3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Low Power, Boost when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022 | 03:03 PM

Exclamation Low Power, Boost when Cold

Hello all. Long time member, not a super poster. Have a problem I’m hoping you can provide some assistance with, or have experienced yourself.

I have a 2005 Dodge ram 2500 with the Cummins (specs in the sig), 60,000 miles. I’ve had no issues with this truck over the 17 years I’ve owned it, impeccable service record and everything replaced with OEM or higher quality parts. Truck has run flawless, and last trip out was removing the boat (10,000 lbs) and it did fine, pulled fine, built boost fine, etc.

I went to use it the other day, and it’s a dog (it has been very cold up here in New England). Step on the gas and it’s like driving a non turbo truck, very slow to accelerate, and very slow to build boost. Once warm (driving for 20-30 min) if I punch it, I can build to 20psi (and it stops dead at 20psi), but still does not pull hard (like it used to). It does not feel like the truck it was, and assuming it’s not getting the fuel it needs.
  1. Checked air filter and turbo (nothing inside it) to prevent air entry. (but going to clean the Air Filter Anyway
  2. No leaks in tubing for boost (other than not hearing it) if I can build 20psi I’m guessing it’s integral (gauge is mechanical)
  3. I run fuel service treatment (anti gel)
  4. I’m seeing 20 psi post engine fuel filter (70 micron strainer in tank, 7 micron in the engine mounted canister). (Mechanical fuel gauge)
  5. I have 2 micron fleet guard fuel filter after this (I’m going to change this as it may be plugged?) After I changed all 3 I noticed higher pressure (25 psi) which shouldn’t happen as the return regulator is set to 20… (changing that too)
  6. Engine temps, trans temp, pyro all are good (pyro maybe a bit lower than normal, and not getting too hot (again I feel it’s not getting fuel).
  7. Same tank of fuel before/after issue, so the filter change I don’t feel should have changed that too much, cause it ran good on the same tank.
  8. Rail pressure seems low, normal driving I can see 18,19k. if I punch it, it drops to 14/15 (which seems like plenty) but again feel that either the CP3 isn’t getting the fuel it needs (due to filter) or it won’t make that pressure (or relief valve is bad). My theory is that if it makes 19K and I gas it, and it drops to 14, it’s not able to keep up (which is either fuel, or bad CP3) but again can’t see it going bad from one drive to another. It also starts fine, runs fine, other than “when I need power").
I’ve read issues on the electronic waste gate, IAT/MAP. I need to pull codes (have not done that yet) as most of the equipment is in storage (Lost house to a fire) so it’s been a pretty tough month, and now my baby isn’t working like she should = ) I do have a TST (older R49 I think) with the single map (boost at 24 psi, full fuel at 32?). Only ever run on 2/2. I’ll also bypass this to see if it’s a box issue or not. No other chips, programmers, or anything like that.

I appreciate any help you can provide, or at least items that you have noticed that are those “stupid silly” items that cause big headaches.
Old 01-27-2022 | 09:18 AM
FMB

Originally Posted by TAS05CTD610

I appreciate any help you can provide, or at least items that you have noticed that are those “stupid silly” items that cause big headaches.
Sorry you are having issues with boost. You have a 2005 model year and thus, a plastic intercooler. If you do a search here for "plastic intercooler" you will find several threads pointing to your symptoms. Here is one. More threads here.
Good luck, back to morning brew . . .

The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (01-27-2022)
Old 02-02-2022 | 03:16 PM

Thanks FMB, I did check it over to see if I had any cracks, but would not be able to see any leaks for obvious reasons (again it was strange how it just happened so fast). (almost like it failed just sitting in the drive way), and the way I can hit 20 psi really fast, then it's like hitting a wall. I'll have to pull it throw some test plugs in and pressurize it, I limit boost to 35 psi currently so I guess that's what I'll test too. but as of each time I've driven it, 20 psi on the money (and not like 18) but 20 on the dot (others have said teh electronic boost controller).

Thanks again for the input, I'll throw it on my list of things to check.
Old 02-02-2022 | 04:33 PM
FMB

Originally Posted by TAS05CTD610
I'll throw it on my list of things to check.
I'd be interested in what you find, thanks,