad went to get his truck with the winch. It looks like it could be a good shooter, time will tell.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:37 PM
EDR

The road I got stuck on was about 15 miles back in the high country, but it's a Forest Service road that's marked four wheel drive/high clearance. My Dad drove his Subaru up to our hunting camp last summer, so it's not exactly a rough road.

I've taken all my trucks up some pretty hairy roads on occasion, but I've always scouted them before hand so I know they're not going to tear my truck up - unless I do something really stupid. And other than a few skid plate dings and one or two minor paint/body scrapes I've had no problems.

It is a 4x4 truck.

Quick Reply: Mega-buried