3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injector Clatter Driving Me Nuts (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Clatter Driving Me Nuts (Help)

This is my first post, so hello to all.
I have had an injector clacking for over 9 months now. Over time it has gotten louder and louder and is to the point it is driving me nuts! With the windows down you can hear it echoing off of underpasses, cars, guardrails etc. I have been kidded by ford and chev diesel owners about the noise as it is a single cyl at half rpm noise.
I have had it in to the dealer 14 - 15 times over this time with every excuse from can't hear it, Can't do a kill test while driving, to it is supposed to sound like that, it's a diesel. All this time at the dealer is costing money as i'm taking off of work.
Is there a good dealer / tech in the north DFW Texas area that anyone knows of that has actualy replaced injectors before without all the red tape?
Any Suggestions? Cummins said there was probably a over fueling injector causing the noise.
Stock inj, the valves have been ran, inj cleaner & lube, heavy loaded and ran hard w/inj cleaner & lube made no differance etc.
please, any help is appreciated tremendously!
IC
Old 01-28-2006, 10:24 AM

I'll let you know later this week. I have had the same problem for over a year. I have about 94,000 on mine now. This will be the 5 time to a different dealership. The test they are doing on Monday is supposed to deffinently tell me if which one(s) is/are bad if any. I just hoping that they find something because its driving me nuts. I don't hear it at idle but I can hear it between 1700-2200 rpm especialy at light throttle.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:32 AM

Yes, at light throttle is the worst. Even under moderate loads its heard on mine.
What kind of test are they running? did they say?
IC
Old 01-28-2006, 10:38 AM

Early on one of the tech's did a kill test while we were driving but I did not bring the trailer that day to put it under a load and the result was I could hear it but he could not.
Since then the other tech's state you can not do a kill test while driving! Even after stating that it was done before they stick to there story!
IC
Old 01-28-2006, 10:54 AM

cjones42

Thank you for your reply. Please let us know what they find and what kind of test they ran.
Ty
IC
Old 01-28-2006, 11:08 AM

The only way to do a kill test while driving is to physicllay cap off each injector port on the fuel rail which is very time consuming.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:10 AM

This tech shut off the electric pulse to the injector one at a time with his hand held computer plugged in under the dash.
IC
Old 01-28-2006, 11:14 AM

Don' get me wrong, I'm not arguing! I know just enough to get my self in trouble! There was loss of power each time he shut one down what ever it was.
IC
Old 01-28-2006, 11:26 AM

I dont remeber being able to shut off injectors while driving but ive been out of that no money making career for about 7 months they may have since changed the capabilaties of the drb to allow it to shut them down while driving
Old 01-28-2006, 11:34 AM

Thanks Dodgetech77

Ty for the input!
No sooner than got the truck in the garage to ck the injector bolts torque than work called. oh well I will tackle that in the morn.
I will check the post when iI get back in.
Thanks again
IC
Old 01-28-2006, 04:41 PM

Have you tried dosing the fuel with stanadyn or seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil( MMO).
I've read other threads that say this has fixed this kind of problem...what do others think of this approach?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:10 PM

I can tell you that I had the same problem, before you opt with new injectors consider trying what I did. I ran Howes Meaner Cleaner (a whole bottle) then there injector additive. After the initial meaner cleaner it was a whole lot better but it took probably 6 months of injector additive (howes) to completely cure it.
Worked for me.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what you are going through. My '03 had the same thing going on and the dealer just jerked me around everytime I had it in there for the knock. It got to where in the last year, I actually got tired of driving it because it sounded so bad.

Was driving it two weeks ago and was so frustrated with it, I stopped at a dealership just to look at the '06's and by the end of the day, drove one home leaving them with my knocking POS.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injector knock is usually carboned injector tips. If you don't tow with it very much they will carbon up from lack of EGT's. A kill test on the injectors won't tell you anything, and, no they are not supposed to sound like that no matter what the tech says. If you aren't seeing a lot of white smoke and fuel in the oil it is probably not an injector.

Try this, mix up a batch of 2/3 PS 1/3 MMO with enough to dump 32 oz in the tank and fill the fuel filter. Run your tank low and find premium diesel and fill it up after adding the 32 ox of mix. Fill the fuel filter with the mix then start it up and run it for about 2 minutes then shut it off and let it set overnight. The next day go find the heaviest trailer you can and drive the snot out of it on the steepest hills you can find until the tank is empty.

If its carbon that should quiet it down nicely. If not maybe it will break something that CAN be fixed. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:16 PM

"no_6_oh_no Injector knock is usually carboned injector tips."

I totally agree with that conclusion. I had what I thought was a momentary stuck injector till I talked to a cummins mechanic. His advice was to once a week run it hot if not working the engine as I'm doing now. I dumped 32 oz of Fleetguard Asphaltene Conditioner (nasty stuff) and headed for the hills. Watched my pyro and made sure it got to at least 1200 on grades. That cured my problem! Howes and PS/mmo did nothing with regular use preventing carboned tips. I'm sure the key it high temps (working) and engine load.

Quick Reply: Injector Clatter Driving Me Nuts (Help)