3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injectors and Bully Dog Power Pup

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injectors and Bully Dog Power Pup

Is anybody on here running a bully dog power pup and experiencing any injector problems ie. cracked injector body? My dads 05 seems to have injector problems whenever playing with it on extreme for a while. just wondering if anyone else whos running a bully dog has this problem. Also what could we do to prevent this from happening? or is it just a problem with the bully dog?
Old 01-13-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard of anything that was directly related to the injectors. They do raise pressure a little on extreme, so that may reveal a problem that was already there.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Banned

"Also what could we do to prevent this from happening?"

Don't use a box that adjusts pressure ! The maximum pressure of the system is fine. Only adjust injection duration.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:02 PM

How high does the power pup/triple dog go on pressure?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:10 PM

hmmm... im not sure how high the pressure i'll have to check when i take it out for a drive later. So your saying bully dog is bad cuz its a comp that raises pressure? when it comps to the electronics i really know nothing so what is an ideal box for the 05's? one that will provide good power but not raise the pressure beyond the limit it can take?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Banned

The other way to prevent this is to pull your rail over pressure valve apart and grind a bit off the spring so it releases at a lower pressure. You probably won't be happy with you your engine runs though. You'll be trying to make power and the valve will be dumping fuel into the return line. But your injectors will live.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:22 PM

thats doesn't sound like fun... why isn't anyone else having this problem?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

Other people's rail relief valve may be stronger. Can you run a scan tool on it and see what sort of pressure is getting developed ?

Maybe your rail pressure sensor is reading lower than what the actual pressure is. What does BullyDog say ?
Old 01-13-2006, 09:27 PM

If there was a problem with the actually rail sensor would it not send a code? I haven't been able to see what pressure it is under WOT with it on 100% but the highest number i have seen is probably just under 25,000 psi.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:56 PM

27000 is the highest the sensor will read. I think 25000 is possible with a stock vehicle though.

Also, you said he had "Injector Problems". What were the symptoms?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Banned

05 shop manual says 1600 bar = 23206 psi is max pressure. Page 14-100 and elsewhere.

"If there was a problem with the actually rail sensor would it not send a code? "

The box/software might be fooling the ECM.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:50 PM

well i know for a fact that it goes over 23206psi i thought it would even go over that stock.... The symptoms are really just a rattly sound usually just when deacclerating and at certain rpm's when accelerating. The only other symptom other then that is if its a cracked body the crankcase will get flouded with diesel (has happened twice) and thats about it i think. Its happened 3 times total and two times it filled the crankcase the other time was caught before it flooded it just by the sound.

EDIT: I just read this
"I looked at the ez at first due to ease of insall and price if I were to buy used. decied agianst it mainly because it is a pressure only box. I wanted at least 60hp so that ment I would have to run it on its highest pressure setting all the time. It might have just got paranoid but you will read these posts bashing pressure only boxes and talking about cracked injectors. I plan on keeping the truck and just decied to do the timing duration route for power. Not going to pretend to be an expert on that topic. After reading and reading and reading I just felt like why buy a box that only uses one power parameter. not that adding a little presure is bad I just felt like adding only presure was a draw back."
My dads truck has the bully dog stacked with the edge ez I didn't mention it before because i didn't think it was important as its not a very big power added but i guess i was wrong. could this be the cuz of the problem?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Banned

I don't know much about boxes, sorry. Someone else can help you.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:54 AM

Well something unexpected happened tonight when I took it out for a drive. I turned the bully dog up to 100% and with the edge on level 3 which is the highest cuz it just has a little toggle switch to select the level and I got my g/f to watch to see what the highest fuel rail pressure and she said it went up to atleast 26,000psi. So we stopped at her firends house for a couple mins and I decide I wanna see if it changes if I turn the edge down to the lowest level so i get and pop the hood and flick the toggle to the lowest level. Later on we hop on the highway so i figure now might be a good time to try it out, i turn the bully dog up to 100% again and give it a bit and decide theres too many cars around and its not straight enough. So i figure i'll just turn it back down to 0% and try it out on a country road later. Well I turned it down to 0 and the next thing i know the check engine light comes on and i lose alot of power, its still running it just as no ***** and doesn't do much when i hit the throttle. So it slows down to 60mph and doesn't go any faster. I decided im just gonna limp it home cuz its only about 5 miles, well driving it home I notice the transmission(auto) doesn't seem to be shifting right either. I finally get her home and decide to check the codes with the bully dog and the code PO299 comes up anybody have a clue what it is? and what happened? sorry for the long speel.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:10 PM

same thing happened to me this weekend. i had two injectors go out and it filled the crankcase with diesel and started blowing oil and diesel out of the blow-by tube. scared the mess out of me. i was wondering if my pressures were getting too high with my xzt box. could the box have been my problem? or caused it?

Quick Reply: Injectors and Bully Dog Power Pup