3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How to keep rear axle from leaking after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to keep rear axle from leaking after oil change

The last time i changed the differential fluid on my 01, the seal wasn't good enough and there was oil weeping at the bottom.
I have some Amsoil and would like to change it but am worried this too will leak.
The last time I used blue Permatex and ran a bead around the bolt holes then another bead 1/8" lower. I read to let it dry for 30 minutes, then assemble the cover. Maybe that's where I went wrong. Maybe I should have assembled it wet?
How do you guys do it?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

When I had my '99 and changed out the diffs I used the blue permatex also. I didn't run beads of it though. Well, I did run beads, but I smoothed them out with my finger all the way around. I then let it set and put the covers back on. I also cleaned/scraped off the metal surfaces on the diff and cover and then acetoned where the permatex would be. No leaks for me!!! Hope this helps!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:37 AM

The way I did it, was I let the sealant set for about ten minutes, then installed it. I also scrubbed the surfaces and cleaned them with a solvent. No Leaky here either.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't use anything on mine. The AAM axles on the 3rd gens have a reusable rubber gasket.

MikeyB
Old 08-14-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by jon05ctd
The last time i changed the differential fluid on my 01, the seal wasn't good enough and there was oil weeping at the bottom.
I have some Amsoil and would like to change it but am worried this too will leak.
The last time I used blue Permatex and ran a bead around the bolt holes then another bead 1/8" lower. I read to let it dry for 30 minutes, then assemble the cover. Maybe that's where I went wrong. Maybe I should have assembled it wet?
How do you guys do it?
The new truck is different then the old one you DO NOT replace the gasket or use anything with it, its steel/rubber and just clean then reuse it.
J
Old 08-14-2006, 12:48 PM

Thanks!
Just like the tranny oil pan gasket..reusable!!
Old 08-14-2006, 02:17 PM

Smile

Just so I am straight on this (because I will be going synthetic soon):

To change the rear diff. fluid; you remove the cover, let the fluid drain out, clean and reinstall the gasket, reinstall the cover, add new fluid, and then walk away happy.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Donut Gestapo
Just so I am straight on this (because I will be going synthetic soon):

To change the rear diff. fluid; you remove the cover, let the fluid drain out, clean and reinstall the gasket, reinstall the cover, add new fluid, and then walk away happy.

You got it!

I like to spray around in the diff with brake cleaner which will evaporate real quickly. And, for bling....you could add a Mag Hytec rear diff cover with an O-ring to seal and get rid of the stock pan and rubber gasket.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:17 AM

Smile

Thanks, TexasCTD. Now, how to get the chrome cover past the boss...
Old 08-15-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Do be careful about the cover bolts, though. They seem to be quite brittle, and there were a few threads about them breaking off.

I did my first change with no problems, using a torque wrench to make sure not to get them overtightened, and since everything went fine I figured I would never have a problem.

The second time I changed, though, one of the bolts broke off, and it never got close to reaching the specified torque before it snapped.

The book specifies 24 ft/lbs fill plug, and 30 for cover bolts, but next time I think I will go like 25 on the cover bolts so I can leave my easy-out set in the tool box...
Old 08-15-2006, 11:59 AM

So how many changes is the stock reuseable gasket good for?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would guess until it crumbles or cracks, which I would guess would be a bunch of uses.

I think most of the dealers just suck the old oil out, but I kind of like to eyeball the contact pattern and so forth as long as I'm messing with it.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that I'm a fan of throwing money away, just to be able to change gear oil....

There have been a few threads about Mag Hytec or PML diff covers. 3 advantages to the Mag-Hytec covers:
1) If you fill to the middle of the dipstick range, you will have oil down the axle tube, with more oil lubricating the bearings and seals.
2) You have a disptick to check oil level
3) All surfaces (even the diff face) are o-ringed; NO SEALANT used or required!
The most important:
4) Maintenance is a BREEZE...I can change gear oil in about the same time it takes to change the engine oil!

I have personal experience with the Mag-Hytec covers: They are great in every way. I have no experience withthe PML covers.

HTH

Tony
Old 08-15-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
how many miles are you guys racking up to change the oil so regularly? I have never done it once and I have 56k miles in only 18 months of ownership. Should this be something I really need to tend to?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
how many miles are you guys racking up to change the oil so regularly? I have never done it once and I have 56k miles in only 18 months of ownership. Should this be something I really need to tend to?
I change mine at or around 30-36k never had a problem and its they say it is a lifetime fill but don't like to chance it. Last truck I did 50K but with the noise people had in 03 with the 3rd gen just wanted to keep up with it.
Jon

Quick Reply: How to keep rear axle from leaking after oil change