3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

just bought winter cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea I just put mine on last week. I notice that I have to leave the top one open all the time at our current temp range about 10-45 degrees. It doesn't matter towing or not so I just leave it open on the top one only. I will see what happens.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:59 AM

I have mine on all four flaps open, temp is -10 to 0 C. I closed all four when it hit -20 C (-4F). When all four were closed all my work was in the city, was not on the highway. Once I had top and bottom flap closed, on the highway it ran one needle widths hotter on the gauge and it was -10 C. It is an expensive piece of vinyl but I do like it.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by doorguy
I have mine on all four flaps open, temp is -10 to 0 C. I closed all four when it hit -20 C (-4F). When all four were closed all my work was in the city, was not on the highway. Once I had top and bottom flap closed, on the highway it ran one needle widths hotter on the gauge and it was -10 C. It is an expensive piece of vinyl but I do like it.
Doorguy, did you get your's from a dealer or order from elsewhere? Do you know the Canadian part number?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:00 PM

I got mine from the dealer. I gave him mopar #82208646
Old 11-22-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by doorguy
I got mine from the dealer. I gave him mopar #82208646
Thanks for the info. What did it cost?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:21 PM

I put my cover on a couple of weeks ago. So far, I have only run with one of the flaps open, and I think it is the one on the far right when facing forward in the direction of travel.

My problem for the past two winters has been not getting the engine coolant up to normal operating temps during the first run of the day, and having minimal cab heat at the same time. I chose to open only this one flap after looking in the service manual.

If I recall correctly, the manual shows the coolant path going from left to right in the radiator. So "theoretically" once the truck warms up enough to circulate coolant thru the radiator, the warm fluid will have to pass across the entire radiator until it gets to the open flap for some heat exchange just before it heads back into the engine.

I drove around like this on a 65* day in some city traffic. The coolant temps were just about 10* warmer than without the winter front on. Usually I see about 190 or so, under these conditions I was seeing around 200*. When I had to stop for a few minutes, I also noticed the roar of the cooling fan a few times when I started moving again. Not as much noise as it makes on a hot summer day when the A/C is on, but just enough sound up to about 15mph to remind me to open another flap or two if it got any warmer out or if I was going to haul some weight around.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:59 AM

I just picked up mine today, I got the whole kit with the battery blankets as well. They would not sell just the cover, but with my brother's discount I got it at cost. I know its probably overkill with the battery blankets in PA, but oh well, we'll see if it helps or not.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:13 AM

I purchased just the winter front for mine.... Maybe your dealership didn't have any of them.. just the whole kit?? I paid $100.00 even for mine.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:39 AM

So, what does the owners manual say? I can't find anything in my '03 manual on the subject. The instructions with the winter cover say to consult your owners manual - not much help in my case.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:24 PM

I paid 129 for mine with a discount including the battery blankets. I haven't decided if I will use them or sell them. It comes with a new block heater cord and two extensions off of it to attach the blankets. The winter front is awesome and instaled easy. But right now it is frozen as a birck since it snowed here, got warm and wet and snowed more and is 16 degrees.

Quick Reply: just bought winter cover