3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Launch Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Launch Shudder

Anyone have a problem with launch shudder? Did you fix it? Just got a new truck (dually CTD) and it shakes a little when taking off from a stop. Took it to dealer who called DC who said this is something they have heard about but otherwise seemed clueless about what to do. DC is going to think on it. I will pass on any ideas. I'm afraid they are setting me up for the "they all do it" answer.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:28 PM

First, welcome to the DTR. This is a great site with some real smart people and I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question. In the meantime, might I suggest that you fill out your signature with the specs of your truck. It will help people to diagnose your situation easier.
Regarding the launch shudder, do you have an '03 or '04, automatic or manual trans? Those two things should at least help someone answer your question easier. Just off hand, it could be the torque convertor if you have an automatic or possibly need some center carrier bearing shims to lower the bearing if you have a two-piece driveshaft. That would be for either an automatic or manual trans but usually only if the truck has been lifted a bit. I would think that it would be setup from the factory to be just right but I'm not sure.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:26 AM

I have the launch shudder problem as well. I don't notice it much anymore and have attributed it to the new '03 model. I towed a trailer once and it was real noticable, almost felt like the clutch was slipping or I was spinning the tires. I don't believe either was happenning. I posted this earlier and someone responded that they thought it could be the axle/springs under torque and how they release. I havn't had a chance to tow anything (wish I did) and so I don't know if it still is hapenning.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:11 AM

Same here have about 25,000 on the OD it has done it since day1 told dealer about it and they acknowledge it but don't know what to do. Sure would be nice that DC could find a cure for this problem.
It almost feels like a old truck with the clutch grabbing on take off.
Is this what you feel? Mine is a 48re

Sittenbull
Old 02-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Banned

PM Fiverbob he has had some work done by his dealer to fix his launch shudder.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by spots
PM Fiverbob he has had some work done by his dealer to fix his launch shudder.
We are still "tweaking" my fix. My shudder is in low gears (1 - 3)only when loaded with the fiver. Several autos have commented about it with no load. It is hard to tell with the stick and no load - - you try to put your foot in it in second or third and you are tacked out before you can stop to think about it.

We are playing with the position of the carrier bearing assembly. Adding shims under it to drop it lower has definitely affected it. The last try was too much, so we have a new 3/16" plate ready to go in. That is in the middle of original and too much. Hopefully it will eliminate it or reduce it sufficiently to live with it. A new clutch did nothing for it.

My mechanic did mention he had played with a 2500 to alter the angle of the drive shaft to the rear end. It removed the shudder on that one. I am not sure what he did to do that. Too bad DC has never established a database to share these wonderful little tidbits of information. DUHHHHH
Old 02-23-2004, 02:13 PM

Hey, Bob.

I was wondering if you ever tried a combination of shims at the carrier bearing, and degree shims at the rear end.

I made a 1/2" spacer for the carrier bearing to fix some 1st gear shudder. I didn't need the degree shims on my '02 4X4 though.

Boyd.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Borush
Hey, Bob.

I was wondering if you ever tried a combination of shims at the carrier bearing, and degree shims at the rear end.

I made a 1/2" spacer for the carrier bearing to fix some 1st gear shudder. I didn't need the degree shims on my '02 4X4 though.

Boyd.
It has 1/2" under there right now and it is worse than it was with nothing. Also, I am noticing a little bit of shudder when empty in 2nd and 3rd. So, we are going to drop her back and see. Then we will attack the rear end if that is not satisfactory. It would seem it has something to do with the drop in the bed when it is loaded on mine. Others do it when empty, but I think those are the auto that can lay on it from the take off. Only time I can push the pedal down is with a load when in the low gears.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:13 PM

I got a call a little while ago from the dealer. They didn't know what to do with it so contacted DC STAR center. STAR says they do not have any reports of this problem and has opened a case to follow it. If they come up with anything that works, I'll post.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:20 PM

Question above on what it feels like. Description of clutch chatter or wheel hop is pretty good. At first I thought it was just a little rough pavement but then it happened every time. Doesn't matter how much or how little throttle it gets, it always does it. It is not anything big, just a subtle shaking from about 0-5 mph. I have been putting on my camper tiedowns etc and probably will load camper tomorrow. That will really change the drive line angle so I can see what it does then.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Ponderosa
Question above on what it feels like. Description of clutch chatter or wheel hop is pretty good. At first I thought it was just a little rough pavement but then it happened every time. Doesn't matter how much or how little throttle it gets, it always does it. It is not anything big, just a subtle shaking from about 0-5 mph. I have been putting on my camper tiedowns etc and probably will load camper tomorrow. That will really change the drive line angle so I can see what it does then.
The feel is the whole truck just shudders. The shudders increases in frequency as the truck accellerates. The 1/2" shims doubled the frequency of the shudder. Figger that one out. I am pretty positive it is some drive line whip from a wrong angle, hence the change when loaded. The autos can put the hammer down a little more from scratch than we six bangers can unless we are loaded.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:45 PM

If the shudder is related to driveline angle it may be good to keep track of if any 2WD trucks are seeing this happen (they sit a good 3" lower in the rear).
My trucks a 2WD, 04, HO, 6 speed, Dually, 4.10 LS and I've never experience any shudder in the 4,000 I've got on the clock.
Any 2 wheelers out there seen it??
Old 02-25-2004, 07:15 AM

I know, mine's an '02, but I get shudder in 1 and 2 when MT. never thought about taking it to the dealer . The shudder goes away when I put my winter weight in, which is only about 300 lbs. I just figgured the truck was set up to have a better drive-line angle when loaded, not mt. As the truck approches the overloads, looks to me like the angle at the rear pinion is reduced, which makes sense to me cause there is more strain on the u-joints when under heavy load, but sometimes I'm not much smarter than my wife so what do I know?

DuaneW