3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

look at pics and advise please

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As others stated,pinion seal. Look at your front axles u-joints also, all the rust is a very strong indication of a failing u-joint.

Tim
Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
As others stated,pinion seal. Look at your front axles u-joints also, all the rust is a very strong indication of a failing u-joint.

Tim
Well then, I guess I should replace the pinion seal and the u-joint? Of course I don't know how to replace the u-joint so any directions are much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crank case vent tube is directly above the front pinion and will drop oil righ on the nose of the diff. Mine looks exactly like that and is NOT a pinion seal leaking.

Get some engine cleaner soak it real well and clean as much of th egunk off as you can. Get it cleaned up and drive if for a while until you are sure where the leaks are. A pinion seal will put a lot mor fluid out there faster than the vent tube and you will be able to see where it starts.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The vent tube should be coming out of the top of the pumpkin. Just look for a tube coming out of the differential. I had a slow leak like this in my jeep. Now the differential grinds horribly.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Crank case vent tube is directly above the front pinion and will drop oil righ on the nose of the diff. Mine looks exactly like that and is NOT a pinion seal leaking.

Get some engine cleaner soak it real well and clean as much of th egunk off as you can. Get it cleaned up and drive if for a while until you are sure where the leaks are. A pinion seal will put a lot mor fluid out there faster than the vent tube and you will be able to see where it starts.
I put a extention on my blow by tube and not as bad just have a little residue at the bottom than the top now, if you do that make sure the tube your using for an extention is big enough not to constrict the original tube and not to long or it will get pulled off eventually. I would try that before tackling the pinion seal.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 PM

The plastic vent is actually clips on to the drivers side shock tower if I remember right.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:50 PM

Yes the vent tube clips to the drivers side shock tower it does on my 04 any way it is a black aprox 3/8 hose, before you see if it has dirt in it remove it from the pumkin so you don't run the dirt into the oil. Check the amount of oil in the dif so as not to run it low and due damage.

If you need a axle U-Joint you will most likely have to have someone do that as it is a semi-major job not one for the beginner. Have someone check them for you.

Joe
Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 PM

I got under there today and it really looks like it's coming from the crank case vent tube. The differential isn't leaking a drop on the ground. As I was laying under the truck from the front I also saw a kind of clear/white plastic tube coming down from somewhere but I couldn't tell where. It was pretty clean and didn't look like any kind of oil or grease came from it. Lastly, I didn't see any vent tube coming directly from the front differential, is there supposed to be one for sure?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 PM

That clearish tube is the drain tube to the bowl for your fuel filter, and earlier I talked about the blow by tube that is the tube coming out of the valve cover, that could be causing the wetness on top by the pinion seal, because it blows out right there too. Try putting an extention on it to see if it clear up the issue did it to mine because of the slight residue on mine.