3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Leaky rear diff...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Leaky rear diff...

OK guys, my rear diff main seal is leaking pretty good. I've only got 16k on the ticker. Has anybody else had issues with this. If so, how long did the repair take? I don't wanna be down for a long time. Will the dealership give me a loaner if it's gonna be an involved repair? Is there a TSB for this issue? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:49 PM

whats a diff main seal? pinion seal? cover leaking? either way its not a big deal.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:53 PM

I don't know about you but I'll be a bit annoyed if the pinion seal starts leaking after 16K miles.

I haven't had any issues but I've got less than 4K miles on it.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by slorocco
I don't know about you but I'll be a bit annoyed if the pinion seal starts leaking after 16K miles.
Annoyed, sure. But like chromegrill said its really not a big deal. It's easily fixed in a day, as long as parts are available.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:22 PM

I noticed mine the other day, not even damp to the touch, but you can see where the pinion seal may be very slightly leaking. Not really worried at this point, also only 16k miles. But if you have a bad leak have it repaired, my dad and I replaced the pinion seal in his '90 model, not a big deal to do. If you have a good dealer they should have you in and out in a days time or less.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:24 PM

Yup, pinion seal. Sorry if I offended anybody for getting my nomenclature incorrect. Anywho, I thought I heard somewhere that this was a fairly common problem amongst the third gens. Anywho, my entire rear diff is covered in oil. It was just a little moist right near the seal, but now it's wet all the way back to the entire portion of the pumpkin except for the cover itself. My 1990 4runner w/224k didn't even have this much moisture on the rear diff. I'm a little miffed actually.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:22 AM

Mine started leaking after about 29k. It would be fixed but, the dealer didnt have a seal in stock to put on it. Due to my schedule I've just not had time to go back.
Why is it the dealer never has the part I need fixed and it always takes two trips? Come on its only a pinion seal.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:09 AM

I had my seal leak at around 1200 miles, took it to the dealer to have it changed. A couple of weeks later it started to leak again, but I just put on my lift kit and the dealer didn't want to warrenty the seal, they said that because of the lift that's what caused the seal to leak. I argued with the service department and told them that they have replaced the seal just a couple of weeks ago and their is no way a lift is going to cause the seal to leak that quickly. They said to bring my truck back and they will change the seal again, so I did. This time I dropped my truck off and I was wearing my work uniform (I'm a mechanic for tractor/trailers and heavy equipment) to their suprise they couldn't give me a BS excuse. I waited for my truck to be fixed at the dealership and could see my truck in the tech's stall. When he was removing the yoke of the rearend he was banging it with a 2lb. hammer. I walked over to the service counter and asked to see the service manager and we both watched the tech bang on the yoke. I told the service manager that's why the new seal failed. If the yoke is stuck use a puller not a hammer. I had them replace the yoke. I even had to show the tech how to use the puller, that's really scary. It just goes to show you that you really need to choose a good dealership to take your truck in for warrenty work. Since the yoke and seal change I haven't had any problems with it leaking.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:43 PM

Good info, thanks. I'll see if I can't watch the guy replace the seal. I used to be a helicopter mechanic (seals are seals, right?) and I'll watch to see if he uses a seal puller or not.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:28 PM

5600 miles on the 06 and the pinion seal is already leaking
Old 06-22-2006, 06:00 PM

I had a new 92 CTD that had that problem about every two months. After a year and a half I traded it in on a Dakota 4x4. My 03 has not had a problem with the axle seals yet but both pinion seals have been replaced within 70,000 miles with the front one just being replaced last week.... No big deal..
Old 06-22-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had my front pinion seal replaced. Make sure they replace the yoke too. They showed me mine and there was a very slight groove in it. Otherwise, you will be back again. Also, the new yoke is of better material (so they say), but it looked better too then the old one. Mine started at around 30K. Still dry after 5k, hope it stays that way. I was in and out in 3 hours...
Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Chapter President

I'm on my fourth rear pinion seal. 80K on the clock DC paid for the first one at 18K then at 38K and 68K I paid. Costs $86.14, just shy of the deductible for the power trane.
tom
Old 06-23-2006, 02:11 PM

Thanks again guys. I went by the dealership yesterday. They have "a bunch" of seals in stock. To me this means this is a common problem. Next week she'll be getting the old one replaced. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seals don't just start leaking for no reason! Could be lack of lube, rough seal surface on the yoke or in the housing, loose pinion brgs, damaged during install or wrong seal size. I don't like how DC runs these diffs. so low on lube. It's no wonder they have problems! Craig

Quick Reply: Leaky rear diff...