3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Learning about Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learning about Diesels

Just as my other threads have stated, I am new to diesel trucks. However, I am really interested in them. I love reading about them, watching them, listening to them, working on them (as much as I am capable of) and my head turns whenever I hear the roar of a dodge diesel engine (sometimes easy to distinguish between Chevy, and Ford) traveling down the road. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone knows how I could learn more about them. I have read several magazines, visited various forums, and talked with different mechanics, but it is difficult to have a technician take a lot of time and teach me different things. I want to know if there is a really good manual available to buy or anything else that would explain things, in detail, to me so that I can learn a lot more about these great engines. If you have any suggestions please tell me. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome and read these forums!

Short answer! LOL!

Rick
Old 12-23-2005, 01:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Rick!

A year ago I barely knew a turbo from an injector. Just get on here and read.

Then start tinkering a little on your truck, and if you have a question just ask right here. You will usually get multiple answers to your question by somebody who knows more than you, or has already experienced that problem.

Wouldn't hurt to read some tech manuals too. And maybe join your local chapter of DTR and go to some dyno meets or whatever event is going on that month. Good Luck!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:35 AM

I think you are well on your way to your goal just by BEING here!! Welcome!!
Old 12-23-2005, 12:40 PM

I really didn't know Shilt from Shine-o-la about Diesels other than I wanted a Cummins. After being a member of this site from the beginning of the year, I have to say I learned a good amount. In fact after only about 3 months, when I finally went to my dealer and ordered my truck, the salesman actually said to me, I should work there, I knew more about the Rams than he did!!

This is a very informative site, you'll find just about any answer to any question you might have. I have saved money, sold parts, etc, just from being a member. This is prob. one of the best community sites ever put together, and I can't say enough good about it!!
Old 12-23-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
I really didn't know Shilt from Shine-o-la about Diesels other than I wanted a Cummins. After being a member of this site from the beginning of the year, I have to say I learned a good amount. In fact after only about 3 months, when I finally went to my dealer and ordered my truck, the salesman actually said to me, I should work there, I knew more about the Rams than he did!!

This is a very informative site, you'll find just about any answer to any question you might have. I have saved money, sold parts, etc, just from being a member. This is prob. one of the best community sites ever put together, and I can't say enough good about it!!
I agree. I got into diesels because my roommate got a CTD and bought a programmer for it. after i rode in and drove his truck stock vs. programmer and considering power vs mpg i knew it was the only engine i ever wanted in a truck. I started looking on the internet for diesel info and found this forum. i'd say after about 7mo of looking i learned a little, but after being a member of this forum for about a month or two i'd say my knowledge has quadrupled. thats just me tho