3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Local tranny guys dumb or me

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local tranny guys dumb or me

My problem I took my truck to the local guys(not many 2) I have a 03 with the 47re. I run 35s and I have a edge att. PROBLEM I cant spin the tires or if I run up to a 7" stump i cant even slowly run over it. I dont even break the tires loose in the gravel. Cant even brake torque the ****

Tranny guys here say its a lack of power Level 5 I hit it it revs some snap but it needs to be rolling before it comes to it. From a stop it seems it slips not when i drive normal. Have lockup in od

No crud or metal, burnt fluid. Did the filter and new fluid. Still no change 1 guy told me the diesels somtime cant get up the ramp in his shop. Seems he just not into doing mine. Truck drives fine as along as i dont mash the pedal.

Anyone have a Idea. STOCK tranny
Old 03-22-2007, 05:56 PM

Where do you live? I think you need to see one of our more expert trannie guys.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:03 PM

I don't think it's your tranny.

It sounds like your truck is in some type of limp mode. Check for intercooler leaks.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:48 PM

I live in Nekoosa, WI What do you mean limp mode if I may ask.

Just to fill you in also. My truck was hit by lighting Last summer Dont tell the wife but I think a higher power was telling me somthing. IT was on my Party night for our WEDDING. Dealer put in a new dash, computer, Edge sent me a new programmer(free), reprogrammed for tires done the same thing from day one before the edge. (3rd box) do to the lighting. No codes
Old 03-22-2007, 06:55 PM

Well here's the question, does it smoke at all when you romp on it? Because the edge should give you a decent puff of smoke on take off. If not then I would point to some sort of limp mode or something is fried due to the lightning strike (unfortunately).
Old 03-22-2007, 07:35 PM

Yes it smokes. Need to find this out. Insurance paying up to 1 year after. 1st 2nd shifts seem loose 3rd so so od locks fine feel the diff. Checked again min ago no codes. I made sure the truck was on the up and up. 5 times back to dealer. 4th time they replaced the computer. I was thinking its tranny because nothing on bottom as soon as it hits OD its great. Just sloppy on bottom. If it is wet out i can chirp the tires.. One thing that gets me is some guys can just lite them up and all kinds of power mine is doggy. Even with the juice. Level 5 just revs big lag then it starts to come if i let off.

Maybe its me, other toy is a 64 stepside with 625hp 496 bored 383 but who knows
Old 03-22-2007, 07:40 PM

i have the edge/attitude combo on my 05 and i have a slight lag but then it lights the tires up and does the little sideways step, so i would say that there is a problem somewhere for sure.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 PM

Thats what i thought it should do. Dealer says nothing else wrong but we know how this goes. Looking here for some answers.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Man, my Edge juice w/a +hot makes my stock tranny scared for it's life. I can't smoke the tires in 3, but I can roast them on 5 with out trying. Something is wrong here. If I had a truck that was hit by lightning, I'd run away from it as fast as I could. I'm not trying to be mean, or say bad things about about your truck, but that would make me scared like it was cool.

My truck acts normal with 3, but just with more power. (no tranny slip)

I hope that you find out what is up, and you don't have to pay for it. Good luck...
Old 03-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mopig
My problem I took my truck to the local guys(not many 2) I have a 03 with the 47re. I run 35s and I have a edge att. PROBLEM I cant spin the tires or if I run up to a 7" stump i cant even slowly run over it. I dont even break the tires loose in the gravel. Cant even brake torque the ****

Tranny guys here say its a lack of power Level 5 I hit it it revs some snap but it needs to be rolling before it comes to it. From a stop it seems it slips not when i drive normal. Have lockup in od

No crud or metal, burnt fluid. Did the filter and new fluid. Still no change 1 guy told me the diesels somtime cant get up the ramp in his shop. Seems he just not into doing mine. Truck drives fine as along as i dont mash the pedal.

Anyone have a Idea. STOCK tranny

With a Juice and 35's and stock tranny? not for long!!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:57 PM

Hay now when it goes it goes I dont care. Then I buy a goerd tranny. I just cant believe its a dog. Like i said before it has done this since i bought it. It had 18000 miles on it so I bought the edge. I drive a 2005 Ferd 4door 1 ton for work. I tell you what that truck could kill mine w/o chip. I know my 03 is down on hp stock but the edge should help.

This brings me to the tranny. I have only 5000 miles on the 35s. It had a hard time spinning the 265s with the chip. What can i look for.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:53 PM

You said when you stomp the pedal ,it smokes and it idles up ,but no tire spin or speed. Sure sounds like power not getting to the ground. ( tranny slipping)
Old 03-24-2007, 11:41 AM

Thats what i tryed to tell the tranny shops but they just said its a diesel. If i dont get on it the tranny seems to work. I just want to know it i buy a t/c and a v/b this will help. 50000 on the truck right now. I have not pulled anything over 3000lbs since ive had it. Is it to late or can i save it. Anyone out there with the 03 spin there tires on pavement???
Old 03-24-2007, 11:50 AM

Edge on higher levels can make trannys alittle angry and *&%%$@ off at your right foot . does it have a shutter when you mash it?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:49 PM

I was having a problem much like yours, the truck would not pull a 2000# trailer up a 20degree incline. Earlier today, I switched the transmission relay with the wiper relay and the truck seems to pull a lot better. The relays are located in the fuse box under the hood (2003 model). When the truck started the problem it came on rather quick. I don't know if I solved anything, but I would be interested if your truck would make an improvement with the same switch. One thing is for sure, it is easy to try and does not cost anything.

Quick Reply: Local tranny guys dumb or me