3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I need help deciding here guys, let me hear what you've got to say!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help deciding here guys, let me hear what you've got to say!!

Hey Everyone. So I need some Help deciding here. I had an '05 6.0L F-350. And Loved it. Now I have an '04 Ram 1500. 5.7 Quad cab. short bed. It's nice but annoying. I Have a back seat I never EVER use. I have a bed, that along with my tool box I cant fix a motorcycle in. And thanks to my weak suspension, my super awesome 20" rims and lots of extras. It has no Payload. I admit this probably wasn't the best truck for me. Since I beat them up. But Got a great deal. Well That had some electrical problems, dealer fixed by hacking my harness apart, which i am sure will lead to lots of other problems, but thats now why I am here. I am looking to get back into a 3/4 or 1 ton PU. But I want a truck truck, I don't need a back seat, I have no kids, just a wife, who when we do have kids will probably for the most part be in her car. I have a dog ( who sits on the front seat now even though i have a back seat. ) So I was thinking about this. a late model 5.9 I6. Standard cab, 4wd, 8ft bed. And as little options as i can find. I mean If i can find manual windows I will take them!!!. I would love to get a manual, just because I miss driving a manual and I always got better MPG's out of them. ( thats in another thread titled Manual vs Auto:help me choose) So What I want from you guys is opinions. What do you think of my plan to get rid of my half ton, and back into a bare boned cummins. Pit falls, problems, anything will help. Cause I am going to start looking...Thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good plan to me...
Old 09-22-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you will eventually regret the reg. cab. Besides not having room in it while you use it, it will be more difficult to sell later.

What if you have children? What if you want to take some friends out to dinner? What about your luggage if you are on a trip and it's raining? What about groceries?

I vote get a quad cab (not mega), 4x4, long bed. Buy used if you need to. I really don't think you will save that much trying to buy a stripped down model, imo. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:05 PM

Im with texas, i had a two door 1500 with me and my wife then two kids later. I first had an 02 2500, and now 06 3500, now i wish i got the mega cab... But to each his own. good luck..
Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 PM

at some point you will need to sell it, your resale will go into the tank. Get a quad cab you wont be sorry
Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 PM

"I had an '05 6.0L F-350. And Loved it." That's not something you hear often...

I can say that cause I used to have an '04 6.0!

IF you want a regular cab go for it, but the last two posts bring up some valid points. You will be very happy with the a 3/4 or 1 ton Dodge Cummins truck. I have the manual trans and it has been reliable, and one of the easiest manuals I have ever driven. You should be able to find a nice '06 or earlier 5.9 with a manual in a regular cab truck and the price should be right too, but if you ever plan on selling it, a stripped regular cab will not bring much either. Good luck in your quest, and post some pics when you get it.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM

Thanks guys, I do hear what you are saying. The quad cab long bed is nice but doesnt have the look I like. But I have the quad now, and although I have never sat anyone back there, I guess being able to would be nice. As for resale Im not to concerned because I do want to get one to run to death, but I might regret having no room behind me. I had the Extended cab long bed Ford and it was nice having that extra room. The reason I wanted it stripped down is less to break. I don't find it difficult to manually roll down my windows, but find it annoying at 100K when the window motor doesn't want to go up anymore...But all valid points. I love the way the std cab long bed looks, but i don't intend on getting a cap for the bed so the room might be really nice.

And PS i liked my 05 Ford, I didnt like the laundry list of issues with that 6.0 though.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well now it becomes your decision since you're torn. I like the reg cabs, would've got one if they were available. But I'm glad I got the quad it has come in handy at the weirdest times. A 5.9 reg cab will be easy to find bare, but it'll most likely be a former commercial or work truck. Take a good look at trucks you consider.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 PM

Two words...

MAN VAN...
Old 09-22-2008, 10:27 PM

As far as look I love the regular cab but I went quad cab anyway. My back seats spend 90% of the time folded up with the fold flat floors being used. I almost NEVER have backseat passengers but the extra room is great. I can keep all of hunting/fishing clothes and gear back there safe and dry,it's almost like having a trunk! In turn it leaves the bed wide open for hauling the bigger stuff. Whatever you decide,it's a buyers market right now so you can get alot of truck at a reasonable price. I really haven't seen many stripped down versions unless you go with a cab and chassis.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest finding a 2nd gen quad cab long bed. Should be able to find a good one cheaper than 3rd gen. Have behind the front seat room without the four door loss. Simpler computer, better mileage, etc. I love my 3rd gen QC, but the 2nd gens still look very good to me.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont think the resale will be worse on a reg cab. Have you looked at new trucks these days they are taking 15000 of the sticker just to get rid of them so the resale will be bad no matter what you get unless fuel goes down alot! I love reg cabs and there are alot of people out there that do, when i bought me 03 i looked long and hard for a reg cab 6speed. I found 0 reg cabs and only three 6speed trucks so i had to settle for the four door, it seems like everbody wants to sell their autos and hang on to the sticks or there just not making that many stick shift trucks anymore. So good luck with your search!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:14 PM

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I sold my extra cab Nissan Titan after having used the back seats for people maybe 12 times in 3 years. No kids, wife only, so I never used the back seats. I had previously had a pair of regular cab F-150's (2001, 2003). I decided on a regular cab 2500. I almost broke down and purchased a quad cab, but I held off. I looked for a month and had to go all the way to Colorado to get it, but I'm happy with the regular cab. I require a power seat to sit comfortably in most trucks, so I got an SLT with power windows/locks.

I've had it for 3 months now and have had no problem fitting groceries and cargo behind the seats, there is a ton of room back there compared to my old F-150's. I do plan on adding a shell at some point, but for now I have a retractable tonneau cover. Once I add the shell I will be able to camp in the truck, at 6'5" tall I couldn't sleep comfortably in a short box. The quad cab long bed would've been too long of a truck to drive in the city comfortably for me.

Buy the regular cab!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:44 PM

I'm not sure where you are located but I found a truck on autotrader.com that seems to be just what you are looking for a 2006 dodge 2500 CTD regular cab 4x4 6 speed, manual doors and locks 1 owner with complete service records. The truck is in North Carolina zip code 28031. Maybe check it out if its near your area....
Old 09-24-2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by 02dodge2500ctd
I'm not sure where you are located but I found a truck on autotrader.com that seems to be just what you are looking for a 2006 dodge 2500 CTD regular cab 4x4 6 speed, manual doors and locks 1 owner with complete service records. The truck is in North Carolina zip code 28031. Maybe check it out if its near your area....

I am trying to find that truck..do you happen to have a link?

Quick Reply: I need help deciding here guys, let me hear what you've got to say!!