3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Limited Slip Rear Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited Slip Rear Differential?

Hey all...how can i tell if i have it on my truck or not (no, i don't have the sticker in the glove box) without taking of the diff cover??? Thx
Old 12-15-2006, 03:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think the dealership should be able to punch your VIN into their computer and print a build sheet...
Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but that should be fairly easy.
1. Jack up your rear end, spin one wheel. If only one wheel spins, you have a limited slip.
2. Try and spin your wheels in dirt or wet grass. You should leave 2 wheel marks, if you have a limited slip.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1stdodge
Correct me if I am wrong, but that should be fairly easy.
1. Jack up your rear end, spin one wheel. If only one wheel spins, you have a limited slip.
2. Try and spin your wheels in dirt or wet grass. You should leave 2 wheel marks, if you have a limited slip.
When you say "leave 2 wheel marks" you mean both sides spinning, correct? If so, I have always heard that described as positive traction...or a locking rear differential...if it was limited slip, the side that starts spinning should stop and the opposite side start spinning instead to try and gain traction...I may be wrong, but that's what I have always believed?

Derek
Old 12-15-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by derek.mckay
When you say "leave 2 wheel marks" you mean both sides spinning, correct? If so, I have always heard that described as positive traction...or a locking rear differential...if it was limited slip, the side that starts spinning should stop and the opposite side start spinning instead to try and gain traction...I may be wrong, but that's what I have always believed?

Derek
It should transfer some power to the other wheel. whereas an opened ended rear end would spin one wheel and leave only one mark, never tranferring any power to the other wheel. Being that limited slips are activated on torque they can be somewhat finicky and not always transfer power. The only difference between a locker and a limited slip is that a limited slip will allow a wheel to turn at a different speed without binding the rear end. Like when you are turning a corner. Probably the easiest way to tell is to jack up the rear and spin one wheel. The other wheel should spin in the same direction, if its a limited slip. If its an open differential, one wheel will spin in the opposite direction. Anybody else feel free to pipe in, if I am wrong.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 PM

A limited slip and a postraction are the same thing. Read all about how diffs work here.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
Old 12-16-2006, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other wheel should spin in the same direction, if its a limited slip. If its an open differential, one wheel will spin in the opposite direction. Anybody else feel free to pipe in, if I am wrong.
True, with exception of the TracRite GT thats installed in the third gen trucks. They will spin opposite.

You can remove the cover. The TracRite has pinion gears that appear to have ground through to the outside of the case.

Do a search, lots of threads of the pros and cons of this differential.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:39 AM

Call AAM with the sku# or bar code# off the axle. Thats what I did & learned a little bit about the limited slip (torque biassing).I have an open rear end & can spin both tires in grass & snow if I'm sitting level with no weight on the truck.ARB might be on the market by spring.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:07 AM

Mine acts like an open diff when the rear axle is up on stands but when I drive the front end up on ramps the rear tires leave identical marks on the cement, if they slip. I'm guessing it has some sort of LS control. Is that the tq. biasing? It sure has a strange looking carrier and spiders inside. They don't look like spider gears at all. The gears I can see are parallel with the axles. I never saw a diff like that! The glovebox tag doesn't show anything about LSD. Craig
Old 12-16-2006, 10:19 AM

My dealer told me yesterday that my truck nor any of the aam axles have limited slip
Old 12-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by usernames_taken
My dealer told me yesterday that my truck nor any of the aam axles have limited slip
Should have asked him why it is an option for 250+/- dollars on our trucks then...sounds like maybe he has a bit of "popped out the womb a tard syndrome"

Derek
Old 12-16-2006, 10:29 AM

Actually...the service guy pulled up my vin on the pc....he couldn't read all the codes so he called one of his better technicians which said
non of the aam rear axles have limited slip
i think once i have a real problem i will need to find a better dealership.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Chapter President

If you have an Auto you should be able to do a power brake and see if both rear wheels spin and leave marks, or if you have a stick and you know how to do a burn out do one and have someone watch to see. that's the easiest way.
I'm not responsable if you break something.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:28 AM

If you test with both rears off and stop one, it will spin like a straight axle. Apply resistance to both wheels and both should spin equally. It needs some resistance to transfer the torque. Thats why the manual recommends applying a little emergency brake when in very slippery conditions. Sounds good on paper but in SOME rear world conditions it sucks. If you acquired it for straight line traction (grass, pavement, dirt) etc, it works better than others.
The problem is when one wheel is on VERY slippery surface or hung up (like buried, and hung on the axle) the wheel just spins like a straight axle would. The application of emergency brake is SUPPOSE to offset this condition. It doesn't in majority of these conditions.
Your best bet is get someone ELSE to read your VIN, unless someone did a after build install, the VIN should reflect it. They have limited slip, and its made by AAM, its called Tractrite GT. Prior to gen 3 the axles were Dana.