3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Idling a little rough...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idling a little rough...

Well, Im new to diesels (going on 2 years) but still dont know much. Anyways, my new 06 is idling just a bit lower than normal. Its idling around 700rpm. Its sorta rough though, it vibrates the truck more than normal. You can really feel the truck vibrating. If you give it a bit of gas to bring up the idle, it goes away. Should I be concerned?? Take it in?

I hate takin it in because they take all freakin day and Im without a vehicle. Any suggestions?

[edit]/// Forgot to add... 06 2500 auto. The cranking time has been a bit longer than when I first got it too. Probably takes a full 2 sec of cranking before it fires up. I know there was a long cranking tsb but I could have sworn it was for only manual trannies.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

My 2004 is doing the exact same thing and it beginning to Pi$$ me off because every one I take it to says there is nothing wrong, Dodge says drive it till it pukes and Cummins says it sounds normal.....Am I INSANE or has something changed with my motor....I'm thinking injectors or pump issue and I can't find a price on replacement injectors for my 04 I would even settle for aftermarket injectors. Some guy told me he thought that they were $700.00 each^&%$#^%$*^^(:
Old 04-20-2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by WSA308
My 2004 is doing the exact same thing and it beginning to Pi$$ me off because every one I take it to says there is nothing wrong, Dodge says drive it till it pukes and Cummins says it sounds normal.....Am I INSANE or has something changed with my motor....I'm thinking injectors or pump issue and I can't find a price on replacement injectors for my 04 I would even settle for aftermarket injectors. Some guy told me he thought that they were $700.00 each^&%$#^%$*^^(:
hmm... aftermarket injectors (for 6) are about $1000.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:58 PM

Both my dad's and my '06 HO's are doing the same thing. It is freekn' annoying.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:08 PM

My 05 does it once and a while
I thought maybe the juice
But it only does it once and a while
I cant seem to figure out how to reproduce for the dealer
I think it is computer related
If it were injectors it would or should do it all the time
Old 04-20-2006, 06:58 PM

I have 2600 miles on my 06 Mega Cab, and since day one, it has never idled the same. Some days it's smooth, some days it's rough. My 2000 powerstroke 7.3 idled better than my 06 CTD Mega Cab.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:22 AM

2004.5 and up cummins have a third injection pulse to further quiet the diesel noise and aid in supplying heat for the cat. When cummins first adopted the common rail high pressure bosch system in 2003 for North America it was two injection event. Prior to these model years no one complained or noticed! What happened? When you drive one of these new rigs normal and going for mileage, what happens is the injector tips begin to foul with carbon build up. This is due to the combustion temps being low ( saving fuel/commuter truck) around 600F and lower. You bought a very impressive high horsepower torque monster of a engine. Try to equate it to having a clydesdale or race horse getting no work or exercise. Anyway, with the high pressure commonrail bosch fuel injection system all it takes is a little carbon buildup on the nozzles to affect idle. I have held nozzles in my hand and with my old eyes couldn't see the holes on the tips, their that small. Try running a heavy dose of Howes Meaner Cleaner/ Power Service / Stanadynes / or Seafoam and head for some hills/grades if you don't have anything to tow. Towing a trailer or carrying a load is what these trucks were designed for.....period. The point is to get the exhaust temps ( need gauges ) up to 900-1200F to facilitate clearing the carbon from the tips and then you'll notice that just new quiet diesel you bought. I know I know it's a pain in the **** having to exercise your truck but not working a truely designed medium duty diesel baby cummins will result in noisy, clicking, rough idling. Remember that the HPCR can and will exceed 20,000 psi in the rail so always use good clean fuel and think about aftermarket options to supply the requirements.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
N.Johnson is right. These engines need to be worked and run hard. After a period of time of around town driving my engine will idle a little rougher and noisier. With plenty of Power Service Diesel Klean and some good hard runs on a country road or pulling a heavy trailer will clear it right up.

MikeyB
Old 04-21-2006, 07:33 AM

Seeing how I have pulled over 25,000 pounds with it once so far and then turned it in for the Jake Brake install so I haven't noticed or looked for the rough idle.

I'll check on this when I get my truck back. I have some hard pulls scheduled for next week.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:05 AM

i noticed mine had a little bit of a rough idle, almost a miss.....After towing this week, the miss is gone...Work that engine is all I can say
Old 04-21-2006, 11:17 AM

Question.

In working the engine. Would it be the same if you pulled a trailer or whatever up and down hills, on the highway or wherever as long as the EGT's get right up there compared to just running the snot out of it EMPTY but still getting the EGT's right up there around 1100* - 1300*?

I guess the only difference would be that towing would actually be putting a LOAD on the motor at a given temp, 1200*. Where as a an empty truck but doing brake locks, racing up hills, whatever but still getting 1200* on the pryo. Would that be the same to clean out the injectors?

I do not tow at all. Don't even know anyone with a trailer, wish I did. But I do see 1200* on a regular (at least once a day) basis while racing around. Granted, it might not be for such a long duration like if I had a trailer going up a steep grade.

Should this still be able to clean out the pipes...
Old 04-21-2006, 11:42 AM

thats weird...im have 5000 miles on my truck and had it about 3 weeks. About 1/2 of 4500 of that was towing a 1600lb car trailer and 1/2 with a car on it. Im pretty hard on the truck from day to day when Im not towing. I just need to get my TST and have some fun.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:25 PM

Unhappy my 2004

My 04 had a rough idle problem and a slight knock at times. I took it in and they had to replace 3 injectors. They gave it back and it would start missing real bad when driven. So i took it back to them again and they changed the pressure regulator by the pump and and the entire rail wiring harness. I have it back now and it still does not run real good, however every once in awhile it just wakes up and runs like a bat out of hell. To tell you the truth I don't like it as much as I liked my older dodges.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:39 PM

quick question... does anyones stock truck smoke on a hard acceleration? My 04.5 never did but my 06 seems to a bit.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:02 PM

My 04.5 has 35,000 miles and has the miss at idle. clears right up when I give it the go pedal. I dumped about a third of a gallon of power service in and after a tankful, it does sound better, but I still have the knock. I have never had a trailer on the back yet. Oh, and when I floor it, I get lots of black smoke.

Quick Reply: Idling a little rough...