3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

long distance Diesel break in

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 05:29 PM
LB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long distance Diesel break in

I am considering buying a new 2500 diesel automatic 4x4 from Steve White motors in North Carolina and I live California. If I fly out and drive it home (2600 miles) would there by any problems breaking it in this way?

Thanks,
LB
Old 04-17-2004, 06:37 PM

You'll need to vary your speed for the first 500 miles I think, so you should not use the cruise control. Check the owners manual though, its been a while since I read about this. Also, do not let it idle very long when it is new because that is not good for the break-in either. Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 04-17-2004, 07:52 PM

Just drive differant speeds for first 500 miles.Engine and DIFFERANTIALS both need this and have a fun trip!
Old 04-17-2004, 07:54 PM

Drive it home and have a blast. Sounds like fun!

Are they certified in CA? Wouldn't want you to have to do any tap dancing at the DMV because of your shiny new truck.....
Old 04-17-2004, 08:11 PM

I'm pretty sure that all the new trucks are 50 state legal. The old mileage restrictions for bringing trucks into Kalifornia were the minimums to bring in a truck that did not meet Kalifornia emissions standards. As I recall you had to have 7,500 miles (or thereabouts) and they also used to ding you with a $ 300.00 fee (read that penalty or fine). Shouldn't have a problem, but they will hit you with sales tax. I used to live there and brought in several trucks from Nevada. I was finally granted political asylum in Nevada.

I would expect that your truck would love a nice long ride over varied terrain for its first few miles.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
After 500 miles roll around, buy yourself a new trailer to finish the break-in process!
Greg
Old 04-17-2004, 09:40 PM

California approval

If you want the engine sticker which is examined by the DMV for CARB approval I believe this can only be purchased (ordered) in California, Nevada, Arizona, and Oregon.

I purchased in Nevada and when I registered it in Placerville, they did come out and look under the hood for the CARB approval on the engine sticker.

When I ordered, it had to be ordered specifially with a California sticker. What the difference is I have not be able to determine.

jr
Old 04-17-2004, 10:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you get a quote from Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, ID? They are the biggest Dodge dealer in the world, and they beat everyone on prices. PM Biglar-He lives in Palm Springs, CA. He would know about the licensing.
He ended up buying his there after he looked around (I told him about it).It is also closer to you than North Carolina.

Mike
Old 04-17-2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Marine
Did you get a quote from Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, ID?
I got a quote for Dave Smith but found a better price from Charlie Gillies at Carson Dodge in Carson City, Nevada and only 75 miles from home.

jr
Old 04-17-2004, 10:53 PM

Wow. You can't beat 75 miles.

Mike
Old 04-18-2004, 08:11 AM

Re: long distance Diesel break in

Originally posted by LB
I am considering buying a new 2500 diesel automatic 4x4 from Steve White motors in North Carolina and I live California. If I fly out and drive it home (2600 miles) would there by any problems breaking it in this way?
Are you doing this because you're getting a sweet deal? There are dealers closer to you, like DTR member Tomeygun in St. Louis that sell for 3% under invoice. You might be better off, $$ wise, going there or to Smith in ID.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nevada
I'm pretty sure that all the new trucks are 50 state legal.
True, but you have to specify this when you order one since there still are two different versions. I'd REALLY check into this!

Good Luck with your truck and enjoy the trip! I always wanted to drive cross country!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Marine
Did you get a quote from Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, ID? They are the biggest Dodge dealer in the world, and they beat everyone on prices.
They like everyone to think this, but they weren't able to come close on either of the two trucks I've bought. Add to that the airfare and time to go get it and they were basically MSRP, compared to the invoice +$200 on my 98.5 and invoice - $1000 - rebates - military on my 03. Both from local dealers. DS was pretty much invoice +$500 in 98 and maybe invoice, though I think + something, last summer.

Dave Smith is the biggest, most likely, but you won't get your service there and you can more than likely get the same OR BETTER price elsewhere.

Just my observations.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:32 PM

That could be now. However, they were the lowest price on my truck.

Mike
Old 04-18-2004, 08:09 PM
LB

Wow, Thanks for the replies. I haven’t tried Dave Smith Motors but I will give them a call. That could work for me because I can integrate it into a vacation back home to Billings Montana. Steve White's price is invoice less rebate less 1/2 holdback. That’s way better than the fleet managers I spoke with will do around here. I will also check Charlie Gillis in Carson City. I am a little concerned about the 600’s mileage after reading the posts here so I may look for a 555.

Thanks,
LB

Quick Reply: long distance Diesel break in