3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift pump --- 04 died

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump --- 04 died

Hi friends.

Why me, well I have 20000miles / 32000km on my truck and today it died. Cruising back home it suddenly lost fuel supply ( I think), bit of blue smoke at the rear and no boost.

I just pulled in to the right lane and found a good spot to pull of the road. Called roadside assistance and help on the way pronto.

But I decided to look for the code and it showed P0628, and now find it to be: "fuel lift pump control circuit low".

Not to happy right now, but this is a great truck.

I did NOT think this was a common problem on 03-04s, has it happened to you?

So, tomorrow morning, dust of the 2000 Dodge/ Cummins 6 speed and back to work I go.

Way too busy right now to stand around watching them fix it, just hope they can source parts nearby and have the big red one fixed for the weekend.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
There are some that are failing. Sorry to read of your failure.

The dealer I know in Regina replaced 4 this past winter.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:07 AM

Hi Scotty.

Fortunatly did it happen just 5min from my dealer in Canmore, Alberta.

But, since it happened after the cut-off time for overnight deliveries from the Chrysler distibution centre in Red Deer, will it be challenging to get it done Friday.

Now, why did I not install a fuel pressure gauge when I installed my pyro & boost???
Old 04-16-2004, 01:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First I've heard of this.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:42 AM

I wish I had a second one in the garage for a spare! I've been thinking about getting another 1st gen and bombing the heck out of it just in case I need a spare.......

Oh, I've had no problems like that with mine and I don't think it's a real common problem. Mechanical things break, unfortunately..
Old 04-16-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have noticed that most of the lift pump failures have been up in Canada. Is it because of the extended use of #1 diesel for the winter? On the dieselram.com forum a few members up in Canada has experienced lift pump failures.

MikeyB
Old 04-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by MikeyB
I have noticed that most of the lift pump failures have been up in Canada. Is it because of the extended use of #1 diesel for the winter? On the dieselram.com forum a few members up in Canada has experienced lift pump failures.

MikeyB
Interesting observation. I have been wondering about the effect things like the EZ have on the pumps. Anyone with some words of wisdom?

I really think the problem in the Canadian fuel is contamination from Penguin dung.

DuckingTheIncomingBob
Old 04-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by FiverBob
Interesting observation. I have been wondering about the effect things like the EZ have on the pumps. Anyone with some words of wisdom?

I really think the problem in the Canadian fuel is contamination from Penguin dung.

DuckingTheIncomingBob
Old 04-16-2004, 07:48 PM

I was wondering if the fuel up here was better... I never did have a lift pump failure on my 2nd genny 98.5, after 5 1/2 years, and 70,000 miles. Knock on wood for my 3rd genny!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What is interesting is the GM Duramax uses the same CP3 high pressure fuel pump. It and the CUmmins has an internal gear rotor fuel pump that on the Dmax, actually sucks fuel out of the tank. The Dmax has no lift pump.

I guess since Dodge decided on a lift pump, they also decided when it failed it would block fuel. This would be a nice project... install a bypass plumbing for that situation.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:17 PM

So, here is the latest.

Cummins have lift pumps to 3gs on a tight rein, they needed dealer tech. to varify to release and ship parts. OK, well they also said it is a fuel quality issue,??? Thinking back I had just got fuel about 2 hours drive prior to stall. This station I had used is a very low volume seller, but a big brand name. So since I have a corporate account with them, I called the 800 number and told them my story. Strongly demanded an analysis of diesel quality, and expect it next week. Well dealer will repair 04 on Monday and get me back in my favorite drive.

But, the saga continues.

My 00 started fine, last time I drove it was in November. But prior to parking it did I have fuel filter/ fuel supply problems a couple of times. MMMMMMMMMMMMM makes me think back a bit, guess where I periodically fuel up. Right, the same station. So what do you think happens today???? guess Coming back from work my 00 died, fuel starvation/ supply about 1/2 mile from dealer. I did fuel up this morning at another station nearby (same brand) but how can this be.

Got it restarted, drove to dealer, checked code, P0460 defective fuel sending unit.........

So, tomorrow Saturday I go to work in my Dodge 1500 gas job.

This will not have a fuel problem!!!! please.

2 trucks, 2 generations, 2 days, same problem,

Maybe I have to buy lottery tickets with so much luck.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:40 PM

If your going to throw a new lift pump in, why not just upgrade to the DD Big Fuel Line / Pusher Pump Kit? For a little over $300 you can get a major improvement in a lift pump. If mine went, that's the way I would go.

Also, if you are in the far north where they winter blend the fuel with #1, are you using any additives for fuel system lube? I use the Fleetguard winter stuff in my truck.

-Muzzy
Old 04-20-2004, 12:52 AM

Monday Night Update:::

Well my truck is fixed and mobile, no charge, but very interesting chat with tech.

This is apparently an Alberta only problem, quality of fuel??

My little local dealer has replaced 30-40 lift pumps in the last year or so, why??

Most trucks had Shell fuel in them , mine has only had Esso. Cummins has all of this recorded and have come up with a fix.

All replaced lift pumps up here are the "modified test pump", 2nd failures of these have not been recorded.

The cause of the failures is" high conductivity in fuel"!!!

So, while I am pleased to have my 04 back, I just wanted to give you fellow travellers the heads up on our challenges.

But my 00 has code P0460, faulty fuel sending unit, so we are going in tomorrow with this truck for repairs, but no warranty this time.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:41 AM

So should i take my 04 in for a replacement pump? I really dont want to be stuck out in the bush where the cell phones dont work. I wonder if they would replace it with this "modified pump" for nothing. Is this a good upgrade? DD Big Fuel Line / Pusher Pump Kit? For a little over $300 you can get a major improvement in a lift pump. will it leave me out in the bush like the factory lift pump?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:14 PM

AlbertaBear: do you know if the Shell diesel was the super diesel? Reason I ask is I tried this for 2 tanks and mpg dropped 2 to 3 mpg.

Quick Reply: Lift pump --- 04 died