3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I feel like a moron...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face I feel like a moron...

Ok, so I take my truck to the dealer today so that they can check out my "tranny indicator lamp" problem...turns out that the light I was seeing was the Engine/Emissions lamp (made sense for me to see that after installing my new exhaust I guess, just didn't know why it wouldn't go off when I reset the computer )...On all my previous vehicles, the lamp indicators were backwards to what they are on these newer trucks I guess because I remember the picture of what looked like the tranny actually BEING the tranny on my other cars and the words "Check Engine" coming one when there was something engine related, which is exactly the opposite on the CTD...ANYWAY, according to the dealer, the lamp will also come on to let you know you need to change your oil and since the truck is in it's breaking in phase, me "think" it needs an oil change sooner than it normally would because the oil is breaking down harder right now than after it's broken in...sound about right to you all? Because my light isn't on anymore and my truck is still running great...

Derek
Old 12-05-2006, 05:16 PM

there are no emissions/exhaust sensors on a 06, an new exhaust system wont set a check engine light, must be something else
Old 12-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueDually
there are no emissions/exhaust sensors on a 06, an new exhaust system wont set a check engine light, must be something else
I looked in the owner's manual and verified it...the lamp that I saw WAS the Engine/Emissions Lamp...the dealer said that it was on because it was time for an oil change...but I am waiting until 7500 to change it

Derek
Old 12-05-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cycling the ignition key ON/OFF/ON three times will display error codes on the odo/trip meter display.
I have never heard of having a CEL for oil changes. Dealer must be a

MikeyB
Old 12-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Cycling the ignition key ON/OFF/ON three times will display error codes on the odo/trip meter display.
I have never heard of having a CEL for oil changes. Dealer must be a

MikeyB
So what do you think the Engine/Emissions Lamp was on for a day and a half for, then just went off when I took it to them?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:55 PM

Was the CEL on when you took the truck in? And then off when you got it back? Most likely the technician cleared the error code with the DRB3 scan tool.

MikeyB
Old 12-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Was the CEL on when you took the truck in? And then off when you got it back? Most likely the technician cleared the error code with the DRB3 scan tool.

MikeyB
No, it had been on for the day and a half straight, then when I got in my truck leaving work to take it to the dealer, it wasn't illuminated anymore...how ironic is that. When I got there, I had described to them what had been going on and that is what they told me. My buddy with an 04.5 told me that he thinks it was on because my computer was trying to re-calibrate itself to the new exhaust and it's different performance characteristics as compared to the OEM exhaust...

Derek
Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 PM

The computer doesnt know anything about your exhaust. I am sure you threw a code and it took a while to clear .( that is what most of them do) It should have been stored in the computers memory. The dealer could have told you what code it was.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:48 PM

Sounds like a soft error and not a failure. The ECM detected a problem with a sensor or signal and it was a momentary event. If the ECM doesn't detect the error again after so many restarts it will clear the code from memory.

MikeyB
Old 12-05-2006, 08:05 PM

The light on my truck is on right now. This is the 2nd time it happened it went out on its own last time. The dealer said it was ok,not to worry about it. I researched it myself. found TSB-005-06Rev-B needed to be done. Going to be reflashed Thursday. No Problem. Those lights often reset on their own as was stated above.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you disconnect the IAT sensor on the intake?? when you did your exhaust?? did you for get to plug it back in before you started the truck?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:28 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No such thing as the truck telling you it needs an oil change, your dealer should be ashamed of their lack of general knowledge about their own product.

Something is up, I would imagine it's something simple, but it would be nice to know exactly what it is.
Not to be a jerk, but your buddy is a little confused too.