3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Interesting Vibration Observation

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Vibration Observation

Had the 70 mph vibration pop up on me today. Not the death wobble but a hum / buzz right around 70 mph. I drove 60 miles on Tuesday and it did not do it but today on the highway I noticed a pronounced wha..wha..wha.. etc. right around 70 and would increase if I got on it.

Started the search and found posts on u joints, driveshafts / aluminum driveshafts etc. Got me worried so I checked all the u joints and they seemed pretty good. Checked them with a pry bar and seemed tight. Found one post on lubing the slip yoke so I did that but got the driveshaft 45* off when I bolted it back up (one piece steel / SWB).

Took it for a drive and it was worse / buzzed worse more vibration but still around 70 mph. Brought it home and was going to pull the front driveshaft but I swear I am going to strip the torx screws, may have already stripped one.

Turned the rear driveshaft another 45* so I am either dead on where I was or 180* out. Truck feels better but it does have a vibration now at 75, decreases and than builds again around 100. Weird. I'll live with it until I find the real source, but thought I would post my findings. The slip yoke was dry as a bone, no grease at all, but I did have some ATF run out the tail shaft, seemed odd it was so dry. Truck has right at 43k on it.

The free spins hubs would be nice, maybe a AL rear shaft, we'll see. Now back to the ramcharger. If you alternator fails check the rectifier, mine was toasted.

Cheers,
Old 04-18-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its Backk

Drove the 04 yesterday to pick up my new rectifier and the vibe was back. I could feel it around 55 but as others have said at 70 its like you flipped a switch. I think I put the truck on 4 jack stands and and see what I can find with the the drivetrain in motion. I am getting a new noise that wasn't present before so I may have a shot U joint.

Good news is that compared to the driveshaft vibe I have in the ramcharger the 04 feels smooth!!! I need to lower and probably modify the rear shaft on the charger with a CV as my DS at the transfer-case is 15*, a bit too much for a standard U joint.

Does feel nice to drive the 12v again and to push down on the go pedal and actually move, darn slush box.

Cheers,