3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Just got back from a trip to florida, odd sound when shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from a trip to florida, odd sound when shutting down

its like a loud screech from the engine after its been driven at 70-80 mph for about 5 hours.

its every time its warmed up also, it doesnt do it when its cold :/

its not like ear damagingly loud, but it aint quiet either :/

I think it might need a new belt or something.

the thing only got 2600 miles on it total!! :/

also does anyone else notice the fairly rough shutdown of the engine? sorta shakes the entire truck when shutting down?

Couple this with the vibrations from 71 mph-76 mph and well it aint very cool.

sigh going to dodge dealer some time on monday:/

Edited by Admin
Old 06-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The shutoff chirp is very common and the shaking at shutdown is just the nature of the beast. When you shut off the fuel, the high compression of a diesel makes the engine stop RIGHT NOW, but the accessories want to keep going. The tensioner is designed to hold tight with the engine driving the accessories, but when the accessories try to drive the engine at shutdown the belt slips and you get a little chirp. Nothing to worry about on either point, just get in the habit of shutting down with the doors closed or you'll wear out the hinges from the shaking. Got no clue on the high speed vibration, though, sorry.

Edited to add- The shutdown shaking is caused by the 250 pounds of crank, rods, balancer, and flywheel stopping instantly, it's kind of the reverse of how the truck twists when you rev it in neutral.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:19 PM

Some of them do it all of the time.
All of them do it some of the time.
nothing to worry about.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:22 PM

Mine has done the same screech since new. Engine seems to stop real fast, very tight motor and think it's the belt making the noise. I have not been concerned about it. Have only 4,000 miles on it.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:31 PM

yea, the sound just seemed "new" to me, i hadnt noticed it at all when i test drove the beast

alright well that soothes my mind thanks guys,
Old 06-19-2004, 08:34 PM

It says this is to be expected. Look in the owners manual or some of the paperwork supplied with it...it says a loud chirp is common upon shutting off the engine. Mine does it.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine does, but not consistant. I expect to hear it, but when I don't, kind of "Oh well, next time".
Old 06-21-2004, 09:29 AM

As a side note regarding the chirp and shudder. You guys should make an effort to remember to keep your doors closed until the engine is off. The shudder wreaks havoc on the door hinges.

edit: I just noticed it was mentioned previously
Old 06-21-2004, 11:36 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the chirp stopped when the 2nd Gen trucks got updated to the new and improved version....the 3rd Gen?? My truck has never chirped...although it does give quite a shake when you shut it down.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The chirps usually occurs with the auto equipped trucks due to the lighter flywheel.

MikeyB
Old 06-22-2004, 09:16 AM

My truck chirps, most of the times. sometimes louder than others........i love the look i get when i shut it down neer other folks, between the chirp, and the shaking
Old 06-22-2004, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine dosen't chirp, but every time I shut it down and it shakes I think of the Jeep commercial where the Grand Cherokee shakes the mud off.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yep, just like a wet dog.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:29 PM

Yes the CHIRP is normal and worse during the summer because most people use the A/C. It's the fan belt being stopped RIGHT NOW when engine is shut down. As stated, it's in the manual and NORMAL.
The studder step is also nature of the beast, when you remove the fuel from chambers then they don't (hopefully) have anything in there to combust thus causeing the studder(shake) at shutdown. SWEET isn't it
Thendone at speed could be several things, tires need rebalancing, engine or tranny or dirve shaft or rearend or exhaust or who the heck knows harmonic
Have the dealr check it out and get it documented. Also do a mental check and see if it changes with different fuel use
Old 06-25-2004, 09:18 PM

i dropped the truck off at the dealer the other day, i found out that my driver side mirror was cracked where it looked like someone hit it with a blunt small object with very much force, made the plastic smooth and indented it :/

then i had them fix the vibration thing, they said it could either be someone on the front of the truck or the drive train, they said on mine it was the drivetrain and replaced it. wooohoo... its gone i can do 75 and not feel it anymore. woohoo.

Also im beginning to love the shaking of the truck when it shuts down, it makes children fearful

Quick Reply: Just got back from a trip to florida, odd sound when shutting down