3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Installing additional fuel filters, GDP w/ Cat 2 Micron, and a Fuel/Water Sep....

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks like a nice set up and something I would like to do. The problem is I purchsed a 150,000 mile extended bumper to bumper warrant and dont want any mods to the truck void that warranty. What sucks is that if there is a problem they will probably attribute it to bad fuel like it seems they are saying a lot these days. My question is the star looking thing on the bottom of the water/fuel seperator. Is that a drain that you open periodically to remove water like the factory seperator?
Old 11-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes its a drain. You may talk with your local dealership about additional filters. If they don't cover fuel system damage to bad fuel whats it going to hurt? I mean the filters will prevent damage, so there should be nothing to pay for.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:08 PM

Yes I think I will. I emailed someone (chrysler I think) about installing gauges to keep an eye on whats going on and the response was "some mods may not void your warranty". Then I did not get any responses back. Kind of fishy if you ask me. The ploblem is that I feel they just won't honor their word when it hurts them financially. The dealers are pretty shady also. I don't feel they will honor their word either plus the employee turn around works against us. I would love to see something in writing from a dealship owner or corporate giving me permission for gauges or upgraded filtration but I just don't see that happening.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
By law they have to show that the modification caused the failure.

Just because you put tricked out pink seat belts in the truck doesn't mean they can void the warranty on your turbo....

If you drilled a temp probe in the exhaust manifold and they could prove the turbo had metal shavings in it that matched the iron the manifold is made of, then they have a good case.

Get the idea? Mods do not void warranties unless they cause the failure. The real problem with mods is if the dealership turns you away, you have to fight them. It ends up being you that has to prove you're right.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good post AH64ID. One thing is for sure, wont question you on filtration
Old 10-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AH64ID
I am up to just over 27,428 miles on these filters (That's 757 hours, and 1416 Gallons burned, an estimated 26K-39K gallons pumped thru them). I have only noticed about a .5psi drop at WOT from when the gauge was installed with 8K miles on the filters. I will be changing the filters out at 30K miles.
Great minds do think alike. I have the Cat filter after the original and I ran it 40,000 kms or about 25000 miles. I have the Glacier Walboro 392 transfer pump with the relief set at 18psi and at that milage I had lost less that 2psi. although my autometer guage (electric) is a bit like using a calender for a stop watch. I also have an auxilery tank with a cat 10 micron filter and water seperator and a strainer before the Walboro transfer pump . In the 40,000 kms I used 1871 US. gallons of fuel and it took 641hours. Most of this was towing. I mounted my 1R750 behind the air horn over the original filter and it is not as handy as yours but my truck is an 03 and the throttle position sensor is in front of the air horn. When I change the filter I cut it open and it is a very high quality filter. It looked very clean but when I changed it my fuel pressure went back to 18psi. I should mention that at this time I also changed the original Fleetguard filter as well. We were heading to the USA and this was in Feb.and it was about -24 below 0 and I had some reservations about a 2micron filter with cold fuel but with my winter front partly closed and towing heavy I did not have any problem.
Jim O
Old 10-09-2010, 01:44 AM

Next summer when I'm home on vacation I'd love to pick your brain about this install, and how I can put this kit on both my trucks. My biggest fear is contaminated fuel, especially with my new truck.

Surprisingly, I live in Kuna as well, right off of Linder and Hubbard.

Kris
Old 10-09-2010, 10:02 AM

Your trucks aren't black and blue are they? With a large RV in the yard?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Your trucks aren't black and blue are they? With a large RV in the yard?

Yeah that's them. The blue one has the Nathan K3LA on it.

Kris
Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 AM

AH64ID,

Are you still on the stock lift pump (thought I had read somewhere that you were running a raptor 100)? If so, is it in-tank on the 2005s?

I really like what you've done and would like to copy it as best I can... any chance you or your fabrication shop still have the template for your water separator bracket?

This looks like a much better solution for what I'm after. I have a Smarty Jr., but have backed off to running on the economy setting. Driving it like I paid for it now : )
Old 11-03-2010, 11:25 AM

Yes I am still on the stock LP, which is in tank.

I gave the template to GDP, ask Richard if he can make you one.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 AM

Actually, scratch my question about the bracket... may not be the same for our trucks and I can probably fab my own up.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 AM

I would think the front seats are the same.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!!

Guess I should read more carefully, thought you wrote back seat, not back of front.

I feel great knowing that I finally feel like I have a direction picked out. For close to stock hp, I felt like an AD or FASS was overkill. Will be giving Richard a call in the next few weeks. Guess I should get a fuel pressure gauge to replace my BD idiot light too.

At 38,500 miles, having run the fleet guard 7 micron filters (changed every 5k), do you think I can still save my injectors? I do plan to switch to the Balwdin after all the reading I've done.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Your probably fine, but its hard to say.

Quick Reply: Installing additional fuel filters, GDP w/ Cat 2 Micron, and a Fuel/Water Sep....