3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How much longer is mega cab than a Quad

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much longer is mega cab than a Quad

How much room do you gain in the back seat?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 AM

alot.

The quad cab long box is the same frame as a mega with a 6' 2" bed, so I'd say you gain 2' 10".
Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
How much room do you gain in the back seat?
Yes, ALOT! You need to test drive one to appreciate the amount of room you gain in a manvan. I am a manvan lover and one day I will own one for good(I did have a 6.7L manvan for a very short period, brainfart).
Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 AM

20" in cab length to be exact. The seats are bigger so you don't get all of that in leg room, but I wouild say about 15" of leg room. My mega is way bigger than the Quad Cab I had before it.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big enough in the back seat that my 6'2" son does not fight with his little brother for the front when the little one calls shotgun. TONS of room.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Big enough in the back seat that my 6'2" son does not fight with his little brother for the front when the little one calls shotgun. TONS of room.
That's the real world stuff that matters right there....
Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 AM

I think you have more room in the back seat than the front seat
Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 AM

you do.. i will keep my mega for life. parking is not really an issue, i have never ran into any problems.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 AM

it's like first class on a airplane back there.......
Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM

Smile

But no 8' bed option. I think they could sell a lot of those!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:28 PM
HOV

The Megacab is the most spacious production pickup truck ever made.

As for a MC long bed, that may be okay for people who live under the open skies, but for anyone who drives in the city, you'd never fit that beast in a parallel parking space or a parking garage.

Just last weekend I had to leave a parking garage because I couldn't fit in there.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 PM

I put mine in the parking garage at the airport all the time. . it is close and I try to back in when ever I can. It's a lot easier to find parking than my DRW I had before.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 PM

I was all set to get a quad cab...

Brought by two friends in town to the test drive... they were disgusted by the lack of room in the back... one has F250 Crew the other F150 Crew...

then we test drove the Mega and they were overwhelmingly impressed... they threatened our friendship if I even thought about the quad cab any longer...

I don't even have kids... but when I need that rear room its awesome... seats fold down and you have as much room as SUVs...

probably costs about 1mpg in weight...

and what? $3-4k? in price...

if Dodge would have designed the quadcab like the F150 or Silverado size from the get go the Mega would never exist... but then you wouldn't have as much space... so quad cab is necessary evil?

you decide!

if you have to ask get the mega, everyone of my friends that have a quad cab, wish they had the mega cab choice when they bought years ago...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:43 PM

I read someplace the mega cab will be droped for 09
Old 11-29-2007, 06:10 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is from the Allpar website with the lasted skinny on the 09 Dodge Ram.

Quote:

From someone who saw it in person: “In Sport and Laramie trim levels, it even has a stitched dash that you'd swear is leather! Think new Super Duty in terms of style and sophistication. It has a coil sprung rear axle for a better ride with the same payload capacity. 375 hp from the new 5.7 Hemi, with better mileage. No more Mega Cab; traditional, quad, and four-door crew cab now. Crew cab has a 5 foot 3 inch bed, built into the sides and accessed from outside the bed are two locking, waterproof, hinged access doors to 8 cubic feet of storage on each side of the bed. The look is evolutionary; same grill, but canted inwards toward the bottom like the Charger. The hood bows down towards the headlights more now, so it’s more sleek but still has the unmistakeable Ram-ness to it.”

These are not the mules previously caught with the new front clip attached to the current truck - these are actual pre production prototypes! That brings up Will Watson’s statement: “I noticed no one is talking about the Mega Cab becoming a Crew Cab (losing some of the cab's length), and no one has noticed the drop fender is still there, even though earlier reports said it was gone.”

At a recent industry conference in Traverse City, Michigan, Frank Klegon, Chrysler's executive vice president of product development, reiterated earlier statements that Chrysler is focused on producing advanced engines for all its vehicles, including the Ram. Mr. Klegon highlighted, "A significantly upgraded version of the renowned 5.7-liter HEMI V8 with gains in fuel efficiency, refinement, horsepower and torque, will debut in the 2009 model year." Allpar has considerable information on this development in its Hemi page.

Chrysler will also offer a new, more fuel-efficient version of the E85 flex-fuel 4.7-liter base V8 engine, shared with the Dodge Dakota midsize pickup and featuring a 30 percent increase in horsepower and a 10 percent increase in torque over the old 4.7-liter V8. Our details on that are on Allpar's 4.7 liter page.

Other gas engine possibilities include an all-new 'Phoenix' V6, with MDS cylinder shut-off to save fuel, by 2010.

We're still expecting a new Cummins V8 light duty diesel soon after launch, but there are also whispers of a V6 oil burner too, since Cummins will be building one. (The next photo is the mule.)

What we know (we think for certain): the Ram 1500 will finally get a new, smaller Cummins turbodiesel, built to the same high standards as past engines; and the 2500 and 3500 will have a cleaner engine using technology Mercedes bought a while back. A hybrid powertrain, using the GM-BMW-DCX system, is certain as well; it will provide a small additional gas mileage boost. Chrysler has told us that the Hemi engine will be revised so it gets better gas mileage and more power, with better driveability; it’s quite possible that they’ve finally added variable valve timing (through variable cam timing, which oh20 says is now the case), and are going to try to make it more powerful than the same-size Toyota engine, which makes 381 horsepower. What’s more, what might be the world’s best mass-produced transmission may well show up in the Ram around 2009 - a manual transmission with automatic shifting and dual clutches. We don’t know if that’s going to appear first in the Ram, but the timing is about right. (It should also go into minivans - there are two versions being engineered.)

According to Automotive News, the Ram 1500’s V8 Cummins turbodiesel (that's not a misprint, it’s a new engine) will have about 260-300 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque, with gas mileage is likely to be about 20 mpg city, 25 highway (compared with the Hemi's 13/17). Acceleration is about 1 second longer 0-60 (9.6 seconds rather than 8.6 seconds) and is good even by car standards. (Remember, that's mileage similar to the Sebring). The engine itself will use the Bluetec technology acquired by Daimler-Benz to pass 50-state emissions rules.

When it goes on sale late next summer, there should be four revised engine choices. The base 215-hp / 235 lb-ft 3.7-liter V6 will be replaced with the 260 hp / 265 lb-ft 4.0-liter V6 used in the Dodge Nitro. The Ram's 4.7-liter V8 will get the same makeover as in the Dodge Dakota, boosting power to 300 hp/ 330 lb-ft, and the 5.7-liter HEMI V8 will get a bump in power.

Quick Reply: How much longer is mega cab than a Quad