3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Looking to buy 05 2WD 6 Spd. Mileage ? Towing ? Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy 05 2WD 6 Spd. Mileage ? Towing ? Questions...

I'm thinking of buying an 05 2WD 6 speed, hopefully a NV5600.

What sort of mileage can I expect ?

What are the chances of 22 MPG+ @62 MPH on long trips in good conditions ?

What if I lowered the truck a few inches ?

I've heard that the 4.10s are optimal for towing. I'll be getting 3.73s and pulling a 10K 5th wheel. Will I be lugging the engine at 1900 RPM ? If I shift to direct, I'll be running 2500 RPM. Is that too fast ?

Is there a exhaust brake available for the 05 ? I read something about the VGT being a brake itself ?

How loud are these engines with a straight pipe ? Unbareable ?

BTW: do Dodges use vacuum or hydroboost brakes ? Is there a vacuum pump on the engine or an electric one ?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 07:40 AM

If you want an 05 with a 5600 in it , you better get to looking. They are rare. Mine is a 5600 with 410 rear and has been between 17.1 and 18.4 since it has been new. This is without a load and a combo of city/highway speeds. When towing the 5er, the last trip was 12.4 at between 65 and 70. By-the -way, all this is hand calculated. I have no idea what lowering would do for anything as I have never seen one lowered. Always raised which lowers the MPG. Exhaust brakes are aproved for the 6 speeds and available thru the dealers. Some trucks get good MPG readings and some are not so good. Seems to be that you take your chances. Mine is good but then I don't try to be first all the time.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:23 AM

Re: Looking to buy 05 2WD 6 Spd. Mileage ? Towing ? Questions...

Originally posted by Superduty
I'm thinking of buying an 05 2WD 6 speed, hopefully a NV5600.

What sort of mileage can I expect ?
-Depends on how you drive it.

What are the chances of 22 MPG+ @62 MPH on long trips in good conditions ?
-I've got a 4x4 version of what you list, and I can get right at 20 with the cruise set on 60. So you at least have a fighting chance, there are some good ones out there.

What if I lowered the truck a few inches ?
-I suppose in theory it would help. Would it be enough to offset the cost? That I don't know.

I've heard that the 4.10s are optimal for towing. I'll be getting 3.73s and pulling a 10K 5th wheel. Will I be lugging the engine at 1900 RPM ? If I shift to direct, I'll be running 2500 RPM. Is that too fast ?
-These trucks are pretty happy anywhere over 15 or 1600 rpm. All reports indicate 10k ain't much of a load for these. I've had 3400 lbs in the box before, and didn't have to down shift on hills.

Is there a exhaust brake available for the 05 ? I read something about the VGT being a brake itself ?
-The 05 w/6 speed has Jacobs, Pacbrake, and at least a couple other brakes available, exhaust brake use is approved with these engines and the 6 speed. I don't know anything about a VGT being on the newer trucks.

How loud are these engines with a straight pipe ? Unbareable ?
-With a load on, @ 70 mph, it's close. If you don't run 68-72, it's not bad at all. An exhaust turndown helped mine alot. Plus it's shiny. I've still got the cat on by the way.

BTW: do Dodges use vacuum or hydroboost brakes ? Is there a vacuum pump on the engine or an electric one ?
-That's part of the reason the Jake is so expensive, you have to but and mount a vacuum pump onto your engine. The Pac uses compressed air, and is considerably less money. 2 ways of doing the same thing. With the Jake, you will also need a different than stock belt.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:14 AM

One big difference in brakes is that the Pac could void your warranty. The Jake is developed along with the engine specifically for Dodge.

I have heard of people saying their dealer is going to warranty their engine with a PAC brake on it, but I'd get it in writing.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:37 AM

I hadn't heard anything about that. The engine is exhaust brake approved, not just Jake approved. The Jake will get you DC service (for what that's worth) if you have trouble with it, and it comes under their warranty if you get it through them.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't know if anyone answered your other questions...

Dodge uses hydroboost brakes, and trucks w/6 speed do not have any type of vacuum pump that I'm aware of (auto's with cruise may). The Jacob brake comes with a large vacuum pump that bolts onto the driver's side of the engine and is driven with a longer belt that comes in the kit.

Cummins considers running the engine with a load below 1600 RPM to be lugging. My truck has 3.73's and the NV5600, and I find that I have to downshift at about 54 mph.

I would get the 3.73 unless you will be constantly towing, or will be putting on bigger tires. If you get the auto (higher OD) the 4.10 might be worth considering.

Speed makes a huge difference in fuel milage with my rig. IF I stayed around 60, I might see 20 or 21.

Good luck Superduty, and welcome to the forum. I think you will be pleased with the Cummins.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:12 PM

I disagree with IA James.

Jacobs spends alot of money to insure that their brake passes all of the criteria laid out by Cummins for an acceptable exhaust brake package that will not void your warranty. PAC does not.

The only brake warrantied is sold by Mopar, which is the Jacob's exhaust brake. Your dealer might warranty it, but if a Cummins rep has to come out he'll void your warranty.

My Jacob's manual says that the warranty for the engine is not affected does your PAC say that. I would get it in writing.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:22 PM

I disagree with you sir. I'm not advocating trying to get your Dodge dealer to warranty parts on a Pac Brake, I'm sure they wouldn't. However, the engine and transmission is rated for an exhaust brake. I'm sure DC realizes that they won't get all the business for said brakes. Chrysler is also the only one selling 30-40 fuel filters, but I haven't heard anybody having their warranty voided because of using the Fleetguard ones. Near as I can find from their respective sites, the Pac is claiming 190 Rhp, and Jacobs is showing somewhere near 180. This is a less than 10% difference, you'll get close to that much variation in the manufacturing and assembly process. I don't have a dog in this one, I just don't think that Chrysler is going to void a warranty for installing something which is for all intents and purposes identical to what they sell themselves. I realize DC has a rep for being a warranty ****, but I don't see it extending to this particular instance.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies.

I saw a nice 2wd Ext Cab Cummins auto truck today. Black. The 2WDs are sure lower than the 4WDs.

Does anyone on this board have a 2WD, Gen3 6 speed ? If so, how is it for fuel economy ?

Is the hydroboost the same as on the Fords ? Are there any problems with losing steering when the brakes are applied or stuff like that ? I had to get a new hydroboost pump on my truck. Have the Dodges had any problems ?

The Cummins makes a lot of torque (and power) at low RPMs compared to the Duramax and the 6L Ford. Do the exhaust temperatures get high or does it get thirsty ? Sorry to harp, but I'm still wondering about lugging the engine at 1800 RPM when towing. If the engine runs economically and well at 1800 RPM when towing, just tell me <again> and I'll shut up.

How are the Gen 3s for injector problems these days ? I see some posts on the subject, but nothing conclusive from what I can tell ?

One more thing. There is a Cummins shop a short distance from where I live. If I have a problem with the engine, can I take it to Cummins ? Will they do warranty work ?

One more thing. I just read something about the ECM controlling the fan. Does the Cummins have an electronically controlled fan ? Can I force it on when going down a hill to increase engine braking like I can on a big truck ?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:02 PM

SD, Where are you located? I bought my 05 from a friend of mine who just took a job as a sales guru at a dealer in CT. As of a couple of weeks ago, they did have another NV5600 on the lot. Let me know if you'd like more info on it.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Banned

I'm in the west... CT is a lllloooooonnnnnngggg drive.

Thanks anyway.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Superduty,

There have been a couple of threads about injection issues when the 3rd gens came out, but they seem few and far between.

I don't know if the hydroboost system is the same as Ford, but mine has been perfect, and I don't recall reading about any problems.

The Cummins will be happy pulling all day long at 1800 RPM. Unless you put a box on it or something, EGT's should stay in the safe range. If I recall correctly, with 3.73 at 62 mph, I think you will be spinning closer to 1900...

The 600's seem to get a bit less milage than the 555 HO, but a 2wd should get a bit better than my 4x4. I would imagine you would see around 20 or 21 highway if you stay at 62...

Lastly, I think for warranty work you have to go to the Dodge dealer, but I'm not positive on that one.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:32 AM
CMC

I still only have 460 miles on mine and the compter says I'm getting 17 mpg. Thats a mix of city and highway. It should only get better. No issues with the hydroboost and the G 56 shifts very smooth. It seems to be getting better with milage. i am very happy with the truck! At 65 MPH I am right at 2,000 RPM. i think that she will pull all day at that speed.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Banned

Thanks for the feedback. 17MPG combined city/highway on a new engine is pretty good. Please keep me informed, by PM if nothing else.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:17 PM

I got 17 on my first tank as well with ~ 2/3rds highway. The comp read 18.6. It's climbed to 19 with the 100 miles since the fill up. My stick is loosening up and rowing the NV5600 has become easier with 500 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy 05 2WD 6 Spd. Mileage ? Towing ? Questions...