3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How to find tdc

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to find tdc *Emergency*

can anyone point me in the right direction getting to TDC on an 03
Old 10-17-2006, 08:51 PM

Thumbs down

Logan...
There is only one way to find TDC on any engine and be precise. The problem is that when the piston is at TDC the crank is still rotating and the piston is not moving, so indicators do not work. I have used the following method for more years than I hate to admit and it is the only real way to be exact or nearly so.
You will need a degree wheel mounted to the front of the crank with a pointer. Remove #1 injector or glow plug, something that will give you a threaded hole into the top of the cylinder. With a bolt or stop threaded into the hole deep enough to contact the piston, rotate the crank by hand very slowly until you feel the piston make very light contact on the inserted stop.
Read the degree wheel, maybe even loosen and rotate so the pointer is on zero. Now, rotate the crank by hand slowly in the opposite direction until you feel the piston gently bump the stop. Look at the degree wheel. If you set it on zero and then rotated it the opposite direction and it stopped on 15 degrees, split the difference in two (7 1/2 degrees) and that is your actual TDC. Make sure that you are doing this on the compression stroke

I hope this is what you were looking for. Good luck
Old 10-17-2006, 09:39 PM

I just use the TDC mark on the damper.
If you can feel open lash on the #1 intake and #1 exhaust then the motor is @ TDC. If you have the TDC mark on the crank in the TDC location and both of the valves listed above are in compressed positions then the engine is @ 180* out.

This method works.....
Old 10-17-2006, 11:09 PM

this method will work on any motor. including two stroke chainsaws with no TDC markings.

Originally Posted by Mr Bee
Logan...
There is only one way to find TDC on any engine and be precise. The problem is that when the piston is at TDC the crank is still rotating and the piston is not moving, so indicators do not work. I have used the following method for more years than I hate to admit and it is the only real way to be exact or nearly so.
You will need a degree wheel mounted to the front of the crank with a pointer. Remove #1 injector or glow plug, something that will give you a threaded hole into the top of the cylinder. With a bolt or stop threaded into the hole deep enough to contact the piston, rotate the crank by hand very slowly until you feel the piston make very light contact on the inserted stop.
Read the degree wheel, maybe even loosen and rotate so the pointer is on zero. Now, rotate the crank by hand slowly in the opposite direction until you feel the piston gently bump the stop. Look at the degree wheel. If you set it on zero and then rotated it the opposite direction and it stopped on 15 degrees, split the difference in two (7 1/2 degrees) and that is your actual TDC. Make sure that you are doing this on the compression stroke

I hope this is what you were looking for. Good luck