3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I need help deciding here guys, let me hear what you've got to say!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular cabs are hard to find, and most will be STs or SLTs. If you can live with hauling just one passenger then the regular cab is fine. If you are buying used then I would think the hit you can expect to take on resale value on a regular cab would work in your favor. It is nice to have an eight foot bed and still fit in a regular parking space and home garage. You can still have a tool box in an eight foot bed and have room for motorcyles, etc. I bought my regular cab new, plan to keep it as a farm truck so I am not worried about resale value. There will be times that you wish you had a quad cab, and you can never tell for sure whether or not you need to sell something no matter what your plans are, but I like my regular cab and wouldn't trade it for a quad. And you won't see 100 trucks just like the one you are driving every day. Of course, you have to take our advice with a grain of salt, everybody knows that anyone who drive a regular cab truck is CRAZY!!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 PM

Ryan, just go to autotrader.com, click on find your car, then type in the zip 28031, and select dodge 2500 within 25 mile radius. Sorry the link is to long to post.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a regular cab and like it for most of the reason you mentioned. Most of the time I'm glad there is no rear seat to clean out.
But, here is my question to you.

If/when you two decide to start a family, do you realize it is tough with no back seat? It really gets cramped. I guess I'm just too old to try it anymore. Get the long bed and some carpet!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
I would suggest finding a 2nd gen quad cab long bed. Should be able to find a good one cheaper than 3rd gen. Have behind the front seat room without the four door loss. Simpler computer, better mileage, etc. I love my 3rd gen QC, but the 2nd gens still look very good to me.

WEll I have been looking at the 2nd Gens. I like that extended cab, long bed but all the ones i have looked at have 100K at least on the clock. How do the second Gen's do in the long run. 5spd vs 6spd.....so much to look at....haha..i did find some at about 11K$ and that is really nice...
Old 10-02-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RyanF
WEll I have been looking at the 2nd Gens. I like that extended cab, long bed but all the ones i have looked at have 100K at least on the clock. How do the second Gen's do in the long run. 5spd vs 6spd.....so much to look at....haha..i did find some at about 11K$ and that is really nice...
I own a 2nd Gen with the Quad Cab and 5 Speed.

First, I won't own a regular cab truck ever again. The extra storage space is a real benefit to me. PLUS, I never ever like the feeling of having a glass window right up against your head in a regular cabbed truck. Maybe just me, but I always cringed at the notion of being rearended and having your head whip back in to a GLASS window.

Second, I'll never own an Automatic behind a Cummins Turbo-Diesel. The "rush" you get from feeling the Turbo spool up coming out of a shift is ADDICTING!
PLUS, you DON'T get that "Big Rig" sound with an automatic!

BTW... You already know put my truck up For Sale yesterday.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...?product=21698