3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

look at pics and advise please

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look at pics and advise please

pics of my front differential and one of rear.

does my front look like it is leaking?

i'm brand new to this truck and 4wd so I am learning.

thanks in advance.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 PM

Looks like the pinion seal is leaking.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea looks like pinion seal
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM

Ever since I pulled mine of the lot 135k ago its had that front axle leak, and some of that residue on the side could just be from your blow by tube and to tell you the truth from as many miles as you stated were on this truck everthing else under it looks pretty good. Enjoy your truck and take care of her.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yup.
Another vote for the pinion seal.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by rich
yea looks like pinion seal
I'm afraid to ask but here goes: how hard is it to change the pinion seal? And is that gear oil that is leaking? Yeah, most of the miles were highway from the first owner driving 1 hr. to and from work every day.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 PM

pionion seal is easy, but judging by the very small leak, more just wet then anything, i wouldn't even change it till it got worse. if you mark the nut and take it off to change the seal, just make sure you get it to the same spot as to not over tighten it. to get the same preload on the pinion bearing.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 PM

Just change your fluid to a good synthetic 85/140 like Royal Purple or Red Line Oil, and see if it slows down the leak.
I wouldn't worry about it until it gets worse like pullin hard said.
If you decide to do any wheeling in the water, just remember to drain and change your fluids right away.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by pullin hard
pionion seal is easy, but judging by the very small leak, more just wet then anything, i wouldn't even change it till it got worse. if you mark the nut and take it off to change the seal, just make sure you get it to the same spot as to not over tighten it. to get the same preload on the pinion bearing.
I'm pretty much a novice so what tools will I need for this?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 PM

you may want to check the vent hose for blockage on the front axle also. the pinion seal on my trk was leaking but after messin around with the vent hose, it stopped leaking
Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 PM

Unless you are leaving puddles of oil I wouldn't mess with it. could be caused by overfill of the diff also.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by stroker101
you may want to check the vent hose for blockage on the front axle also. the pinion seal on my trk was leaking but after messin around with the vent hose, it stopped leaking
where is that located?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 AM

you will need the tools to remove the drive shaft bolts , and a socket for the pinion nut, i don't remember off hand what size they are. a cheap seal puller, and a small hammer to tap the seal into place, it can be a bit tricky to do, i have a couple seal installers, or even a round piece of pipe the same size as the seal itself will work good, makes tapping into place easier with out damage to the seal.you want to tap it in square.i put grease around the back side of the seal too, this will help keep the small spring in place when you tap it. when you get the seal you will know what i am talking about.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 AM

And just for the sake of saying it...........

Every higher mileage truck I looked at, in the three months I was searching, supposedly had only "Highway Miles" on it. Don't believe it Tndiesel...

It all does look normal too but that pinion seal is leaking. I had one leak before and it was caused by mud clogging up the vent tube. I would check that first just as was already suggested. Now, it may have already been fixed too and they just didn't clean up when they were done. If it were me, I'd get under there with some sort of degreaser and clean all the areas where you see oil residue. If it comes back then you know there is still a problem.....
Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
And just for the sake of saying it...........

Every higher mileage truck I looked at, in the three months I was searching, supposedly had only "Highway Miles" on it. Don't believe it Tndiesel...

It all does look normal too but that pinion seal is leaking. I had one leak before and it was caused by mud clogging up the vent tube. I would check that first just as was already suggested. Now, it may have already been fixed too and they just didn't clean up when they were done. If it were me, I'd get under there with some sort of degreaser and clean all the areas where you see oil residue. If it comes back then you know there is still a problem.....

where is that vent tube y'all are talking about?

Quick Reply: look at pics and advise please