3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intake baffles

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake baffles

Is there any harm done by removing all that plastic just in the tube from the air cleaner to the turbo. I have already removed the silencer ring but really want to hear that turbo whine
Old 02-19-2007, 01:32 PM

If you really want to hear the turbo whine, replace the whole intake with something like the K&N FIPK Intake, comes with new filter, box, and intake tube-to turbo. I had a regular drop in K&N filter and Silencer ring MIA and noticed the difference a little but once I replaced the whole intake it sounded like a jet! I also have a straight exhaust, not sure if it makes a difference though.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:44 PM

I removed my baffles and ring at the same time so I couldnt tell you if it makes a difference, but no harm in doing it. Just leave the scoops in the lower elbow, and seal the lid back on the baffle container.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
On the baffle tube there is a ridge where you can separate the end from the tube, gently pry/twist with a decent sized flat blade screw driver, you'll hear it cracking (Don't worry) just work your way around it, once you get it off you can tap out the whole internal assy, then glue the top back on.

Some use epoxy, some use super glue, I used a super glue that doesn't dry right away it stays tacky for a while, can't recall the name brand, sorry.

I noticed a minor difference, I'm sure that is related to having the factory air filter still.

P.S. Mark across the tube and elbows with chalk so you remember where they line up, makes it a little easier to reassemble in the correct position.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 PM

is there any harm in removing the scoop in the lower elbow
Old 02-19-2007, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TxnBorn88
white plastic piece in the rubber turbo elbow= Turbo air guide (TAG)...I left mine in
Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by TxnBorn88
if the stock elbow is being used, i would leave it in. it was probably designed for the sole purpose to work in conjunction with the baffled intake tube.

my plans are to install something that has the same diameter(or close) from the airbox to the turbo and eliminate all the size change

i gutted the baffled intake tube(short term mod)
Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM

I didn't remove the baffles, but took the silencer ring off last week.
Raced my buddy with an identicle truck and noticed much more turbo lag off the line than I normally had.
Going to put it back on and see if it improves.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM

ordered the "cool blue" tube but in black. should be here in a couple of days.
waiting on my gauges and step bars to arrive as well. next mod...smarty jr.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM

My 03 doesn't have anything in the lower elbow. What year did they add scoops? Are you guys talking about turning vanes in the elbow? That's what we call them in airduct elbows. Will the elbow with the vanes fit the 03? I think you should trade with me if you want one without them!! I've also heard they improved the baffle - the plastic piece between the two elbows. What year did they do that and what did they change? I'd be interested in one of those, too. I may have to check the ads for take-offs. Please PM me if you have that stuff. Craig
Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 AM

My 05 had the vanes in the lower elbow. I removed it but after reading on other forums how they are important to intake and exhaust on all turbo'd motors I will reinstall when I get a chance.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:30 PM

Talking

Iv'e always removed the veins and anything else that might restrict air flow. Only thing i have found is you will have a little more turbo noise and it may wind down a little slower but you will improve power a little, as well as fuel milage improvement. My policy for a diesel is , Keep the air moveing as freely as possable.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I removed my baffles with a sawzall with a 12" blade so that I would not have to rip it apart. It worked great.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:05 PM

The turning vanes will help airflow if they are built right. Vanes in a square duct elbow cut the resistance in half. A square elbow w/o vanes is equal to 30' of straight duct and the same elbow w/vanes is equal to 15'. Does anyone know what year they changed the baffles and what they did? I really want to keep them for the quiet even if they restrict a little. Craig
Old 08-02-2008, 10:07 AM

Does anybody have a pt. # off the lower elbow with the vanes - it might be molded in the rubber? Craig

Quick Reply: Intake baffles