3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Idle surge between shifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle surge between shifts

This past Saturday we had the warmest day since I picked up my truck in January. It was a balmy 57 degrees. The engine speed surge between shifts seems much worse than with the colder weather. It caught me off guard as I got off a freeway exit. I was not using the cruise control and also did it in stop and go traffic. Has anyone else noticed this syndrome with the return of warmer weather?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:13 AM

Re:Idle surge between shifts

Greetings,
Mine has done this after very hard acceleration in all gears in any temperature. I think the computer does not update quite fast enough to tell the engine what you want it to do. Its a concern if you are speed shifting to get out of the way of oncoming traffic.
Jeff
Old 03-10-2003, 12:32 PM

I have short shifted since I got the truck to keep it from doing the revving thing between gears. With the warmer temperature it is almost impossible to shift it soon enough to keep it from revving up between gears.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:01 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

Interesting. So Mark Chapple and I haven't been snorting too much diesel I find my surge is worst with outside air temps in the 20's. Drop down lower, and it goes away. Raise the temps and it feels as though it isn't quite as bad.<br><br>I've seen my tach shoot to 3600 RPM in between shifts sometimes...<br><br>Rod
Old 03-12-2003, 09:57 AM

I haven't had any engine surges, but then I drive my truck with moderation as I'm always towing a racecar trailer and don't want the tie-downs to break and have the car run out the rear door or the trailer. I don't speed-shift, nor do I use a heavy throttle foot -- for the above reasons. I have found that if I accelerate with a moderate throttle application, then stay in that gear until the engine stops accelerating, the shifts are smooth and the engine doesn't run away. Too old to learn about these new-fangled computers, but guess that my procedure must give all that modern stuff a chance to figure out what's happening.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:07 PM

Same as Bluedresser; no surges thus far, but I drive it like a diesel truck instead of a sports car. The only time I really get heavy on the throttle is going up through the gears with a load, but haven't done it with this one yet since I haven't got the hitch rails put in.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:09 PM

Jonesey,
What you may be experiencing is called Shift flair in the Ford (can I say that here ?) torqueshift trans . It seems to be a built in learning proccess . Go to www.thedieselstop.com
try the threads in the 6.0 forum dealing with shift flair .
Just don't Troll us I wouldn't do it here . I get as much info on this site as the Ford site . In fact I'd say Y'all don't Whine like some at the Ford place .
All the best , John
Old 03-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Banned

;D Thanks John;<br>I think we are talking about the RPM's hanging up on the standard trans trucks, not the autos.<br>Thanks for not trolling.<br>We don't whine about stuff 'cause we have not had the teething problems the 6.0 has experienced. So far the .03 CTD Rams have been good. Later<br><br>
Old 03-14-2003, 09:35 AM

I can make mine go either way. If i dont watch myself it will rev pretty good but if I am paying attention it wont jump any. If you let off the throttle just a little eariler it won't rev.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:30 PM

My current truck is an 01 2500 HO 6 sp. Never had a surge issue when shifting. A few weeks ago I was testing an 03 3500 HO 6 speed and found the surge between shifts really annoying. Made me feel like I didn't know how to shift these **** things. Tried a few more 6 speeds from different dealers..same thing. I've ordered my 3500 Dually HO 4.10 4x4 with 48RE now. Expect it in mid April. The surge isn't what made me go with the Auto..it's a wife thing!!! Better for her when backing up our fifth wheel. &gt; Really wish I could get the Jacobs brake though. Has anyone heard how DC is getting along with the approval??
Old 03-18-2003, 01:28 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Every time I accelerate hard and then shift gears the engine revs up. Thought I had forgotten how to drive a stick shift but found with experimenting that if I back off the throttle a tad before pushing in the clutch that the revving is not as bad, but it still revs. Thought it was just me but now I see that others are having the same problem. If I do not push the acceration there is no revving between shifts. The temps here are normally a cool 60ish in the mornings and about 85 by the end of the day.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:32 PM

Thanks for not trolling.<br>We don't whine about stuff 'cause we have not had the teething problems the 6.0 has experienced. So far the .03 CTD Rams have been good. Later<br><br><br>
<br>I guess it's safe to say us Ford guys don't read so good either As to Trolling ..... I've learned as much here about diesels as any where . As has been said &quot;never bite the hand that feeds you &quot; . <br>In reggards to the 6.0 teething problems .. My trans was DOA on the test drive . so they dropped in a new one . Ford wrote back later and said the trans was Good . No doubt in my mind it was a wiring connector .Other than that ,my passenger mirror light was inop {connector ) So at 3000 miles I'm very pleased with the truck . <br>My only gripe is that Iwish Ford would steal the Dodge truck stylist . You guys got one good looking machine ! John