3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

If you have Timbrens on the back of your truck I need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, 'bout to order a set. Can anyone verify that kit no. DR2500CA has 3600 lb springs (pn A00535-65Q30) and DR3500CA has 6000 lb springs (pn A00540-65Q30)? All other parts in the 2500 and 3500 kits are the same.

Edit: Never mind!

Just dug deeper into Timbren's site and answered my own question. For reference, the A535-65 springs in the 2500 kit are rated for 3000 lbs and the A540-65 springs in the 3500 kit are rated for 4300 lbs. You can also get a 6000 lb spring and a 1800 lb spring for the kit.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:05 PM

Hold up Pauly. What do you want to order? If you order the standard 2500 kit, you will get 6000# (3k each side). If you want the 3600# kit, you have to order that using the kit number + "Complete with A 00535-55". That tells them to switch the springs in the box.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:20 PM

I think I want the 6000# kit. My springs are so soft now I'm gonna need lots of help. I hooked up the trailer at lunch today and it nearly put the axle on the bumps, and that's with less than a 1000 lb tongue! I figure I'll have at least another 500 lbs in the bed most trips.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Sounds good. I hope your good on the clearance. When I put mine on with the spacers, the gap was less than half an inch so I had to pull them.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM

I checked clearances and all should be good, but I will have to omit the spacer. I just ordered from the place you recommended: $169 shipped! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned

Hey Pauly!

I've never really researched the Timbrens before. How are they going to effect the Thuren suspension you're running? Do they act like an inexpensive set of air bumps? Would you install them for towing, and remove when going offroad?

I've been starting to look at the air bumps that used to be on Defiant (Carli's) website, but they've disappeared for some reason. If I remember, they are pretty pricey though. Do the Timbren's effectively accomplish the same thing?

I'm really liking the Lorenz 2.25 kit, Thuren trackbar, DSS, etc, but I can bottom out pretty easy in the front. What are your thoughts on using a set of Timbrens in the front?

Thanks! --Eric
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by enafzige
Hey Pauly!

I've never really researched the Timbrens before. How are they going to effect the Thuren suspension you're running? Do they act like an inexpensive set of air bumps? Would you install them for towing, and remove when going offroad?

I've been starting to look at the air bumps that used to be on Defiant (Carli's) website, but they've disappeared for some reason. If I remember, they are pretty pricey though. Do the Timbren's effectively accomplish the same thing?

I'm really liking the Lorenz 2.25 kit, Thuren trackbar, DSS, etc, but I can bottom out pretty easy in the front. What are your thoughts on using a set of Timbrens in the front?

Thanks! --Eric

Eric,

The Timbrens will pretty much destroy the off road ride of my truck. They're way stiffer than air bumps and come into play way sooner. What I'm going to have to do is bolt them up while towing and remove them for off roading, at least for my next trip. It's going to be a bit of a hassle but I'm in a pinch and need something by next week (Glamis trip). I'm going to work on a quick disconnect type system and see if I can make the change over painless. If it turns out to be a bust I plan on picking up a set of Carli's long travel bags.

The air bumps still exist, it just that Defiant isn't carrying Carli parts any more. Check out the kits on Carli's site. You can buy direct from Carli or find a distributor closer to you. They're not cheap (about $800 I think) but they are trick!

I wouldn't recommend Timbrens for your front end. If you're bottoming consistently you probably need to revalve your shocks with a more aggressive profile. If it only bottoms on occasion over the big hits a set of Don's new bump stops (cheap) or a set of Carli's air bumps (expensive) may be the best solution.

Which springs did you get from Sean?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Banned

I've got the IR coils and the Dual Purpose leafs. The front end doesn't bottom out all the time, just when hitting hard.

I saw on Thuren's site, that he mentions a new 2.5" travel bumpstop. I think Sean has been working with Don on this, because he mentioned something about it last week when I ordered my front axle truss. I think Don has been doing a lot of work with the bumpstops (BASF? or something like that), and both he and Lorenz with sell them.

I've got Carli's long travel bags sitting in my office, and am putting together an air system for them at the same time, to provide in-cab control. This should have the rear taken care of. I've started looking into addressing the front, and seem to be leaning toward the new bumpstops. Sean said the air bumps work well, but are a little noisy for typical use...and seemed to think the new elastomer BASF bumps may work just as well or better.

I guess I've got enough to keep me busy until they come out anyway!

I did get the new XD Hoss's on with the 37" Toyo's and Thuren trackbar. I wish I could make it to Glamis, but it's quite a haul from Knoxville. Maybe someday...

--Eric
Old 02-26-2008, 07:00 PM

I've got the IR coils and the Dual Purpose leafs. The front end doesn't bottom out all the time, just when hitting hard.

Then I'd say give Don's bumps a shot. I bet that cures your bottoming issue.

I saw on Thuren's site, that he mentions a new 2.5" travel bumpstop. I think Sean has been working with Don on this, because he mentioned something about it last week when I ordered my front axle truss. I think Don has been doing a lot of work with the bumpstops (BASF? or something like that), and both he and Lorenz with sell them.

They're super tough and super squishy. Don welded a set on my truck a couple weeks ago. And based on their performance thus far I won't be buying air bumps.

I did get the new XD Hoss's on with the 37" Toyo's and Thuren trackbar. I wish I could make it to Glamis, but it's quite a haul from Knoxville. Maybe someday...

--Eric

I noticed. I saw some pics in another thread and it turned out awesome!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

They're super tough and super squishy. Don welded a set on my truck a couple weeks ago. And based on their performance thus far I won't be buying air bumps.
Awesome!!! That's what I wanted to here. Do you have any pics, or some more info? How long till there available on the website? Have you been able to bottom out since they were installed?

Are you concerned about trussing your front housing? What are your plans there?

--Eric
Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Eric,

The Timbrens will pretty much destroy the off road ride of my truck. They're way stiffer than air bumps and come into play way sooner. What I'm going to have to do is bolt them up while towing and remove them for off roading, at least for my next trip. It's going to be a bit of a hassle but I'm in a pinch and need something by next week (Glamis trip). I'm going to work on a quick disconnect type system and see if I can make the change over painless. If it turns out to be a bust I plan on picking up a set of Carli's long travel bags.

The air bumps still exist, it just that Defiant isn't carrying Carli parts any more. Check out the kits on Carli's site. You can buy direct from Carli or find a distributor closer to you. They're not cheap (about $800 I think) but they are trick!

I wouldn't recommend Timbrens for your front end. If you're bottoming consistently you probably need to revalve your shocks with a more aggressive profile. If it only bottoms on occasion over the big hits a set of Don's new bump stops (cheap) or a set of Carli's air bumps (expensive) may be the best solution.

I've had mine off 3 times (soon to be 4). It's not that bad if you have air tools. The one tool that would make it faster is an air box wrench for the back bolt. After you do it a couple of times, it takes only 10 minutes to take them off or put them on with the majority of the time gathering tools.

I was in the south dunes last weekend. It was great. If you're up to having more in your camp next time, let me know. It's been a while since I've been to Glamis.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Awesome!!! That's what I wanted to here. Do you have any pics, or some more info? How long till there available on the website? Have you been able to bottom out since they were installed?

Are you concerned about trussing your front housing? What are your plans there?

--Eric

It's been raining a lot here and I've been lazy so I don't have any more pics. It's dry today so I'll try to take some for you.

No other info to give. Give Don a call for that. He does have a few set out now, and nobody has expressed any concerns or complaints that I'm aware of.

Yeah, I've been on the bumps since the install and they work fantastic. They take the harshness out when bottoming. Because of this the chance of taco-ing my front housing is greater and is a real concern, so I definitely need to be careful. I may truss the front at some point, but its going to have to wait. They're not cheap!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2003Ram
I've had mine off 3 times (soon to be 4). It's not that bad if you have air tools. The one tool that would make it faster is an air box wrench for the back bolt. After you do it a couple of times, it takes only 10 minutes to take them off or put them on with the majority of the time gathering tools.

I was in the south dunes last weekend. It was great. If you're up to having more in your camp next time, let me know. It's been a while since I've been to Glamis.

You're always welcome! I think there's about 25 trucks coming this go around. Should be an awesome trip. If you can make it we're going to be camped at the washes (I think they're shooting for 5, 6 or 7) with people starting to arrive Thurs. night, March 6. If you find yourself headed that way give me a call (still have my number?). I'll be arriving Friday evening.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
You're always welcome! I think there's about 25 trucks coming this go around. Should be an awesome trip. If you can make it we're going to be camped at the washes (I think they're shooting for 5, 6 or 7) with people starting to arrive Thurs. night, March 6. If you find yourself headed that way give me a call (still have my number?). I'll be arriving Friday evening.

Thanks. I can't make this trip but let me know about the next. PM or something. I should have your #. Have to find it.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Banned

Yeah, I've been on the bumps since the install and they work fantastic. They take the harshness out when bottoming. Because of this the chance of taco-ing my front housing is greater and is a real concern, so I definitely need to be careful. I may truss the front at some point, but its going to have to wait. They're not cheap!
They aren't cheap, but they ARE cheaper than a new housing! I figured if I didn't do it now, I would be sorry sooner or later. I got one of the Dezert Freak (Bigley) axle trusses on the way, and hopefully can get it welded up in the next couple weeks.

If I'm thinking about things right, it seems like having your fancy bumpstops may help keep the housing from bending as easily. From what I understand, when the front hits hard, the sharp impact from the stock bumpstop is what pursuades the housing to bend. If your using a progressive, softer bump with some "travel" to it, it seems like it would eliminate the harsh bottoming-out thump that bends axles...at least in my simple way of looking at things!

Yeah, I'd appreciate some pics. Thanks! Eric

Quick Reply: If you have Timbrens on the back of your truck I need your help.