3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maintenance questions

Serveral questions.
1. What is the reference number for the service manual for the 03 HO CTD?

2. What is the number for the fleetguard oil filter for the 03 HO CTD?

3. What is the torque for the engine oil drain plug?

4. Unfortunatly I missed the oil change at 3750 mi. and now have 5700mi on it. So I am going to go ahead and change it at 6000 mi. (This weekend). How bad is it that I missed the 3750 mi. oil change?

5. Any tips for doing the oil change?

6. What fuel filter (and its part number) do you use?

I know these questions have probably been asked before but I am limited on my computer time to do searching for these questions.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:39 PM

Re:maintenance questions

Q #4 - I wouldn't lose any sleep over it at all. I've done theme every 7500 miles from the get go and haven't had a single problem. The good thing is, you're doing it and not waiting until 100,000 miles.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:46 PM

Go buy the 421 package from Geno's, as well as the finger touch drain valve first. Then change the oil. You can wait another weekend without worry.

Fleetguard Stratapores (they'll know when you order them over the phone); can't remember the torque (only did it once after installing the one touch valve).

I've read that removing the first oil filter can be a pain sometimes - I wouldn't know, the dealer did the first one for me.

Oh, and have a LARGE pan ready; the one you use for your Kia will overflow before you crawl out from under the truck.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the large pan comment!!! If you are using the stock drain plug, it will come out FAST! I installed the fumoto valve(renamed finger touch for some reason on geno's) on mine, and the flow is definitely a bit less, so it's not quite as much of a problem. I've had these on three vehicles now with no problems. If you haven't seen one in person, your first thought will be, but what if the lever gets knocked or vibrated open and the oil drains out ....then realize of course that was the first thing they'd think about when they designed them They require a decent amount of force to open/close them. Even still, I got a few safety clips that slip over and make it impossible for the lever to pop open. They are only a dollar and are a bit of piece of mind...
Old 11-25-2003, 12:53 AM

I have the other style of quick change plug....Femco. I believe Genos sells them as well. Works really well and dont have to worry about torquing the drain plug.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:31 AM

Lightman, I read in the previous thread that you could not get all 12 qts. in. Could it be that the drain plug you use is not letting all the old oil out? I seem to remember someone saying that they stick up inside the pan a little and do not allow a complete drain.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:59 AM

Jerry, I've read that too, but have never observed it on my truck. I'm not going to lose any sleep over a thread or two sticking up into the pan.

I figure I achieved a complete drain when the oil stops draining into the bucket, then I re-fill it with 3 gallons.

I'm also using the aforementioned Fumoto valve, which may have shorter threads than the other versions. I've never saftey wired the lever, nor has any of my buddies who use them. We're just happy to be satisfied customers.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Jerry R link=board=20;threadid=22829;start=0#msg213941 date=1069759900]
Lightman, I read in the previous thread that you could not get all 12 qts. in. Could it be that the drain plug you use is not letting all the old oil out? I seem to remember someone saying that they stick up inside the pan a little and do not allow a complete drain.
[/quote]

Jerry, it wasn't that I specifically couldn't get all 12 quarts out, nobody does. Some oil will remain in the oil lines, corners of the pan, and oil system, it simply doesn't all come out..

As for the fumoto not allowing all the oil to drain - I've had them on 3 vehicles so far and never noticed any difference- meaning I've always added the same measured amount to get right to the full mark on the dipstick.. I HIGHLY recommend the fumoto/finger touch valves.

BulaBula - the safety clips are only $1 and just pop on and off with pliers. Nice to know the lever's not going anywhere, especially if you drive your truck offroad.