3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mag-Hytec trans pans

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mag-Hytec trans pans

They have deep and double deep.Does the deep increase the fluid capacity
on an 06 48RE ?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 PM

From what I have read, I don't think so. To increase capacity, the DD is what you need. By the way, anyone have the "hook-up" on Mag-Hytec products?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Turbobob
From what I have read, I don't think so. To increase capacity, the DD is what you need. By the way, anyone have the "hook-up" on Mag-Hytec products?
I wish... I paid around $275 for the rear and $300 for the tranny!!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:21 PM

Well, I just did some searching and it appears the deep in fact does not increase capacity. The double deep adds 4 quarts.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Well, I just did some searching and it appears the deep in fact does not increase capacity. The double deep adds 4 quarts.
Yep... Forgot to mention that!!
Old 05-12-2007, 12:13 AM

I went with a PML pan due to the fact that the powder coating in Mag-hytec pans can actually help hold heat in. Do some Google research before buying.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:33 AM

Do Mag-Hytec trans pans help keep the trans cooler? I can see adding more fuild would help but wouldnt another tranny cooler be cheaper and just as good? just asking

2003 qcab sbox full gauges
Old 05-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob C
I went with a PML pan due to the fact that the powder coating in Mag-hytec pans can actually help hold heat in. Do some Google research before buying.
Not true at all. The pans are aluminum which don't retain heat and the radiator fins help the cooling even more. The powder coating isn't gonna make a big different.

PML also has coating on them or you can get them with out.

Mag has been around for about 15 yrs. or more long before the rest even thought of making pans.

Most pans are only copies of the Mag pans but in reality, they're all about the same.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:30 AM

If you get the double deep will the pan reduce ground clearance? I mean would the double deep pan be the lowest point under your truck?

Thanks for your response!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned

No. Not that big of an issue from stocker one.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by tritont
Not true at all. The pans are aluminum which don't retain heat and the radiator fins help the cooling even more. The powder coating isn't gonna make a big different.

PML also has coating on them or you can get them with out.

Mag has been around for about 15 yrs. or more long before the rest even thought of making pans.

Most pans are only copies of the Mag pans but in reality, they're all about the same.
The adding of my PML pan did zero to help reduce the temps in my tranny, see the tranny temp questions thread I started.

There is a tech article somewhere (and I am searching for it big time) that talks about how powder coated pans can hold in temps due to the material and thickness of the powder coating. It also talked about how the cooling systems in the different makes of trannys and the pumps and coolers in them are designed to flow and handle X amount of fluid and when you add more to ( and if I remember correctly they said 4 qt's or more) you actually decrease its cooling ability's and can raise the temps up. I wish I could remember where it is.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shortbed rv
If you get the double deep will the pan reduce ground clearance? I mean would the double deep pan be the lowest point under your truck?

Thanks for your response!
No not at all..

Originally Posted by A_Manke
Do Mag-Hytec trans pans help keep the trans cooler? I can see adding more fuild would help but wouldnt another tranny cooler be cheaper and just as good? just asking

2003 qcab sbox full gauges

Yes it dropped my temps 12-15 degrees and hauling huge loads I can't get over 170!!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob C
The adding of my PML pan did zero to help reduce the temps in my tranny, see the tranny temp questions thread I started.

There is a tech article somewhere (and I am searching for it big time) that talks about how powder coated pans can hold in temps due to the material and thickness of the powder coating. It also talked about how the cooling systems in the different makes of trannys and the pumps and coolers in them are designed to flow and handle X amount of fluid and when you add more to ( and if I remember correctly they said 4 qt's or more) you actually decrease its cooling ability's and can raise the temps up. I wish I could remember where it is.
I don't think you can expect to see significant changes in the temps just by installing a pan. Our trucks have extremely good tranny coolers that really do the job.

The pans are just another method to " help " decrease the temps more than a stock pan can, and for aesthetic. Not sure about the PML's but, the dipstick and drain holes are another benefit over stock.

As I said... Mag has been in business a long time. I don't think they'd be as popular as they are if the powder coating made that much of a difference. Sure any paint or powder coat will seal in more heat but, the fins are there to help release it. If you notice on the fins the bottoms aren't coated.

I don't believe that about the pump and/or cooler not being able to handle the increase of fluid. Why should that make a difference ? They're only cycling the fluid. Only so much fluid can go through the lines at one time and then is returned to the pan.

Look at it this way.... if you had 4qts of water you brought to a boil and then added 4 more qts of water... your boiling point ( temp ) would be reduced and you wouldn't have your boil anymore. By adding the 4qts to the tranny, you get the same thing only you have a cooler to maintain temps.

I would say the pans helped my temps for sure. Not by a lot but, some. :-)
Old 05-12-2007, 10:32 PM

think of it like this, while it will take 4 qt's shorter time to boil than 8, it will take 8 qt's longer to cool down then 4, but the boiling point never changes, it still boils at 210 degrees, it just takes longer when there is more capacity due to the rate at which heat travels through water or ATF.

I know I got zero gains out of adding my pan and 2 extra qts, I am still getting temps of 210+ in rush hour traffic, that flows from light to light at roughly 45 mph. I don't argue the fact that the after market pans have advantages, I love the fact that it has a drain plug now and it is a proven fact that the pans (regardless of the maker) help with case deflection and so that adds to strength.

As for the pump and coolers, I felt the same way, and it was described as the extra capacity holds extra heat, and when the system is designed to "process" x amount of fluid per minute, and you add upwards to 25% more fluid, you then are reducing that coolers ability because all of the extra fluid that is still waiting, and is heating and reheating the tranny and the other fluid.

I have yet to find the article, and I did my searches at work, and I am drawing blanks here at home, I may have to wait until Monday to find that article, it makes you think with some of the tests they did.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:49 AM

I have the deep pan which increases the capacity by 1 1/2 quarts and my temps dropped 10* after the install. The DD holds 4 quarts more than stock.

Quick Reply: Mag-Hytec trans pans